Just ordered Audio Technica ATH-M50's
Jan 7, 2011 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

gtrplyr201

New Head-Fier
Hello H-Fi, first post here 
redface.gif

I've been browsing the forum for a few days and saw that many people recommended the ATH-M50's in the $150 price range. I did some research of my own and I've finally placed my order today from Zzounds. Shockingly, I found out that Zzounds matches prices so I went searching and found a website that was selling them at $70 
blink.gif
. I sent them an email about it and they said the best they could do was $100 shipped so I went for it since the other place didn't look legit at all. I will be receiving my first "good" pair of headphones on Wednesday 
biggrin.gif
. Nice meeting you all!

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 42
Good luck with them! Give them a burn in and add in a cheap amp like the E5 and you sure will like them!

Quote:
Hello H-Fi, first post here 
redface.gif

I've been browsing the forum for a few days and saw that many people recommended the ATH-M50's in the $150 price range. I did some research of my own and I've finally placed my order today from Zzounds. Shockingly, I found out that Zzounds matches prices so I went searching and found a website that was selling them at $70 
blink.gif
. I sent them an email about it and they said the best they could do was $100 shipped so I went for it since the other place didn't look legit at all. I will be receiving my first "good" pair of headphones on Wednesday 
biggrin.gif
. Nice meeting you all!

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 42
Great choice, sir!
And welcome to the forums!

Don't forget to let em burn in before deciding whether or not you like their final sound signature. Hope you like em!

Edit: Aw, yifu beat me to it. Though honestly I've never needed an amp for my pair, but no doubt they'll sound great either way.

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 42

Quote:
Good luck with them! Give them a burn in and add in a cheap amp like the E5 and you sure will like them!

Quote:
Great choice, sir!
And welcome to the forums!

Don't forget to let em burn in before deciding whether or not you like their final sound signature. Hope you like em!

I will make sure to burn them in, thanks! From what I've heard just throw the iTunes on shuffle at just above normal listening level? And should I do this for 50 hours straight or should I do it in intervals?

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 42
Most people agree on, say, 30 min pink noise, 5 min break. Too much stress on the diaphragm can do more damage than good. But since there is no widely accepted proof burn-in, there isn't much reliable info on the matter. Still, I usually burn 30 min noise - 5 min silence and can't complaint. This website might be helpful: http://www.burninwave.com/

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 42
Good choice! I've gotten rid of headphones in the past (this hobby is brutal on the wallet), but will probably hold on to these forever. An amp isn't even necessary, as they are already quite strong and punchy. There's a great thread on how to fit custom earpads on them too, if that's your thing:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/414574/velour-felt-pads-for-ath-m50 (things get good about 5 pages in)

Hope you enjoy 'em for a long time!

Jan 8, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 42
I don't really know how to properly burn in your headphones, but I just wanted to tell ya that it m50 might be a little tight on your head at first. But if you stretch it by using books or other substitutes (slightly wider than your head width) between the cups for some hours, the headphone stretches into a comfortable fit. I heard from other people that it would stretch on its own in about 2 weeks time, but hey, if you're going to wait until it is all burnt in, why not catch two birds with one stone? 

Jan 8, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 42
you can burn them in by just playing your normal selection of music at a slightly louder volume than normal as pink noise is not necessary. And oh ya just a note, if you receive your M50s in a white box not a blue box you might be disappointed by the bass as the white boxed (newer version) is less of a U shaped sound than the older ones.

Jan 8, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #10 of 42
G'day Guys

Ordered my ATH-M50s from Amazon a few days ago for $116.  They have to be shipped to Australia so I'm hoping they don't take too long!

Chris

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #11 of 42

Quote:
you can burn them in by just playing your normal selection of music at a slightly louder volume than normal as pink noise is not necessary. And oh ya just a note, if you receive your M50s in a white box not a blue box you might be disappointed by the bass as the white boxed (newer version) is less of a U shaped sound than the older ones.

Whaaat, why did they make the change? I just ordered these specifically for the bass.

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #12 of 42

And oh ya just a note, if you receive your M50s in a white box not a blue box you might be disappointed by the bass as the white boxed (newer version) is less of a U shaped sound than the older ones.

Where did you get this info? Just curious as I just received my M50 and they were in a white box. Bass sounds pretty good compared with my old headphones, which were fairly decent.

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #13 of 42
Oh nice I didn't know about the white box vs blue box thing, mine's from a white box too. You mean there was more bass than what I'm experiencing now? Wow. Mine's through with 150+ hours of burn-in and it's sounding really good.
It's rare to find someone disappointed in the m50s haha, have fun with them.

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #14 of 42
i got mine in a white box, after burn in, the bass got more controlled and tightened up. im trying to locate a used set of the blue box version to compare

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #15 of 42
personally think the bass of m50 from white box is perfect for me. I think any more would have been overwhelming...If by any chance any of you guys are pairing it up with a cowon DAP, the EQ change will truly reveal what a bass beast it CAN be. You can change th amount of bass, which is really nice =]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back