Just got my RS-1
Sep 12, 2008 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

wolf18t

100+ Head-Fier
Just to say that I just got my RS-1 from robinje. They are nice on pictures but in person, they're really sexy. The shells are bigger that they look like on pictures they are really light and seems pretty comfortable after all.

I'll compare them to my DT-880 '03 this weekend and try (I'm not very good for describing what I hear) to write a review in this thread.

I do not yet have the time to listen to them but I will before sleeping tonight, my rig is in my bedroom. So you can bet that I will go to bed very early tonight!
gs1000.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 22
Enjoy! I listen to my 325is pretty much the same way before I sleep.

Sep 12, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf18t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to say that I just got my RS-1 from robinje. They are nice on pictures but in person, they're really sexy. The shells are bigger that they look like on pictures they are really light and seems pretty comfortable after all.

I'll compare them to my DT-880 '03 this weekend and try (I'm not very good for describing what I hear) to write a review in this thread.

I do not yet have the time to listen to them but I will before sleeping tonight, my rig is in my bedroom. So you can bet that I will go to bed very early tonight!
gs1000.gif

Wow lol, I just replied to you in my thread
icon10.gif
Congrats on the RS1s!!! I'm jealous! No seriously, it's awesome. Let us know how they sound like etc! I'm very curious:]

Sep 12, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 22
Congrats with your new cans! Sometimes I find the RS-1's to be weird. Other times I love them for their sweetness in tone.

Enjoy!

Sep 12, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 22
Glad with you.I have DT880(2005 ed) and I heard RS1 from my friend many times.I've found I even love RS1 more than my DT880
Great that you have them both

Sep 12, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 22
Congratulations with a fine pair of headphones!
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 22
I finally listened to my newly acquired RS-1 last night. The music that was involded were two of my all time favorite albums: Pink Floyd Meddle and (MSFL) RUSH Signals.

The first thing I noticed, tonally the RS-1 are very very different from the DT-880 '03. The RS-1 presents a very forward mids. So much I had to turn down the volume as I found it too agressive. After a few minutes, my ears slowly get accustomed and I was able to boost the volume but not very much. This was no surprise to me, RS-1 forward midrange is well discussed on the forums.

The second thing I noticed is the narrower soundstage. It's narrower from left to right, no doubt about that, but I think the RS-1 offer more depth or it's just more easy to notice. Still, the instruments are very easy to place and are focused. Going from the DT-880 to RS-1 made me the impression I was going from planar speaker (with big, large and airy soundstage) to good bookshelf monitors (small but precise soundstage). Again I was not surprised, this a known Grado sound tradeoff.

But I was surprised by this: I found the the bass of my RS-1 dry and thin. Nowhere as extended as the DT-880 and no punch either. But it's a lot more articulate, it was very easy to distinguish every notes from Geddy's bass. This is certainly a little deception for me I was expecting something more weighty than my DT-880. I wish it's a burnin problem. The previous owner put about 50 hours on them. This is also the newer "buttonless" version, some said they are drier than older RS-1 with buttons.

But there's one thing I like a lot more on the RS-1, it's their treble: extended, smooth and finely grained. Cymbals just sound more natural and metallic than the DT-880. Very sublime.

The RS-1 are fast on their feet. I had the impression the music was played on a slightly faster tempo. They offer a very rythmic and musical presentation something like an all Naim audio system (if you have already hearded a complete Naim rig you'll understand what I mean).

That's all for today, I hope my english wasn't too bad.
smile.gif

Sep 13, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 22
Very nice impressions, thanks. RS1, as the most Hphones, would sound different if you use them with different systems/amps, so experimenting is the way to go.

Sep 13, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #10 of 22
Usagi has it right, RS-1's demand flats
smily_headphones1.gif

Very astute of you to pick up the depth of the RS-1's. Even with bowls, RS-1's have a relatively small headstage compared with other headphones. This provides that "upfront and personal" experience many write about but what is stellar about the RS-1's is how the music trails off into the distance as if the music is played in a great space. The elongated cups help with this in a big way. THe RS-1's thus offer a very unique experience, with a very upfront presentation while maintaining a sense of grandeur for the music. For those that want grandeur in space throughout the piece, Omega II's, R10's or the like will be required.

Sep 13, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #11 of 22
that's what i dig about the rs-1, its fast sound and dynamic treble. i find the bass to be a little bloated although more natural than most, actually prefer the taut sr225 bass.

x2 on flats, they were designed for flats and absolutely must be used with them otherwise you lose cohesiveness and the sound becomes thin.

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Acquire some Todd Flats (pads) if you need more weight. Anymore meat on the bone will require the legendary PS-1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Usagi has it right, RS-1's demand flats

Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on flats, they were designed for flats and absolutely must be used with them otherwise you lose cohesiveness and the sound becomes thin.

Thanks for the recommandations! I'll give my RS-1 more head time and let them broken in at least another 50-150 hours. I'll surely get the flats from TTVJ. Are the GS-1000 large bowls worth a try? What signature should they give to my RS-1. They look more comfortable than stock RS-1 bowls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS1, as the most Hphones, would sound different if you use them with different systems/amps, so experimenting is the way to go.

I've built the B22 to be my last and ultimate HP amp and I always loved my CAL Icon. Don't plan the change my electronics soon but I'm open to build another DIY amp, this time based on tubes. Time will tell...

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #13 of 22
I'd stay away from the GS-1000 pads. For me at least (and many many others) they don't work well with the headphones that weren't designed with them in mind, so really, all the other Grados!

They are more comfortable. If this is a concern and you don't mind dropping the cash, give them a try! You may well like the sound. Just get ready for some odd shifts in spectrums reaching your ear at various times.

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #14 of 22
I just received my flat-pads yesterday. I have to say I think they provide a drastic improvement. I agree fully that the flats take away the slight thinness, resulting in a more substantial sound. It's just like I read, the detail suffers slightly with flats as does the width of the soundstage.

The bass develops an increased punch and presence with flats. The overall spectrum of sound feels better blended now...more cohesion. The intimacy for which you buy and expect from Grados is now achieved.

So, as an overall listening experience I swiftly came to the conclusion I prefer the RS-1 with flats.

I do think my Denon D5000 is a better headphone on all fronts though.

Sep 13, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #15 of 22
Flats vs. Bowls! well this has been discussed ad-nauseam. The jury is split, some love the bowls and others the flats, there is no clear answer and it should be so. It is all a matter of preference, the good thing is that we have options to match our needs and our biases.

starscream, glad you are enjoying the RS-1 I sure love mine and they are the cans I have kept the longest. BTW, I prefer bowls on my RS-1.
wink.gif

Have fun!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back