Just ordered some AKG's!
May 23, 2009 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Germancub

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys I just placed an order for some AKG K601's from B&H photo. I'm so excited as I've been doing so much extensive research on them lately. They seem like amazing headphones. I am going to be returning my HD650's for reasons I am at a loss to explain (please see my "why are my ears ringing?" thread for further info). I didn't want the extreme analytical nature of the K701's due to my lack of a really high quality amp. I wanted something versatile for the broad range of music I listen to that kinda sounds like a cross between the K501 and Sennheisers, with a big soundstage and tight, controlled bass, I think I've made a good choice, any thoughts?
wink.gif

May 23, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 23
Thanks guys! You know I loved my K501s to death too, until they got lost in moving. I've looked everywhere for them I can't find them so they're gone for good. I've always thought of them as one of the most perfect headphones but could use with just a *touch* more musicality and weight to the music. From everything I have read the K601 serves that purpose to a tee. They don't analyse the music like the K701's do, they simply play it. Full review will come as soon as I get them. Holiday weekends suck for ordering stuff, because now I have to wait until Thursday! LOL

May 23, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 23
haha true... but ideally we'd be off AND have our headphones, right?

May 23, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 23
These should really fit that gap you're looking for
wink.gif

May 23, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 23
What amp do you have currently?

I ask because K601 is apparently harder to drive volume wise compared to K701.

May 23, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #11 of 23
I think the 601s fit the description you had above fairly nicely, they are excellent all rounders that are definitely are less analytical and a little smoother than the K701s, with more prominent (but slightly less deep) bass. Enjoy!

May 23, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 23
Good luck with them
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm planning on giving my HD650 a few hours rest tonight and plug in the K601 instead. I've sort of been afraid they would be relegated to gathering dust after I bought the HD650, but I'm starting to get the feeling I'll probably soon end up enjoying both at different times and for different types of music.

May 23, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #13 of 23
Full volume on an obh-11??? no way, I listen to a quarter (at most) with the HD650s. They're honestly harder to drive than those? Is it because of the sensitivity? Anyways, thank you guys for the reassurance and kind replies. Are any of you going to be at canjam? Thursday is the day I get them I'm so excited I can't wait!

May 23, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #14 of 23
Good to be excited about your new gear! I think you'll find the 601 to be all you anticipate. You might find you'll need a little more power to adequately drive them though because of the lower sensitivity.

May 23, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just looked at his sig. he has obh11 and ra1 im afraid that those arent powerful enough for a power hungry cans like the akgs. i have the cantate and i almost always listen to full volume when i use it with the k701.

Are you deaf or is the Cantate that weak? I know for my Compass, K701 users have said they don't even put it half way. With my version, not past 9 o Clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back