Just ordered a Millet Hybrid (first real amp)
May 16, 2009 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

goober-george

1000+ Head-Fier
So, which headphones does this amp like the most? I currently have Alessandro MS-1s and Ultrasone HFI-780s, though those are going away soon. Currently, my source is just a Sony D-15, but I'll hopefully be getting a better source or DAC someday. Can this drive most cans, minus the K-1000?

May 16, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, which headphones does this amp like the most? I currently have Alessandro MS-1s and Ultrasone HFI-780s, though those are going away soon. Currently, my source is just a Sony D-15, but I'll hopefully be getting a better source or DAC someday. Can this drive most cans, minus the K-1000?

In a word... YES!

It sounds especially good with Senns... but... is good with all phones.

May 18, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

I found a pretty good deal on some DT-880s, how will those fare with the millet hybrid?

I suspect... they'll sound good with it. Though... the Millett Hybrid is a fairly bright, detailed amp - and will complement darker phones, like the Senns, a bit moreso than phones which have an especially bright sound.

May 23, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect... they'll sound good with it. Though... the Millett Hybrid is a fairly bright, detailed amp - and will complement darker phones, like the Senns, a bit moreso than phones which have an especially bright sound.

Just got the Millet Hybrid and hooked it up to the line out of my Sony D-15 and I don't find that much of an improvement compared to the headphone out of my Sony D-15. Kind of odd, cause last night I was really enjoying my DT-880s straight out of my I-pod which is surprising, but I find it sounds great. I'm a bit disappointed, but maybe I just have to listen some more. I also hear a low hum, on the left side of my headphone is this normal? *edit* switched tubes and hum is now gone.

The DT-880s do sound a bit fatiguing with the millet hybrid, so maybe I will try the amp out with Sennheisers next.

My MS-1s, seem to have more punch with the amp, and better detail, however I still have to listen some more. Perhaps I need new tubes as these have metallic splotches on them, which from what I've read is a sign of use. Could new tubes make the amp sing better?

May 24, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got mine! Sounds nice with my HD600.

This is a combo Im looking at. Any more details on the pairing?

May 24, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Just got the Millet Hybrid and hooked it up to the line out of my Sony D-15 and I don't find that much of an improvement compared to the headphone out of my Sony D-15. Kind of odd, cause last night I was really enjoying my DT-880s straight out of my I-pod which is surprising, but I find it sounds great. I'm a bit disappointed, but maybe I just have to listen some more. I also hear a low hum, on the left side of my headphone is this normal? *edit* switched tubes and hum is now gone.

The DT-880s do sound a bit fatiguing with the millet hybrid, so maybe I will try the amp out with Sennheisers next.

My MS-1s, seem to have more punch with the amp, and better detail, however I still have to listen some more. Perhaps I need new tubes as these have metallic splotches on them, which from what I've read is a sign of use. Could new tubes make the amp sing better?

Metallic splotches are perfectly normal. That's the getter flash ... and if it doesn't look metallic, then the tube has a problem ... that's the same with almost any tube. Some getter flashes are on the top, some are on the side, but they all provide the same function - a catalyst for the getter to burn off excess gas molecules and preserve the vacuum in the tube.
wink.gif

May 24, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

A good amp won't improve the sound of your source, but will only amplify the sound produced by your source. The increased power of an amp, may make your source seem to sound a bit better, but its usually just louder. And... a good amp... may actually reveal more of the true sound of your source... whether good... or... bad.

A portable CDP, may not be the best match with that amp. To realize the full potential of the Millett Hybrid, you'll likely need to upgrade your source. Believe me... you'll not be disappointed once you've matched a good source to your amp to your phones to optimize the sound of the total system. Careful matching of the various components is the key.

I especially like the amp with the Marantz SA8001, which has a bit warmer sound to complement the sound of the MiniMax.

But... it may still sound better with Senns, than other very bright phones. Though, mine sounds great with Grados, Denons and ATHs, which are all a bit brighter than Senns.

May 24, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 10
I believe I have found the problem. I don't think it was ever the source, even though I'm sure it may be holding back the DT-880s, but it was the kind of music I was playing on the DT-880s, which does not show off its strengths.

I did change the source though to my dvd player, just to see if it could be a better match. Anyways, what I was listening to before, was like mellow rock/acoustic stuff and some alternative. However, I decided to change it up, I don't listen to much metal but, man I put in Metallica's Garage Inc. album, and when I got onto track 6, Am I Evil? I felt like I had entered some post apocalyptic, world. I could clearly hear where every instrument was in all its brutal glory. The DT-880s are best suited, for technical, fast, metal. Which is what they sound like to me brutal, cold, steel.

Switched cds to Ozzman cometh and noticed more positive results. Guess, I'm going to have to listen to more metal or change cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back