Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Mar 31, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #7,366 of 11,346
So I finally modded mine like this:

Plasticine on the back side of the driver baffle. Did not put anything in smaller holes around the driver itself
Plasticine on the outer ring of the cup for better sealing.
2 slices of Dynamat in the back of the cup, a-la BMF 6.3 mod
Thick sound absorbing foam in the back of the cup.

Overall they got better bass. Closing vents, completely or partially didn't affect the sound (I didn't hear the difference)
The highs and midrange got a bit muffled.

I'm waiting on Shure pads and then will start tuning the mids and highs. Probably will remove some of the foam and try to remove white felt on the back and/or black felt on the front of the cup.

Any suggestions?

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #7,367 of 11,346

Quote:
[size=small]Touché[/size][size=small].[/size]

there are better mastered cd, I think made in australia?
there's also a vinyl rip in 24/96.

both sound amazingly better than first release on cd.

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #7,368 of 11,346
So I finally modded mine like this:

Plasticine on the back side of the driver baffle. Did not put anything in smaller holes around the driver itself
Plasticine on the outer ring of the cup for better sealing.
2 slices of Dynamat in the back of the cup, a-la BMF 6.3 mod
Thick sound absorbing foam in the back of the cup.

Overall they got better bass. Closing vents, completely or partially didn't affect the sound (I didn't hear the difference)
The highs and midrange got a bit muffled.

I'm waiting on Shure pads and then will start tuning the mids and highs. Probably will remove some of the foam and try to remove white felt on the back and/or black felt on the front of the cup.

Any suggestions?

Try adding some cotton to clear up the sound, and add some Plasticine in the small hole around the driver.

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #7,369 of 11,346

Quote:
Try adding some cotton to clear up the sound, and add some Plasticine in the small hole around the driver.

I see, I think I might have overdampened them with foam. It is pretty sick, I'd say 4-5mm. I'll remove it and add some cotton.
Thanks!

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #7,370 of 11,346
Was able to A>B test my T50s against some LCD-2 rev 2s for an extended comparison at a meet, along with others there, we had a nice and quiet room. I used a couple different sources and amps; Schiit Lyr, Asgard, Matrix Cube, and my LD I+, my iPad 2 was the source.

First, their sound signatures were so similar it was eerie. The LCD-2s had a bit better bass extension, mids were almost the same as was soundstage, but mine had better detail, speed, and treble definition. Overall, my little Rastas thumped some very popular $1k cans and impressed the folks there, I'm a proud papa.

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #7,372 of 11,346

Quote:
Was able to A>B test my T50s against some LCD-2 rev 2s for an extended comparison at a meet, along with others there, we had a nice and quiet room. I used a couple different sources and amps; Schiit Lyr, Asgard, Matrix Cube, and my LD I+, my iPad 2 was the source.
First, their sound signatures were so similar it was eerie. The LCD-2s had a bit better bass extension, mids were almost the same as was soundstage, but mine had better detail, speed, and treble definition. Overall, my little Rastas thumped some very popular $1k cans and impressed the folks there, I'm a proud papa.

Glad you enjoy them!  Did you do the 840 or the O2?

P.S. The LCD-2 and JH16s were my references during tuning.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 1, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #7,373 of 11,346
840 pads. I don't want to rework everything, plus I really like the comfort of the Shures.

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #7,375 of 11,346

Quote:

Thanks for sharing your impressions on your modified version of the two headphones.  It really seems like you've hit a home run with your mods.  As it stands, I think my T50RPs are quite adequate in the bass department - though, I'd love to hear the LDSs, too.  If you don't mind your feelings, what were your thoughts after the meet when you went home and used your HE-6s? 

Thanks,

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #7,376 of 11,346

Quote:
Wow. That's really interesting, i don't think my t50rp with shure 840 can even compete with mid-fi can.

Pads alone don't make the mods work, it's careful tuning of the design to match the mods to the pad.  Some mods are the same, others are subtly different.  That makes it fun, but if you don't have proper measurement gear it can be hard to avoid creating a peak or a hole in the response, or to assess how certain mods impact transient response.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #7,377 of 11,346
Thanks for sharing your impressions on your modified version of the two headphones.  It really seems like you've hit a home run with your mods.  As it stands, I think my T50RPs are quite adequate in the bass department - though, I'd love to hear the LDSs, too.  If you don't mind your feelings, what were your thoughts after the meet when you went home and used your HE-6s? 

Thanks,

My Rastas don't really compare well with the HE-6s, they have very different sound signatures. Warm and lush vs cool and crisp. Plus the HE-6s have treble detail that's second to none and a much larger soundstage with laser-like focus. That aside, they do complement each other extremely well.

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #7,378 of 11,346

Quote:
Pads alone don't make the mods work, it's careful tuning of the design to match the mods to the pad.  Some mods are the same, others are subtly different.  That makes it fun, but if you don't have proper measurement gear it can be hard to avoid creating a peak or a hole in the response, or to assess how certain mods impact transient response.

However, that also assumes we all have perfect hearing, too.  While the peaks may not be as bothersome to me (if I can't hear that frequency range / level), yet, to another it could be a catastrophe.  
wink.gif
  That's the beauty in each person, we're all unique.

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #7,379 of 11,346

Quote:

IMO, finding and fixing holes and peaks isn't hard even by ear as they are evident, it's slow slopes of responce that are hard to find out by untrained ear, especially without reference.
By the way, would you mind applying full earside foam mod on any of your mods and measuring it? I'd like to, but I don't have access to measuring gear, and by ear, it has killed dips and peaks from 8 to 10 kHz.

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #7,380 of 11,346
IMO, finding and fixing holes and peaks isn't hard even by ear as they are evident, it's slow slopes of responce that are hard to find out by untrained ear, especially without reference.
By the way, would you mind applying full earside foam mod on any of your mods and measuring it? I'd like to, but I don't have access to measuring gear, and by ear, it has killed dips and peaks from 8 to 10 kHz.

Sure... LFF is a case stuDy in tuning by ear alone. He uses tones and certain types of music as his references. I am not as good at that as he is, my ear seems way more sensitive to transient response, which I can tune by ear.

Interesting that you mention the earside foam mod. I have used this on all my mods since the first rastapants, so all measurements include this. However, I have found it is not a universal mod, and can creat some problems with some pads. I may publish some charts on this this week...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back