Just joined k7xx drop, need recommendations for budget dac/amp combo. SMSL M6 or fiio e10k any good??
May 24, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #16 of 23
(Good news & bad news)

Good news is there's a very thorough review of the E17K right here on head-fi, including the max output current (>80 mA). Check http://www.head-fi.org/t/750264/fiio-e17k-review

Bad news is I checked me E10K manual for current rating (not there). Also went to FiiO's english website and checked there for a current spec on the E10K (again,
not there). Check for yourself @http://fiio.net/en/products/27

But IMO the deeper issues here, besides current ratings, are design and usability. The review of the E17K makes it pretty clear that this device, while possessing
certain sonic virtues (not shrill/bleached sounding, as many inexpensive DACs are--quite the opposite; and actually having a "sound"), has serious usability issues surrounding the volume wheel, menu structure, cross-talk among simultaneously connected inputs, etc. Also, if you look at the form-factor of this device (which contains a powerful, slim-profile battery), you realize you're paying double what the E10K costs because the E17K is designed to be a true portable DAC/amp that can be rubber-banded to a smartphone and put in your pocket or carry bag. The E10K, while quite small, does not have that same flat, iPhone-like form-factor. It's a mini-desktop unit.

I've tried and failed to find out what the respective output current capabilities of these devices are. But I'd bet the difference, if there even is one, is minor--while the design, usability, and cost differences are significant.

Given that you've said you want this for desktop use, it looks to me like the the E10K is a better choice. Maybe you can email FiiO from their support page on the website and find out the output current of the E10K....? (that's what I would do, in your shoes).

May 24, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #17 of 23
81.6mA vs >115mA

hmmm

I know. Hmmm...I have no idea if that's significant. (lol) People get so carried away with number specs sometimes without knowing if they really mean anything.

For instance, did you know that the difference between 100 and 125 watts is not worth worrying about at all? It takes double the wattage to get a +3db increase in output. A +10db increase in output is generally considered twice as loud in how we perceive it. So 100 to 125 watts speaker amp isn't even a 1db increase. Or a headphone amp that is 1000 watts vs. 1250 watts. Also not a +1 db increase. And yet, I see people get all excited about those differences as if it matters.

Maybe someone else knows how much the difference in current matters in terms of db output.

May 24, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #18 of 23
  (Good news & bad news)

Good news is there's a very thorough review of the E17K right here on head-fi, including the max output current (>80 mA). Check http://www.head-fi.org/t/750264/fiio-e17k-review

Bad news is I checked me E10K manual for current rating (not there). Also went to FiiO's english website and checked there for a current spec on the E10K (again,
not there). Check for yourself @http://fiio.net/en/products/27

But IMO the deeper issues here, besides current ratings, are design and usability. The review of the E17K makes it pretty clear that this device, while possessing
certain sonic virtues (not shrill/bleached sounding, as many inexpensive DACs are--quite the opposite; and actually having a "sound"), has serious usability issues surrounding the volume wheel, menu structure, cross-talk among simultaneously connected inputs, etc. Also, if you look at the form-factor of this device (which contains a powerful, slim-profile battery), you realize you're paying double what the E10K costs because the E17K is designed to be a true portable DAC/amp that can be rubber-banded to a smartphone and put in your pocket or carry bag. The E10K, while quite small, does not have that same flat, iPhone-like form-factor. It's a mini-desktop unit.

I've tried and failed to find out what the respective output current capabilities of these devices are. But I'd bet the difference, if there even is one, is minor--while the design, usability, and cost differences are significant.

Given that you've said you want this for desktop use, it looks to me like the the E10K is a better choice. Maybe you can email FiiO from their support page on the website and find out the output current of the E10K....? (that's what I would do, in your shoes).

according to fiio's website

e10k max current: 81.6mA http://fiio.net/en/products/27/parameters
e17k max current: >115mA http://fiio.net/en/products/38/parameters

ui issues on the e17k should not be a issue for me as i will just set once and leave it on plugged to my desktop? music playback etc on foobar etc..

just wondering if the e17k higher current is beneficial for the k7xx or is the e10k enough?

reading more and searching online brings limited results for k7xx with e10k/e17k.

The more i read the more confusing it gets.. some say e10k is sufficient but some say it might sound thinny, so many conflicting opinions

Of course, i would like to save money by getting the e10k but then again i'm worried it's not good enough by not buying the e17k instead. 

May 24, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #19 of 23
I know. Hmmm...I have no idea if that's significant. (lol) People get so carried away with number specs sometimes without knowing if they really mean anything.

For instance, did you know that the difference between 100 and 125 watts is not worth worrying about at all? It takes double the wattage to get a +3db increase in output. A +10db increase in output is generally considered twice as loud in how we perceive it. So 100 to 125 watts speaker amp isn't even a 1db increase. Or a headphone amp that is 1000 watts vs. 1250 watts. Also not a +1 db increase. And yet, I see people get all excited about those differences as if it matters.

Maybe someone else knows how much the difference in current matters in terms of db output.

Yes!! That's my dilemma now lol, not sure if the number specs difference is a real difference or just spec chasing...

If only there more people with real world experience who own the actual devices but my search on the net brings limited results... looks like those who own the k7xx all had very powerful setups. 

Then again i also came across people plugging straight to their laptop or phone without anything and they said it sounded good.

Sound is subjective i get it, i just want to get the best bang of buck device which i afford now. Not as easy as i thought hahahahaha

If budget is not an issue i will just whack the modi magni stack and forget about it. lololol

May 24, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #20 of 23
Hello,

You can drive the K7XX with FiiO E10K just fine.

Main advantages for E17K is that it has a battery so you can use it on the go as a portabe amplifier (or even as a portable DAC/Amp under certain circunstances)
It also decodes DSD (think of it as a digital SACD player) and it has a few more features than E10K.

In the big scheme of things, both are similar sonically, and both will power the K7XX just fine.
If you happen to listen at extreme levels, then you'll be pushing both near its maximum (E10K and E17K) but I must warn you that's not healthy anyway.

Not saying that E10K will sound the same as the Sennheiser HDVD 800 or a Burson Conductor, but E10K will get you quite close considering its price.

Happy Listening!

May 24, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #21 of 23
Looking at current specs is useless when the amp is voltage limited for that particular load (K7XX)

May 25, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #22 of 23
After hearing all the suggestions and advice from you guys, i went ahead and got the fiio e10k! Just got to wait for my k7xx to arrive now.

Thanks all for the help!! Cheers!! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 4, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #23 of 23
The M6, if you bother to look at it, has a 1/4" headphone jack in the front plate for a reason...I have both the Fiio and the M6 and the zm6 is WAY better...You can power 600 ohm cans with the M6 and can't with the 10K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back