Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Apr 20, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #1,531 of 11,346
Hey everyone, I have been trying to get one of these (T50rps) here in Canada but they seem to be sold out everywhere .. could you guys point me to any store that has this in stock.

any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #1,532 of 11,346
I did some mods tonight. I just finished it and I can't sleep now. I almost bumped from my chair when I heard the modded T50rp. Oh my.

Here is what I did:
In the earcup,
I put modeling clay all over the interior surfaces. I removed the clay on the back side of the baffle coz I don't think they helped as much, and they are really darn heavy. I also teared away the diaper at the back of the driver long time ago. This time I cut a very thin piece of thick open cell foam(the Magic Eraser, it is a sponge thing used for kitchen that is available for $2-$3), I cut it to be 3mm think and cut a square size, I fit the "Magic Eraser" at the back of the driver using some clays(notice the clay very nicely stick to the foam and it is removable. Nice.) I also tuned the vent and my size of the vent is around 10% of the total vent size, similar as Mrs. Speakers.

Between Ear and the baffle:
nothing, completely stock. I kept the stock felt on for protection purpose though.

Some thoughts for mod:
During my experiments and researches on speaker enclosure designs, I noticed the importance of "box tuning", by tuning the size of the vent and the enclosure volume, as well as the elimination of back wave reflection are the keys for a flat frequency response. Mine sounds stunning good now. Now I feel my T50rp is better than my Stax Sr001(fat cat modded, and worth over $350). I feel really amazed on how deep the bass go, like some bass from sub woofers.

I will keep playing with the stuffing and will update my thoughts.

Thank you so much Mrs.Speakers.

Quote:
I have no mid peak, but when the vent is not tuned that is a different issue.  Under damping the bass made the lower mids really yucky; male and female vocals just sounded like the singers were, well, huge-chested.  Not at all natural in timbre.  The port tuning and changing the damping fabric behind the driver, plus AKASA around the driver on the ear-side of the baffle really worked magic.

Cotton in the enclosure won't do too much, it's not a volume issue, it's reflections off the plastic cup that a) muddy the sound and b) make the original phones sound kind of hollow/reverby.  The Akasa does a fine job on this.

Also, I felt removing the white material behind the driver and replacing it with felt really helped.  I'm guessing, but the white fabric on the back was pretty restrictive for airflow, so it may have been designed to reflect HF back into the driver to "reinforce" the upper range.  With my particular combo of mods, this just left the phone sounding hard and not nice.  Replacing this with a less restrictive felt cleared the mids up further, and left the highs brigth and extended.  

Again, not my LCD-2, but just a real quality, fun listen.  Very lively and engaging.

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #1,534 of 11,346

Quote:
No matter how I tune it, it seems the 850-1K are louder than other frequencies when I do the 20-20K sweep.

I get two treble peaks on mine, but mine isn't stock.
No mids peak.

Apr 20, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #1,535 of 11,346

I guess we have different canal resonance. lol. If you happen to read the thread on "how to properly EQ your headphone" 
I just noticed the mids honk is just nice. I found a peak in 1.4K. Ah.. whatever, currently it sounds too good for me. Sure no one would expect a $75 phone will make me want to sell all my other phones. 
Personally, DT990 is a piece of s**** with thin mids and ear-hurting trebles. Sorry for my rudeness. 

I promise I would never touch my dynamic phones again. Once you are in the team ortho, it is very difficult to get out. 
Quote:

I get two treble peaks on mine, but mine isn't stock.
No mids peak.

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #1,538 of 11,346

Quote:
I guess we have different canal resonance. lol. If you happen to read the thread on "how to properly EQ your headphone" 
I just noticed the mids honk is just nice. I found a peak in 1.4K. Ah.. whatever, currently it sounds too good for me. Sure no one would expect a $75 phone will make me want to sell all my other phones. 
Personally, DT990 is a piece of s**** with thin mids and ear-hurting trebles. Sorry for my rudeness. 

I promise I would never touch my dynamic phones again. Once you are in the team ortho, it is very difficult to get out.

Those aren't my ear canal resonances, actually.

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #1,540 of 11,346

Quote:
Can you describe what mods did you do ?

leeperry mod, more or less, but I didn't get the akasa foam on the cup quite like he did it.  I haven't gotten around to fixing it.

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #1,541 of 11,346
[size=medium]

[size=medium]

[size=medium]
Here are some pictures and instructions with the current scheme of my headphones. Cheers to mrspeakers, joelpearce and leeperry for inspiration and ideas.

[/size]

[/size]

[/size]

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #1,542 of 11,346
@Phaedra
How is the sound? Wow, your pad looks great 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 21, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #1,544 of 11,346

Quote:

I have had a few requests by PM to re-summarize my latest configuration.  This is virtually identical for the 5000 pads or the stock pads, with one exception, which I'll detail later.

Inside:

1) Using plasticine (modeling clay) to damp the front baffle.  

2) Entire back of cup covered in paxmate (not the outer perimeter, there's no audio bouncing around in there, or shouldn't be...

3) Removed the white cover over the driver and replaced with a stiff felt, glued with a 360 degree bead of rubber cement

4) Felt removed from the vent, and the vent ~90-95% covered with electrical tape (interestingly the stock pads and 5000 pads tuned almost identically).   This is a very crucial adjustment.  When the vent is stock, or more so wide open, bass is totally boomy, peaky and under damped.  Individual preferences will vary, as will the tuning based on which pads one uses, which felt, etc.  The best way to tune it is to start with it 100% open then "dial in" a rough estimate of the coverage needed over the vent.  To do this  I simply "sealed" it by pressing gently with my fingers from the outside, and gradually rolling them to open a little of the vent.  It's pretty dramatic, you'll hear the bass adjust in level and damping, as well as the soundstage and midrange.  

Outside:

1) Cut the felt away from around the driver.  With the 5000 pads, I left the driver exposed, and lifted the back of the pads about 1/8" using a piece of weatherstipping.  The stock pads, on the other hand, had a sibilance to them that a thin layer of soft felt over the driver fixed.

2)  Surround the driver on the baffle with Paxmate.

I have pretty much the same mods with the exception of replacing the white cover over the back of the driver with felt. Can you characterize the affect that has on the sound? I'm still trying to tame some upper-mid peaks (e.g. some upper register piano keys, etc. are a bit painful to listen to) without losing clarity and detail in my highs (hi-hats, symbols, etc). Does anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of replacing the white driver cover material with felt, especially in regards to upper-mids and highs?

Thanks!!

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #1,545 of 11,346
Replacing that white material with a felt makes the unit sound less "hard" in the upper registers.  But it will then require you to tune the port to adjust the bass and the resultant increase in lower midrange.  Removing that white material is a one-way trip.

The trick with the mods is to understand that every mod has multiple effects, and there's seldom a single change that only affects one parameter, you have to balance the system with multiple, minor adjustments.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back