Just got my RS1i - and it arrived wounded
Mar 9, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #31 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spend a couple bucks at hobby store for some touchup stain and avoid the trouble of sending them back. I know they should not have come in that condition, but in the long run it will be less of a hassle for you than trying to teach Grado a lesson. You might also consider sending that picture to Grado. Maybe a discount or at least a refund of shipping charges is possible.

This is the best thing to do. It's what I'd do seeing I couldn't be arsed waiting for my awesome headphones to return from the plastic surgeon.

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #32 of 77
If you like their sound, then keep them. The RS1i is very close to the top and many have said the GS1000 is a completely different beast. If you don't particularly like the sound, then return them.

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #33 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkJnK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unacceptable at that price.

I agree, there would be no way I would accept a flaw like that for a newly purchased high priced product even if it is just cosmetic.

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #34 of 77
I'm actually tempted to buy second hand because I can see what the finish is like.
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #35 of 77
I would absolutely send them back. In my opinion, new means flawless. Anything short of flawless is absolutely unacceptable, especially at the extreme high end where you are paying a premium.

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #36 of 77
Is it Grado or the distributor(company bought from)? I am thinking about getting a RS1i and this is very disappointing to read. Grados, from the pictures I have seen, look very cheaply made in general. Looks like they won't last up to the year, even with non abusive use.

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #38 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, there would be no way I would accept a flaw like that for a newly purchased high priced product even if it is just cosmetic.

If they sound great, I would keep the phones and be proud. Getting rid of them would be like dumping a hot girl because one breast was larger than the other when this is a common occurance.

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #40 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fire Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it Grado or the distributor(company bought from)? I am thinking about getting a RS1i and this is very disappointing to read. Grados, from the pictures I have seen, look very cheaply made in general. Looks like they won't last up to the year, even with non abusive use.

Finish to plastic parts are not clean at all. However they are suprisingly strong enough to withstand abuse. Sometimes I sleep with headphone on and wake up with me on top of phone with no damage.

But that wound is not on plastic but on WOOD! not accetable!

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #42 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by CTechKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The picture may not be portraying everything. The exposed wood you see in between the charred wood just above it, and discolored grate below it, is from what I can only guess was a micro fire that broke out during some soldering procedure.

I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm going to return them. Living in Canada, this whole shipping back and forth procedure is lengthy and ultimately annoying.

You know, being an artist, I spent years in wood-shop in college. It often happens that when a piece of wood is ripped or bored through too quickly that a burn mark can occur. This can also happen with an irregularity in a piece of wood and this just isn't good craftsmanship. I agree with everyone here, send them back.

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #43 of 77
Return it for a new pair. The wood should be perfect.

As a side note, I'm a fan of the rough, natural wood look. After years of doing custom wood work for a living I got tired of super smooth, shiny finishes on everything. Grado cups look like wood because they are wood. This is good.
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #44 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they sound great, I would keep the phones and be proud. Getting rid of them would be like dumping a hot girl because one breast was larger than the other when this is a common occurance.

I have never come across such findings before! I guess it depends on where you're coming from...Canada, eh?
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back