Just paid my GS1000!
Jun 24, 2007 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Mindless

1000+ Head-Fier
The thread name kind of speaks for itself. I just paid my GS1000 with a Black Dragon cable + some extra pads. Total price? $1305

I'm looking forward to hearing them alot, but at the same time, I'm having mixed feelings about the price. Sure is alot of money. Could have bought a bunch of different cans, hell, even a cheap car for it.
gs1000.gif

Anyway. I'll post some impressions once I get them. However, that's about 4-5 weeks away. T_T

Jun 24, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #2 of 27
Congratulations!
You just bought yourself a nice pair of headphones.

Edit: What's the SR-007 doing in your Avatar? I see no such phone mentioned in your profile/signature.
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thread name kind of speaks for itself. I just paid my GS1000 with a Black Dragon cable + some extra pads. Total price? $1305

I'm looking forward to hearing them alot, but at the same time, I'm having mixed feelings about the price. Sure is alot of money. Could have bought a bunch of different cans, hell, even a cheap car for it.
gs1000.gif

Anyway. I'll post some impressions once I get them. However, that's about 4-5 weeks away. T_T

1305$??? That's alot of money! What made you buy GS1000? have you considered that you were very close to the price tag of a Omega 2?
Congrats on your purchase though
smily_headphones1.gif
! Can't wait for you to share
wink.gif

Anyway.....is GS1000 good for classical? I'm thinking too
600smile.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 27
Hehe, thanks everyone!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by OvidiuDanut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1305$??? That's alot of money! What made you buy GS1000? have you considered that you were very close to the price tag of a Omega 2?
Congrats on your purchase though
smily_headphones1.gif
! Can't wait for you to share
wink.gif

Anyway.....is GS1000 good for classical? I'm thinking too
600smile.gif

Yeah, it's alot of money. As for what made me buy them? Well, people seem to regard them as low-level listening 'phones and I got pretty sensitive ears (had alot of problems with them as a kid) and they seemed to complement my music tastes well. Of course, they aren't painful on the eyes either.

I thought about the Omega II at first, but realised it's out of my league. I don't own a proper source to play music into such high-end headphones and a amplifier for them would cost about as much as the GS1000 (at least). My next high-end upgrade will be the Omega II though.

As for good with classic music or not... well, there's some different opinions regarding this. Some have found good amp / source combinations to make them shine with pretty much anything, while others have strongly pointed out that GS1000 is more of a jazz 'phone than a classical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: What's the SR-007 doing in your Avatar? I see no such phone mentioned in your profile/signature.
wink.gif

I don't know really. I just used it when I first registered here and it kind of stuck. But they are somewhat of my 'headphone dream'.
cool.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 27
CONGRATS! Great choice. And the price is good, cos up here in Holland you pay USD 1430 for them, not balanced...

You have to give them the velvet power, TUBES BABY TUBES
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

I don't know really. I just used it when I first registered here and it kind of stuck. But they are somewhat of my 'headphone dream'.
cool.gif

Great goal to strive for!
In the meantime, I am sure the GS1000 will keep you happy.
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Hehe, thanks everyone!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, it's alot of money. As for what made me buy them? Well, people seem to regard them as low-level listening 'phones and I got pretty sensitive ears (had alot of problems with them as a kid) and they seemed to complement my music tastes well. Of course, they aren't painful on the eyes either.

I thought about the Omega II at first, but realised it's out of my league. I don't own a proper source to play music into such high-end headphones and a amplifier for them would cost about as much as the GS1000 (at least). My next high-end upgrade will be the Omega II though.

As for good with classic music or not... well, there's some different opinions regarding this. Some have found good amp / source combinations to make them shine with pretty much anything, while others have strongly pointed out that GS1000 is more of a jazz 'phone than a classical.

cool.gif

For amp maybe you should consider Grace m902. Seems to be the latest discovery to match GS1000.....kind of pricey though....

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by OvidiuDanut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For amp maybe you should consider Grace m902. Seems to be the latest discovery to match GS1000.....kind of pricey though....

Yeah, it's been around for a bunch of years now and always been regarded as a great amplifier, however, the price is just... high. Can't really find a way to motivate such an expensive amplifier. Besides, I don't see a point in getting an amplifier with lots of fancy gimmics unless I plan on using all them.

The Corda Opera seems to be just what I need. Plenty of gimmics (which I'll be using), almost ½ the price of the Grace m902 (I have to pay a 25% customs fee when importing from the US) and easily servicable if problems should arise as Meier is located in Germany and I'm located in Sweden.

Blackmore: Hehe, I sure hope so taking in mind what I paid. Yeah, price isn't bad I guess. Here in Sweden (converted to dollars) they would be over $1500 so it's quite a steal, considering the fact that I bought them with a Black Dragon cable, and the cable alone is $300.

krmathis: I agree.
biggrin.gif

I'm sure they will do just fine untill I've gotten myself a good enough balanced source aswell as sufficient savings for the cans + amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 27
Congrats. It's imperative that you are using the headphones to listen CDs, records, movies, I tried the higher-end Grados with the iPod and realized that the iPod standard format (128 AAC) sounds lossy compared to CDs in the market. This is audiophile territory and I doubt that you might go back to cheap headphones/earphones once you get accustomed to those GS's!

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 27
Congratulations. I hope you enjoy them.
cool.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by vesther /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats. It's imperative that you are using the headphones to listen CDs, records, movies, I tried the higher-end Grados with the iPod and realized that the iPod standard format (128 AAC) sounds lossy compared to CDs in the market. This is audiophile territory and I doubt that you might go back to cheap headphones/earphones once you get accustomed to those GS's!

Don't worry. Anything worse than a high quality recorded CD or below lossless for me sounds like crappy, low-quality Mp3's with my current rig, I wouldn't expect anything less of my new one when everything starts arriving in the mail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations. I hope you enjoy them.
cool.gif

Thanks. I hope I'll enjoy them too. I'm guessing they won't be excellent straight out of the box though... gah, burning stuff in is tedious.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Serious congratulations. I'd love to hear a pair some day
biggrin.gif
Did you order the Opera sans DAC?

Haven't ordered it yet - my whole salary went *boom* with the GS1000.
evil_smiley.gif

I'll be buying it with the DAC since I'll be running it out of both my computer and CDP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back