Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Nov 15, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #10,816 of 11,345
  I don't have any experience with 3D printers. Searches turned up the following as among the best desktop consumer 3D printers:

A new laser sintering (SLA) 3D printer is opening next week on Kickstarter. It looks slick. Created by a Swiss team, the Sintratec 3D printer makes solid, movable, highly detailed and functional models. Interesting but probably over-kill for our purposes. Others that got good reviews include FormLabs' Form 1+, Pagasus Touch, Ice 1, and Ice 9.

The 5th Gen MakerBot may be the go to (FDM) 3D printer for making headphone parts. Does anyone have a recommendation for better 3D printers?

Online 3D printing services is another option that is much more economical unless there's a need for making many components. Has anyone used such services? If so, any recommendations for good providers and those to avoid would be appreciated.

EDIT: As I mentioned, I have no experience with 3D printing and no knowledge about the printers, above. I am not endorsing any of them. I just read reviews on Amazon, FWIW, and saw that MakerBot 5th Gen 3D printer negative reviews (1/5) outnumbered the positive reviews (5/5 and 4/5 combined). 

Theres this guy on YouTube, Barnacules Nerdgasm, who owns a few 3D printers and is pretty active with his viewers there as well as on Facebook where he goes by the same name. You can message him about a 3D printer, though it's usually a shot in the dark when it comes to how fast he'll respond. The one he seems to use most is called "The Ultimaker" though. Here's a link.

https://www.ultimaker.com/pages/our-printers/ultimaker-original

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #10,817 of 11,345
  I don't have any experience with 3D printers. Searches turned up the following as among the best desktop consumer 3D printers:

A new laser sintering (SLA) 3D printer is opening next week on Kickstarter. It looks slick. Created by a Swiss team, the Sintratec 3D printer makes solid, movable, highly detailed and functional models. Interesting but probably over-kill for our purposes. Others that got good reviews include FormLabs' Form 1+, Pagasus Touch, Ice 1, and Ice 9.

The 5th Gen MakerBot may be the go to (FDM) 3D printer for making headphone parts. Does anyone have a recommendation for better 3D printers?

Online 3D printing services is another option that is much more economical unless there's a need for making many components. Has anyone used such services? If so, any recommendations for good providers and those to avoid would be appreciated.

EDIT: As I mentioned, I have no experience with 3D printing and no knowledge about the printers, above. I am not endorsing any of them. I just read reviews on Amazon, FWIW, and saw that MakerBot 5th Gen 3D printer negative reviews (1/5) outnumbered the positive reviews (5/5 and 4/5 combined). 

Unfortunately most of those are not just standard extruding like the "cheap" DIY models. Meaning you need the special powder ect ect. 

I looked up reviews on that 5th gen makerbot. That's very disappointing. They started off as a DIY kit (version one) and it wasn't bad, not the most accurate, but it was made of wood. The 2.0 was a bit finicky but once you got it. It was purely fantastic 

Simple might be better, the UP! printers are not bad Ive heard aswell

Kits are EVERYWHERE now. Im sure it won't be hard to find the perfect one

EDIT: seems all the big 3D printing companies from when I was a tech-club head are gone. UP! looks to be barley hanging on, and Makerbot has tried going for "high quality" over the home-brew greatness

EDIT 2: Found a great review site: http://3d-printers.toptenreviews.com/  Seems that this brand Cubify has taken UP!'s spot. Just be careful. Their higher models (Cubex, CubePro) require refills specific form their website, but their low model the "Cube" just uses standard ABS spools you can buy generally everywhere for dirt cheap. (even HobbyKing stocks them now)

EDIT 3: Dremel (yes the tool) just released a beautiful one $1k, looks to use just standard PLA spools (I think its PLA only). That's the one I want O.o
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NA00MWS?tag=price182-20&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #10,818 of 11,345
I'm using a printrbot simple metal, if you don't need to print your object larger than 150x150x150mm and printing speed is not your concern, then it is a solid and reliable printer at $600, otherwise the ultimaker is the choice, winning every award given for FDM printer, I have not used one but im building one from the ground up using my own design with the inspiration from Ultimaker. I would steer clear from the Makerbot as designwise (mechanically) its nothing special, just the aesthetic looks nice.

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #10,819 of 11,345
Was looking out for a printer to as I started modelling a new baffle. Found a pure geek who explained me the disadvanteges of those cheapo/asian parts printer and decided to wait. As I don't know if I will use the printer once I have the best suiting baffle. So I use a local service. The guy is self employed and charges about 30-40€ for 2 baffles. Depending on the size and detail. Its ok and the quality is great. You can see one big monster baffle which I done for my custom HM5 pads.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/739131/3d-printed-baffle-customized-hm5-pads-for-the-fostex-t50rp/0_60#post_10977300
Now redesigning it for the Alpha Pads which sound/measure best with my mods. The subfreq. are massive with those pads with a better soundstage..
So I can recommend using a service if you know how to model. Otherwise its going to be expensive

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #10,820 of 11,345
Jeez, these 3D printers take ages. I visited a place last week and one medium size part they were making took 7 hours. Good to get a proto cast maybe.

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #10,821 of 11,345
Is the 50ohm on the t50rp a misprint ? Seems more like 350ohm. On my beyer 250's I put the amp to 8/10 and the volume @ 28/100. On the fostex I have it on 10/10 amp and 45/100 volume. 

edit: Using Casper's T50rp's

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #10,822 of 11,345
  Is the 50ohm on the t50rp a misprint ? Seems more like 350ohm. On my beyer 250's I put the amp to 8/10 and the volume @ 28/100. On the fostex I have it on 10/10 amp and 45/100 volume. 

edit: Using Casper's T50rp's

Yes, 50 ohms in Stock configuration. Once they're modified with extra damping, the efficiency goes way down and they require more amplification.

Nov 30, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #10,823 of 11,345
Hi all,
 New to the forum and hope this gets posted correctly.
I just received my T50RP's and they sound great right out of the box (I will be modding them). I really like the sound. My only other headphone experience is with my 2 year old ATH-M50's which are good sounding to me also. I think I'm liking the T50RP's better.

Is there any burn-in or break-in procedure for this type of headphone?
Thanks, Jess.

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #10,824 of 11,345

I just received my T50RP's and they sound great right out of the box

You have to mod them, it's the law 
wink.gif

Seriously a few dollars and a little time can make them so much better

http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements

do the basics and enjoy.

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #10,825 of 11,345
  Hi all,
I just received my T50RP's and they sound great right out of the box (I will be modding them). I really like the sound. My only other headphone experience is with my 2 year old ATH-M50's which are good sounding to me also. I think I'm liking the T50RP's better.

Thanks, Jess.

Hey Jake, (and everyone else.. It's been a while since I have posted in here)

People go round and round with burn-in on any given pair of headphones.. I suggest just listening to them and giving them a little time to potentially "open up" before you start modding.. It cannot hurt. Put some hours on the cans or run some noise through them and tell us what you think about burn in :)

You can grab a "burn-in" file at the link below, you used to be able to stream it.. But, I guess they switched stuff around. You can also just use music, of course..

Happy listening!

http://www.jlabaudio.com/pages/audio-burn-in

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #10,826 of 11,345
Hi all,

Thanks, Jess.

I believe in break-in, I feel my T50RPs do sound different, my old Sony ma-300s had a significant change.

But just put some hours on the cans, then mod them, it won't hurt either way, many mods are reversible anyways

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #10,829 of 11,345
How well do the hm5 pads fit on the t50rp? I've seen people try and put them on other pairs of headphones and they fit but they don't look right. 

They fit but it's a really tight fit, especially the first time you put them on. It takes some patient but it's possible :wink:

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #10,830 of 11,345
  How well do the hm5 pads fit on the t50rp? I've seen people try and put them on other pairs of headphones and they fit but they don't look right. 

They are great, but you really have to stretch them and work them on slowly to get them to fit without tearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back