Just Ordered Sennheiser HD 595's......
Jul 1, 2007 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

RogerB

100+ Head-Fier
I love my Grado sr 80's but this forum has a way of getting to ya and loosening up your wallet!

I'm anxious to try different cans to see if I like the sound. I love the Grado sound but had to try some Senn's after reading this forum. All the talk of their soundstage, comfort, etc..., peeked my interest. I ordered them from Amazon for $177, including shipping.

So c'mon all you Senn fans......get me even more excited about their arrival....tell me something good!!!!!

Jul 1, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 24
theyre really good for starters...combine them with a tube amp and woo..the bass will come out

Jul 1, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 24
Enjoy! They're nice and comfortable and sound quite good. They did very well for me for a year or so!

As for the tube amp recommendation? I didn't notice much difference by amping them over my H/K receiver. Mostly tightened up the bass a bit and helped the soundstage.

As an all round headphone (as long as you don't need isolation), I found them pretty good.

Jul 1, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by porschemad911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found them pretty good.

What do you find, REALLY good? Im curious. I have the 595's, and love them. But if it gets better let me know.
k1000smile.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you find, REALLY good? Im curious. I have the 595's, and love them. But if it gets better let me know.
k1000smile.gif

L3000
AKG 1000-340
& many more..
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by porschemad911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Enjoy! They're nice and comfortable and sound quite good. They did very well for me for a year or so!

As for the tube amp recommendation? I didn't notice much difference by amping them over my H/K receiver. Mostly tightened up the bass a bit and helped the soundstage.

As an all round headphone (as long as you don't need isolation), I found them pretty good.

One of the reasons I went with the 595's is due to all the posts saying it didn't really need an amp.

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

k1000smile.gif

Oh man, wgr73!! This is what I was hoping to hear. I'm chompin' at the bit for them to arrive!!!

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the reasons I went with the 595's is due to all the posts saying it didn't really need an amp.

I tried the 595s too since it was said to not need an amp. They sounded great, but then I started reading head-fi and then I brought the microstack and the HD650s, among others. But overall they were really good and the price can't be beat.
smily_headphones1.gif
Enjoy them

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
theyre really good for starters...combine them with a tube amp and woo..the bass will come out

I was just reading a thread that gave good reviews from several Head-Fier's who recommended the Little Dot 2 ++ as an introduction to tube amps.
Reviewers said they were a good match with Senn's.

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 24
I got the HD595 and I love them to death. Sound is excellent. I was watching a movie when I first got them and I thought they were broken. Sometimes sound would come from the right, sometimes from the left. Then I figured out what it was, it is call soundstage and this HP had it. I felt so immerse in my sound experience. Whether watching a movie or music, you will love the HD595. The crown King Jack of Trades. Easy to drive, can do it all. $177 well spent, you won't regret it. I realize that once the prices of HP reach pass a point, there is no more which one is the best but a more of differences in sound signature. The HD595 is so comfortable because there is no point in a good pair of HPs if you can't wear it more than 5 mins without your ears sweating or your head itching or your tension in your head. On top of that it comes with a headphone clip for the table. It is the perfect package for any new audiophile wannabe (like myself). Between the HD595 and my IM716 (for isolation, etc....) I'm all set for the next few years or until they break.

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the HD595 and I love them to death. Sound is excellent. I was watching a movie when I first got them and I thought they were broken. Sometimes sound would come from the right, sometimes from the left. Then I figured out what it was, it is call soundstage and this HP had it. I felt so immerse in my sound experience. Whether watching a movie or music, you will love the HD595. The crown King Jack of Trades. Easy to drive, can do it all. $177 well spent, you won't regret it. I realize that once the prices of HP reach pass a point, there is no more which one is the best but a more of differences in sound signature. The HD595 is so comfortable because there is no point in a good pair of HPs if you can't wear it more than 5 mins without your ears sweating or your head itching or your tension in your head. On top of that it comes with a headphone clip for the table. It is the perfect package for any new audiophile wannabe (like myself). Between the HD595 and my IM716 (for isolation, etc....) I'm all set for the next few years or until they break.

Thanks for the post Computerstud. I'm sure now that I will love these cans. Like you, I'm just an audiophile wannabe, only limited by what's in my wallet, or the lack thereof! LOL! My sr 80's were my first venture into audiophile land and they ruined me! I hope the 595's are a nice compliment to the sr 80's.

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #12 of 24
The HD595 are great starter phones.
Enjoy!
lambda.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #14 of 24
Man, Roger, when i got my 595's I sold my Grados. All the detail I loved was up there, but the Senns are SO much smoother. I was listening to a lot of bluegrass at the time, at the Senns blew my SR60s away. Really, I preferred them in every way. I would buy them over any comparably priced Grado all over again.

Now, not to have you spend more money, but start socking it away for some tubes. I played the 595s through a Millett Hybrid, and they absolutely came alive in the bass. I bought them originally because I didn't want an amp, too. However, wait until you have a few more posts here. If you 200 without an amp of any sort, I'll be surprised. Just don't too it so quickly that you don't know what you're listening too. get to know them for a month or two, then try an amp. They don't need it, to be sure, but they love it nonetheless.

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

k1000smile.gif

TBH I've never listened to anything really exotic. The reason I only rate the HD-595 as only pretty good is because of how vastly I preferred my K-501 from the moment I plugged it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back