just got a softub!
Feb 9, 2005 at 8:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

skyskraper

Headphoneus Supremus
ok i lie, i got it about 14 months ago, but its been sitting at my folks place getting filled with rain slowly for that whole period. i finally decided to get off my bum and bring it across to my place today (not fun at all) so i'm trying to set it up and clean it out.

its a four person softub www.softub.com its not very glamorous compared to a proper jacuzzi, but its pretty cool for free, all i need to buy for it as some hoses to connect the pump and the ongoing supplies.

so this is where i look to you guys. in the past i've maintained pools both salt water and chlorine at our houses, but theyve been pretty simple to look after and basically self maintaining. i've never had to look after a small pool or tub before. i understand from my experience that i'll need a ph testing kit, but i was hoping some of you guys might be able to give me some insight in to how i'm meant to maintain it and establish chlorine levels etc. i'm sure some of you guys have tubs and maybe a couple might have even had softubs.

ive got a chlorine cage type thing thats sposed to float merrily around in it. but im not sure what to put in it. some people have told me bromine tablets, other chlorine granuals, all sorts of reccomendations. im assuming because it came with the floaty thing that it takes some sort tablets. im not sure (coz i cant find my measuring tape to compare the dimensions to the specs on the website) if its the 140 gallon model or the 220 gallon model, its pretty big either way.

also is there any tips and tricks, that arent standard down the line normal procedure for looking after tubs like these, that you may be able to impart on me for establishing the tub and maintaining the water quality?

it's the middle of summer down under, in my part of the country its been above 30c most days lately and its not unusual to hit 40c+ some days. i can't wait for this thing to be operational, it sucks not living a mile from the beach anymore!

cheers
etysmile.gif

SS

Feb 9, 2005 at 9:17 AM Post #4 of 12
well the original plan was for me to keep it in my living room when i was living at the parents place on my own. but i dont think polished and stained jarrah floorboards would have liked it too much. four seater? NAW we'll get ten. but two birds to every male.

Feb 9, 2005 at 9:36 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyskraper
well the original plan was for me to keep it in my living room when i was living at the parents place on my own. but i dont think polished and stained jarrah floorboards would have liked it too much. four seater? NAW we'll get ten. but two birds to every male.

With a Ten Seater, it's not possible to get two for every male without one chap being minus one, or one luckier bloke with three.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Feb 10, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #7 of 12
bueller? bueller? anyone?

i just finished blasting the hell out of it with an industrial high pressure hose and its perfectly clean now just need hosing and supplies
580smile.gif

Feb 10, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #8 of 12
Soft tub? who needs one when u have a real hottub
evil_smiley.gif
Anyways that softtub thing looks great. Imagine bringing it on a camping trip.

Feb 10, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #9 of 12
its massive and not "portable" more like "transportable" it is a pain to strap down as well coz its light and big, it likes to move around.

any advice on maintaining and establishing the water chemistry?

Feb 14, 2005 at 8:14 AM Post #10 of 12
well no thanks to you guys
k1000smile.gif
(kidding) its all rocking now

spa1.jpg

spa2.jpg

i just crushed up part of a bromine tablet to get the ph levels heading towards useable
smily_headphones1.gif

how long should i leave the pump on for daily and now to shock the spa, in order to maintain ph/bromine/etc?

Feb 14, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyskraper
well no thanks to you guys
k1000smile.gif
(kidding) its all rocking now

spa1.jpg

spa2.jpg

i just crushed up part of a bromine tablet to get the ph levels heading towards useable
smily_headphones1.gif

how long should i leave the pump on for daily and now to shock the spa, in order to maintain ph/bromine/etc?

Well u don't have to leave it on with all the jets going. Leave it on with all the jets off. that should just keep the pump on and allow a slow circulation and a steady pH.

Feb 14, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #12 of 12
i left the jets on in the hope that it would help oxidize (or chlorify or whatever) the bromine tablets and kick the water levels in the right direction.

i was thinking every night about an hour with just the water pumping and no bubble jets. does that sound right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back