Just plugged in my Linn Ikemi...
Jul 13, 2007 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Mindless

1000+ Head-Fier
...and it's just ****ing awsome!

Never has music been this great for me with my HD600. Pure joy. Ear-to-ear smile right now.

Now it's just the matter of getting my GS1000 headphones. Shouldn't be more than 2 or 3 weeks.
600smile.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by klenkar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i*m considering buying one too! Are you still pleased with it?
How much shoulsd I pay?
dd

I'm very pleased with it. It's 100% music enjoyment.

How much you should pay. Since you're from Sweden just as I, I'd say between 10 000 SEK and 20 000 SEK would be a fair price depending on condition and how old it is. Since mine is from the first batch in '99, but in top condition (since it was just a demo at the shop) I paid 14 000 SEK for it. I've seen them go for less on eBay since I bought mine. one sold for about 12 000 SEK a while ago I think. But for me, it's worth it's retail price of 32 000 SEK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by velogreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you done any comparisons with other sources? Since it is a eight year old model, I wonder how it stacks up to newer CDPs in the $2500-$3500 range.

I've actually compared it with sources in the $7000-10000 range. Compared it with the most expensive of the Linn Majik CD players a few weeks before I bought my Ikemi.

Honestly, I couldn't tell much difference between the two. I auditioned the two quite extensively during four hours or so. Surely, the Majik was more refined in it's sound, but the Ikemi just had something that I loved. To me, the Ikemi had much more value, not only did it cost a third or half as much, it sounded pretty much equal or even better than the Majik with the music I listen to.

I'm sure it stacks up pretty well against newer CDPs in the same pricerange. Alot of the components in the Ikemi are used in the more or less legendary Linn Sondek CD12 ($20000+) so it's very high quality. It also has all the outputs and inputs you could ever want. A whole bunch of digital outputs if you want to use it as a transport and two pairs of analog outputs aswell as a pair of balanced outputs.

The buildquality of it is also superb. I've never seen a CD drive that's this stable. Rock solid and made out of milled aluminum so it's got a very quality feel to it.

Aug 7, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 12
I agree, the Ikemi is a very special player. Every time the upgrade itch hits me, I just listen to it!

It has a very smooth, delicate, musical sound. I really can't describe it well enough - it just makes things sound beautiful. The only downside is that it's out of production and getting increasingly difficult to service in case it needs fixing up. Seeing as how the majority of the used units out there are already 5 years old or so, it could be concerning. Due to that issue, I'm looking for a new player to replace my Ikemi, but am having an extremely difficult time finding the same magic in newer units.

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 12
I like Linn. They are a mature audiophile company that has survived through very competitive times because they know how to give their customers what they want:music.

Aug 8, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #7 of 12
I've been offered a 3.5 year old Ikemi for 12000SEK....equals 1780$.....€1300. Balck, to match my Rudistor and they're about the same size!
dom
ps Mindless looks like we'll have to have some kinda meet soon.....!

Aug 8, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by circularlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, the Ikemi is a very special player. Every time the upgrade itch hits me, I just listen to it!

It has a very smooth, delicate, musical sound. I really can't describe it well enough - it just makes things sound beautiful. The only downside is that it's out of production and getting increasingly difficult to service in case it needs fixing up. Seeing as how the majority of the used units out there are already 5 years old or so, it could be concerning. Due to that issue, I'm looking for a new player to replace my Ikemi, but am having an extremely difficult time finding the same magic in newer units.

Agreed. There's something unique with it that just makes music wonderful.

Regarding the age and service of the units though. If it breaks, Linn will replace anything and everything broken (should it break) for a set sum of money. Was something like $200 or $250 I think. That's what the official Linn retailer I bought it from told me anyway.

Just got a Hendrix album (Band of Gypsys). Sounds amazing.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by klenkar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been offered a 3.5 year old Ikemi for 12000SEK....equals 1780$.....€1300. Balck, to match my Rudistor and they're about the same size!
dom
ps Mindless looks like we'll have to have some kinda meet soon.....!

That dosen't sound bad at all. I'd go for it. I doubt you will regret it.

Indeed, a meet would be interesting in the future sometime.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #9 of 12
^

Yeah, I understand that however in the states, the parts to repair the Ikemi are becoming scarce. Also, the local Linn dealers (especially considering the fact that I bought it used) are erm, how shall I put this, *******s.

Aug 9, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by velogreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you done any comparisons with other sources? Since it is a eight year old model, I wonder how it stacks up to newer CDPs in the $2500-$3500 range.

The only player I've heard that competes with the Ikemi is the Marantz CD-94/DA94 (1988) and there's not much in it. The Marantz is more engaging musically on the whole but perhaps a little grainy in the highs sometimes compared to the Ikemi.

Linn's newer player's are nowhere near so well made either having noisy sluggish Sony DVD transports.

At this end of the market the age of the machine is of concern only insofar as the matter of whether you can keep it running if it breaks down, rather than any issue of quantum leaps forward in sonics.

Aug 10, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #12 of 12
I also believe that the Ikemi deserves legendary status. I listened to one a lot one day and ended up with a Genki because I couldn't afford the Ikemi. Now that the prices on the used market are approaching $1500, it would certainly be at the top of my list if I ever have to get rid of my current digital stuff. The only downside is that it is Redbook only. But I think it can slave its clock to a DAC and be a killer redbook transport. I might be wrong on that one, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back