Just put my Triple.fi in the washer...
Feb 1, 2010 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

TheEhkolite

New Head-Fier
So guys, I just put my Triple.fi's in the washer this evening accidentally. I am letting them dry out now, hoping they will work later. Has anyone done something similar, and what kind of success should I expect with the overall durability of Ultimate Ears products for this treatment.

Moving on to the idea that they are dead now, I am new to being an audiophile. I have fallen in love with sound, and have recently upgraded my speakers for studio monitors in the form of Rokit 6's. I found they made great mixing for the music I make. But I am possibly out of my headphones I really liked. Those triple.fis had a nice noise signature (noise signature?) that I enjoyed. But If they are dead, at what other IEM should I now be looking?

Any help would be appreciated!

The irony is that I was sending them this weekend to Fisher to get them reshelled, and I just forgot about them (they are usually in my UX2 when I get home and generally when out of my ears) as I was rushing to do long over due laundry...

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 21
u could wait a few days and see if they work. if not see if amazon/logitech (whoever u bought it from) would do anything.

if anything they are nice and clean now ;p

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 21
Yo, to a fellow Philadelphia. I am very happy with the pair of CK10s I got last week. I have reshelled TF10s and a pair of Westone 2s, both very nice IEMs with great sound. But now, after 2 days using the CK10s, they are the best universal IEMs I've ever owned, and it's not that close.

Read the CK10 thread. They require a good seal/fit to hit their potential, but when you get it, they are amazing. Again, no need for me to rehash it all here. Read the CK10 threads (there are 2-3 good ones), and you will get the idea.

Oh, and to me, the Shure tri-flanges (white), which are $15 for 3 pair on Amazon, are the perfect tip. You might get by with the stock silicones, but they bothered me. The flanges are perfect.

Sorry for your TF10 disaster. Oh, the CK10s are $199 at newegg.com.

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 21
:\ yikes. Good luck! Usually the procedure for dropping electronics in non-plain water is rinsing in distilled water before drying however i'm not sure about this one.

I recommend putting them in a bowl of uncooked rice and putting them in a warm place (on top of hot water cylinder?) for maybe 3~5 days

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 21
Rinsing them in distilled water is a good idea. You should probably let them soak to get all the soap out. Since these are balanced armature drivers, my favorite means of drying out complex electronics probably WILL NOT work--that is to put them in a bell jar and pull a vacuum on them at room temperature. If the magnet and coil of the balanced armature driver is completely sealed in the housing, pulling a vacuum could result in an distortion of the diaphragm. Try the rice or put them in front of a fan for a week or so. Don't try them out until you're pretty sure they're dry.

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 21
I have washed a cannon digital camera and washed and dried a plantronics Bluetooth headset in the laundry. I still use both. The cannon is slightly worse for wear, but still works pretty much as before. The key is dry before you try!

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 21
Yeah. The rice trick will work.

Submerge the earphones in a bowl of uncooked rice for a day or two. The rice will absorb the moisture from the earphones. DO NOT. I repeat. DO NOT try to listen to music with them until the "drying" is complete.

Leon

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #10 of 21
Isnt the balanced armature sealed except for the sound port? If so, maybe you are lucky in the fact that perhaps the air in the small sealed armature chamber kept the water out. Like if you submerge a straw into a cup of water with your thumb on the other end.

Worst case scenario is that they dont work anymore, voice coil rusts, or they simply dont sound the same.

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 21
Thanks guys, you have been a big help. They are currently mellowing inside a cocoon of rice on a nice warming heater (it doesnt get super hot, just slightly warm) in a sealed container. I have not, and will not, try to test them out for at least 3 days. At which point I will either breathe a sigh of relief or start looking for better IEMs. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I am going to look into these CK10s if the Triple.fi's are broken. tstarn06 I'm assuming you liked the sound of the Triple.fi's due to your reshelling. So I am going to take a serious look into the CK10s. I just got my ear impressions last week, and are those prime candidates for reshelling due to the poor fit?

And aamefford it is awesome your Canon camera still works! Mine has some sand in it and is broken due to that, a few years back, but I still have it. Maybe it could not hurt to put that through the washer!?

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #12 of 21
You mean the TF10s are candidates for reshelling? Yes, that makes sense, but the remold does change the sound a little, not much (a little less bass, more mids). At least mine does.

As for the CK10s, I will say once you get them on and fit properly (Shure tri-flanges recommended), you may not want to listen to the Trips much any more. I know I keep grabbing for the CK10s, not the Trips, or the Westone 2s.

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #13 of 21
Wow, that is quite the endorsement. I am searching around for a good price on them now. I just checked Newegg, and they are as you said: 199. Should I be concerned if I find a really good price on ebay, or some unknown wonderland of cheapery that they are counterfeits? I have heard about the Shure/Senheisser/Audio-tec counterfeits run rampant around ebay and unknown retailers but I was unsure of the types that are currently being counterfeited.

I was actually asking if the CK10s were good candidates for reshelling. But heck if those tri flanges are as good as spoken, 15$(tri flanges) is cheaper than 80$ (Fisher)for a good fit.

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #14 of 21
See AudioDwebe's comment on that point near the end of his review thread of the CK10s. He is concerned that reshelling might just change the soung sig of the CK10s too much, since they were designed to sound they way they do with their current housing (and that might even apply to any high-end IEM). He has a point. I am not risking it with mine. Happy as they are. And fit is not an issue for me any longer, though it was with the stock tips. Check those CK10 threads, especially the AudioDwebe review. He convinced me (along with a few other credible HFers) and boy, was he right.

I would stay away from any price under $199 on newegg. Remember, these were $400 MSRP IEMs in the past.

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #15 of 21
Awesome. Noted!

Now, to wait and see if I need to get those IEMs now, or later...

I am really pulling for my Triples to work, but the CK10s, from the various posts I have been reading through, seem to specify they are superior in a lot of ways. So they might join my collection regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back