Just joined the D-777 club....
Mar 14, 2002 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Pat

100+ Head-Fier
Well, after a much maligned sale and a three month wait, my d-777 finally arrived at my front steps this evening. Let me just say that having to wait for so long for something really kills any sort of giddiness a new toy can bring. When I unwrapped the package however, I was amazed.

The d-777 is by far the most beautiful portable I have ever seen. It resembles something more like a product out of this year's lineup than the grandfather it has been made out to be. Size-wise, it's comparable to the top models on the market today. I can't believe it was manufactured 5 years ago. Cosmetically speaking, the only portable that might look better is the ej1000.

In terms of functionality though, this beast hasn't aged quite as nicely. The controls are sluggish, the transport is noisy and pick-up is rather slow by today's standards. Another oddity is fact that the add-on battery pack blocks the line-out. Granted I'm running it straight out the headphone jack to my er-6's, but still. I'd like to have the option.
wink.gif

That said, the d-777 sounds better than any portable I've heard. It doesn't come anywhere near a basic home player like my Cambridge D500, but it's still leagues ahead of my previous portables. The sound is much more refined and noticeably fuller. Most other portables I've owned or tried have sounded dry and thin. It's something that has always made me weary of "high end" portable audio. And one more thing... this puppy goes LOUD. I'm fairly content with the volume at "3".

All in all, I'm quite happy to add the d-777 to my ever growing audio collection.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #2 of 6
Welcome to the club
smily_headphones1.gif

I appear to be the founder member having had mine since 1995, some two years earlier than anyone else in the US, but... mine is still going strong

You will find unfortunately, that slowness is a D777 trait, although not to excess - is still noticeable compared to newer players

Mar 14, 2002 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 6
pat,
welcome and i'm glad you're enjoying it. take care of it and it should last for years.

Mar 14, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 6
So far the only problem seems to be those rechargable batteries. Which, by the way are dead.
frown.gif

Anyone know where I can get a pair of nh-14wm gumstick batteries cheap? Online preferably?

Thanks.

Mar 14, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 6
Hyper Jack

i just bought two gumsticks from this guy for $22 each. this is the cheapest i could find in the u.s. he ships from japan and i got my order in about 3 working days to seattle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back