Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Mar 15, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #1,351 of 11,346
Quote:
The need for, and benefit from crossfeed will vary with the recording you're listening to. It's never an all or nothing issue with crossfeed.

Thats true, but on the whole I vastly prefer it

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #1,352 of 11,346
Mar 16, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #1,353 of 11,346
Lately, I've been very happy with my T50RP, but they still sounded a bit fuzzy and echoey for my taste.  It turned out to be way more simple than I expected--there was too much space between the baffle and my ears.  I took out everything that I used to tilt the earpads, tilted them (SA5k pads), so that I still had a good seal.  This makes me wonder if the 007 pads would be a bad idea.

Meanwhile, my final revision mod is far simpler than I would have expected.  The new pads, a piece of suede to catch baffle reflections, a thin layer of dynamat with the foil removed in the cup.  I've replaced the driver felt and vent felt with a similar material, but I probably could have left them be.  The sacrifice is a bit of soundstage width, but it has plenty of depth, and I'll take that over flat and wide any day.

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #1,354 of 11,346

Quote:
Lately, I've been very happy with my T50RP, but they still sounded a bit fuzzy and echoey for my taste.  It turned out to be way more simple than I expected--there was too much space between the baffle and my ears.  I took out everything that I used to tilt the earpads, tilted them (SA5k pads), so that I still had a good seal.  This makes me wonder if the 007 pads would be a bad idea.

Meanwhile, my final revision mod is far simpler than I would have expected.  The new pads, a piece of suede to catch baffle reflections, a thin layer of dynamat with the foil removed in the cup.  I've replaced the driver felt and vent felt with a similar material, but I probably could have left them be.  The sacrifice is a bit of soundstage width, but it has plenty of depth, and I'll take that over flat and wide any day.

Pictures 
biggrin.gif
?

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #1,355 of 11,346

Quote:

You can get your ears closer by trying reverse SA5K pads. Sound became a bit congested though, so I used very slight tilting of the pads by placing 1-2mm of spacers in the upper back corners of the pads. Also this helped with comfort. 

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about using paxmate on the ear side of the driver... I found this altered the sound too by reducing the midbass, but I would be careful not to cover the front port hole and not to increase the distance between the ear and baffle.

Mar 18, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #1,356 of 11,346
Well, clearly there are different versions of the Akasa foam...I initially got some second hand patches of it from a friend(who took them off a used PC case...I had to use carpet grade dual sided adhesive in order to install it in the T50RP). Today, another friend of mine sent me some patches of brand new PaxMate he recently bought...they look and sound VERY different:

Mine is stiffer and has much bigger cells..when I make mouth noises before both, it's clear that the damping factor of the new one is much higher than mine. Much more air is captured. A wild guess would be that they increased the foam density after all the bad reviews claiming it to be a poor solution to computer fans damping(and honestly, I don't think mine would be any good for this purpose).

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #1,358 of 11,346

Quote:
Well, clearly there are different versions of the Akasa foam...I initially got some second hand patches of it from a friend(who took them off a used PC case...I had to use carpet grade dual sided adhesive in order to install it in the T50RP). Today, another friend of mine sent me some patches of brand new PaxMate he recently bought...they look and sound VERY different:

Mine is stiffer and has much bigger cells..when I make mouth noises before both, it's clear that the damping factor of the new one is much higher than mine. Much more air is captured. A wild guess would be that they increased the foam density after all the bad reviews claiming it to be a poor solution to computer fans damping(and honestly, I don't think mine would be any good for this purpose).

So which of the two is better?

Mar 18, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #1,359 of 11,346
Dude, you were the one who sent me the new patch
icecream.gif

I dunno, I find my old patches already borderline overdamping, and I don't have another T50RP to run experiments atm. Maybe the improved akasa will be even better, can't tell (yet
killer%20instinct.gif
).

Mar 18, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #1,360 of 11,346
just got the allthorn foam in, I will install it after work tonight and let you guys know the results, cannot wait!

Mar 18, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #1,362 of 11,346
this is ridiculous, I opened up the box, and it says in HUGE letters "PAX.MATE acoustic absorption mats" >_<

so I dont think this is actually allthorn even though the outside of the box says it is.... that is just ridiculous, they must have just had allthorn boxes laying around so they put the pax.mate in it and sold it as allthorn. wtfunk

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #1,363 of 11,346
Probably just OEM stuff, maybe a manufacturing botch-up.  Perhaps the two products are really the same, just private labeled or re-branded.  Happens all the time in Taiwan.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 20, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #1,364 of 11,346
OK, so I've been playing further and have got these babies SINGING.  I've been tuning against LCD-2's as a reference.  Still note a replacement, but I continue to be shocked at how far these have improved over stock.

I have hybridized some of leeperry and joelpierces work.  Here's the current config:

Outside:
1) SA 5000 pads with Paxmate risers on the back of the cup
2) On the ear side, stock felt removed and a stiff poly felt (very minor acoustic effect to reduce sibilance) 
3) 3 ~1cm x 1cm of Paxmate in a "V" pattern pointing  to the front of the head (kills residual midrange bloat)

Inside:
1) Stock white gauze removed from driver back and replace by transpore (the white gauzy one.  Felt still to be tested)
2) Stock felt on cup vent
3) Plasticine (modeling clay) in Red, Yellow and Green 
biggrin.gif
 to mass load the front baffle
4) Paxmate on all interior surfaces of rear cup

These mods have resulted in a very detailed presentation, with a substantial increase in treble, yet with the midrange cleared up, timing and space increased, and prodigious bass.  

If anything, there's still a tad too much treble at the top, cymbals sound a bit too splashy.  I am betting replacing the transpore with felt will fix that by reflecting less top-end back into the driver.  It may open the mids up, too, for the same reason.  That's my theory, and I'll know tomorrow.  

L3000.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back