Just got my Ultimate Ears CSX 11's...experience from Fit Kit to in my ears
Oct 4, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #61 of 81
I've been watching this thread for a while. I ordered 2 CSX5's - one for me, one for my wife - along with some custom colors, etc.

We've had them for about 6 weeks now and both sets are going back with professional impressions to have them remade. My set fits "ok", but doesn't completely seal in either of my ear canals. This left me with no low end bass on the IEM's, unless I pressed on them with my forefingers. I too fly a lot for work and was looking forward to the noise isolation I was expecting, but it just wasn't really there, again unless I pressed on them with my fingers. While my right ear was relatively comfortable to wear for a few hours at a time, my left ear had some discomfort in a few areas after about an hour or two of wearing.

I filled out the refit form on the website and UE sent me some comply strips. I put them on before my last trip, down near the end of the IEM. The low end was definitely improved as well as the noise isolation. The comply strips are a bit rough feeling in your ear canal, but they are not intended as a permanent solution.

My wife, on the other hand, did not have a good fit in either ear. She has really small ear canals as well as the bowl and upper area, and she could not get them to fit at all. She could only wear them for 15-20 minutes before she had considerable discomfort and her ears got hot and red.

We filled out the refit form for her as well, and sent in new pictures.

I asked about getting impressions done for her 1st, and me as a backup -- and Lorden from customer service got us both approved for new builds from custom impressions. I will say that, yes we spent about $1,600 for 2 sets with 2 leather cases and want them to be as close to perfect as possible, but overall the customer service we've received has been GREAT. Lorden has worked with me, through all my back and forth emails and photos and has provided spectacular customer service. For UE, they're getting back 2 brand new sets of IEM's that - who knows what they do with them, but through the whole process, that has gone beyond the return timeframe, they've been spectacular to work with.

In conversation with Lorden, she made it known that they will work with customers out of the return window - provided that you work with UE and provide regular updates to the fit and performance when you get them.

I'm sending our impressions in today and hope to get them back in a couple of weeks. While I have a lot of travel the next few weeks, the Mrs and I are flying to Phoenix AZ for the NASCAR race in November. I'd love to have them back by then so we can use them on the flight and at the track.

Lorden is fantastic...looking forward to hearing how they turn out with the professional impressions.

Oct 10, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #63 of 81
Well, two months almost to the day of my first delivery (August 12), I now have a fully functioning, perfectly fitting, pair of UE 11 Pros. If you're just getting to this thread, I started with the Fit Kit and the CSX 11s and I tried to get used to them. Left ear was perfect and right ear just wouldn't fit right without fiddling with it every 2 minutes. Used em for a week to try to adjust, never happened. Sent them back for an adjustment and got them back a few (3) weeks later. To me, it didn't seem like they changed them at all. May have been a tiny bit different, but nothing that fixed my issues w/ the right ear. I contacted them again and asked if I got real impressions, if they could redo them w/ the Pro fit. Lorden (as mentioned) was awesome and got it approved and I sent in my impressions a few weeks ago.

Got them today, put them right in...wasn't any more difficult to insert even tho they are a little bit longer. I must have straight canals or something. But went in no problem, perfect seal and I don't feel the need to fiddle with them at all now. Been wearing them for the past hour + and no pain at all. So after all this, and a grand, I'm finally happy. I was willing to deal with the fit issues and wait times because I wanted my money to be spent on "perfection" and I finally got to it. So if you're having some issues, just contact them and be patient. They'll get you setup right.

Oct 19, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #64 of 81
Lorden is fantastic...looking forward to hearing how they turn out with the professional impressions.

We got our Pro Series IEM's back the other day - my wife has been using them for a few days (while I was on a work trip), and she had nothing but rave reviews on how much better they were. I got back tonight and have been using mine for about an hour, and all I can say is WOW! The fit, sound quality and noise suppression is amazing. This is what I envisioned these IEM's would be like. While my wife definitely needed custom impressions, I might have been able to get away with the standard fit kit ones (not knowing any better), but I am ecstatic with my custom impressions and that Lorden was able to get them approved for both of us. I don't see how the fitkit one's could even come close to the performance and fit these provide. They slide right into my ears ... I do need to take them in and out over the next few days to learn how best to remove my right side - it fits a little deeper than my left ear, and takes a little more effort to remove it.

All I can say is that if you're in the market for a set of Ultimate Ears is that you may want to consider asking if you can get professional impressions up front - and pay the cost to get them. For us it was $80 each. An investment well worth it.

I have some more work and vacation flights over the next couple of months and can't wait to see how they perform on a flight.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #65 of 81
Well, two months almost to the day of my first delivery (August 12), I now have a fully functioning, perfectly fitting, pair of UE 11 Pros. If you're just getting to this thread, I started with the Fit Kit and the CSX 11s and I tried to get used to them. Left ear was perfect and right ear just wouldn't fit right without fiddling with it every 2 minutes. Used em for a week to try to adjust, never happened. Sent them back for an adjustment and got them back a few (3) weeks later. To me, it didn't seem like they changed them at all. May have been a tiny bit different, but nothing that fixed my issues w/ the right ear. I contacted them again and asked if I got real impressions, if they could redo them w/ the Pro fit. Lorden (as mentioned) was awesome and got it approved and I sent in my impressions a few weeks ago.

Got them today, put them right in...wasn't any more difficult to insert even tho they are a little bit longer. I must have straight canals or something. But went in no problem, perfect seal and I don't feel the need to fiddle with them at all now. Been wearing them for the past hour + and no pain at all. So after all this, and a grand, I'm finally happy. I was willing to deal with the fit issues and wait times because I wanted my money to be spent on "perfection" and I finally got to it. So if you're having some issues, just contact them and be patient. They'll get you setup right.

Nice, was wondering how you were getting on with them. It seems for the moment it's still best to get "real" impressions done first and get them scanned for a digital file that you can then send to others if you want to. Enjoy.

Nov 30, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #68 of 81

We got our Pro Series IEM's back the other day - my wife has been using them for a few days (while I was on a work trip), and she had nothing but rave reviews on how much better they were. I got back tonight and have been using mine for about an hour, and all I can say is WOW! The fit, sound quality and noise suppression is amazing. This is what I envisioned these IEM's would be like. While my wife definitely needed custom impressions, I might have been able to get away with the standard fit kit ones (not knowing any better), but I am ecstatic with my custom impressions and that Lorden was able to get them approved for both of us. I don't see how the fitkit one's could even come close to the performance and fit these provide. They slide right into my ears ... I do need to take them in and out over the next few days to learn how best to remove my right side - it fits a little deeper than my left ear, and takes a little more effort to remove it.

All I can say is that if you're in the market for a set of Ultimate Ears is that you may want to consider asking if you can get professional impressions up front - and pay the cost to get them. For us it was $80 each. An investment well worth it.

I have some more work and vacation flights over the next couple of months and can't wait to see how they perform on a flight.

Great to hear guys...I am continuing to love mine as well...flying to Cali from NY this week and look forward to the flight because of my UE IEM’s..

Nov 30, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #69 of 81
Question guys, are these ciems goodf for edm music? What are your thoughts?

Sorry, definitely missed this the other week when you asked. Yes, good for EDM for sure. That’s why I went with the 11s because they have the dedicated low frequency driver. I listen to mostly hip hop and they are fantastic reproducing the low end so they’d work great for EDM as well. I really have no issues at all with the sound of these once I got a proper fitting pair.

Dec 1, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #70 of 81
So has anyone seen the new Fostex, True Wireless bluetooth adaptors for the UE Customs?

I saw a Black Friday ad and they are promoting these as a new Limited Edition. I'm guessing the Fostex adaptors are/will be available for purchase. It looks like they might be about $300.

I've had over the ear earbuds like this, but not sure I would get them. They might offer a little more convenience, as well as longer usage time - but I'm not really that unhappy with the current bluetooth adaptor.

hero-desktop_1800x.progressive.png.jpg

Dec 1, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #71 of 81
Um, I’d buy those in half a second. That would be fantastic! Tho 300 seems a bit steep given the competition, but to make customs over ear true wireless, I’m sure we’ll have to pay for that right.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #72 of 81
I have posted before here. I have been using mine every day for probably 2 months. At the beginning I thought they were wrong, but I was patient and every day they got better. Now I love them and have use them fo 9 hours straight. They fit great and I would not change anything on them. I have an older UE from maybe 10 years ago and the new ones are a lot more comfortable. I will buy another pair in the future.

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #73 of 81
Um, I’d buy those in half a second. That would be fantastic! Tho 300 seems a bit steep given the competition, but to make customs over ear true wireless, I’m sure we’ll have to pay for that right.

As I said, I've had other over the ear wireless earbuds ... for a lower end price point, I was pretty happy with the JLab Audio Epic Air Sports, but I wear glasses and they can get uncomfortable after a while. I've really gotten used to the current UE bluetooth cable. It really doesn't both me at all. If I'm wearing them with the battery attached, it's a little more noticeable, but not a deal breaker. Some callers report the phone audio isn't the greatest when I have the mic/control pack behind my ear though.

Phone audio was ok for me on the JLabs, but not the greatest for callers either

Epic_Air_Sport2_2000x.jpg

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #74 of 81

There is a UE Custom retailer about 45 mins from me. Once the Fostex hit the market, I may go down and see how they fit/feel in the new year.

Dec 9, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #75 of 81
Those Fostex look cool, I don't know how they would deal with folks that already have that IPX connecter with the new CSX's or even the full Pro's. The Fostex is a MMCX, and it looks like their package with the 18+'s would be specifically made with the mmcx connection, and not the IPX SuperBax or their old Bluetooth Jaybird Style cable. I was thinking about ordering a CSX mainly for the convenience and size, but knowing I wouldn't be able to add those Fostex in the future might be a minus, especially if this is going to be their standard wireless solution going forward.

I guess we could order the pro and or CSX and request the MMCX connection, but then we'd have to use an older UE900S cable or use one we already had if we didn't go Fostex bluetooth right away?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back