Just finished up my first summer semester, and after this year...
Jul 1, 2005 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Imyourzero

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm never taking summer classes again if I can help it!
mad.gif
Yesterday I took the final exam for Cisco semester 3, and the 4th semester of the CCNA program starts on Tuesday without even a full week's break. I'm doing this in order to graduate sooner, and it had better be worth it.

I'm absolutely worn out from trying to fit so much on my plate, and have noted several ways that it's taking a toll on me (mentally as well as physically). I've been averaging 3-4 hours of sleep per day (yes, day; I was thrown on 3rd shift at work to make it easier to schedule work around my classes), which is well below the level that has been determined to be optimal and healthy for you. Combine that with not having a regular exercise regimen (once again, time constraints) and not eating 3 squares a day, and you're left with a pitiful existence where one tries to substitute caffiene to make up for the lost sleep. And it does catch up with you, even if you're young! What's worse is that not only is the quantity of my sleep sub-par, the quality also leaves much to be desired since I don't sleep as well during the day as I do at night.

I envy the people that can function normally on very little sleep. Going back to school full-time this fall semester will seem like a vacation after this summer!
tongue.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 12:06 PM Post #2 of 18
I agree. Although I do somewhat better in the sleep department (6-8 hours, mainly because I don't have a job), the constant classes are hell. Combine that with trying to administrate a balky network for a church, do assorted crap, and still try and find time to myself... yeesh.

Jul 1, 2005 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 18
Well I hate to complain because I know others have done it, but man am I missing my summer break. What little free time I do have, I try to devote to my girlfriend. It'll feel so good to get out of school, get a real job, and not have to worry about classes and tests anymore. Maybe then I can start enjoying some of the toys I've bought!
tongue.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 18
I'm just counting down the days (OK, months) until I ship out for the Navy. That's the entire point of these summer classes; I need college credits to get in, due to my being homeschooled.

I never put much faith in long term goals, but this one really does help me. Same with when I go running, or working out - I just think of boot camp, and having to be in tip top shape. Gets me through.

Anyway, summer classes are now more than half over. Plus, I have a 3 day weekend, so that's something.

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 18
My school operates a four quarter year. I have been on a constant year-round regime for almost 5 years now, it is a bit knackering and I am old and knackered anyway, I work as well. Hope it is worth it
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
It'll feel so good to get out of school, get a real job, and not have to worry about classes and tests anymore.

BWUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!BWHAHAHAHAHA
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

....er, I mean, yeah, um, that will be awesome.

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 18
I'm twenty minutes away from an exam in my advanced electromagnetics class. No offense to born2bwire, who is also a UIUCer and actually specializes in electromagnetics, but I can't stand this stuff. And it also doesn't help that I'm taking another class on the side, AND took my undergrad electromagnetics class four years ago, AND haven't taken vector calculus since 2000. This is the first semester my current professor is teaching this class, and I'm certain to go down as his all-time worst student ever.

Ugh, summer school can kiss my shiny metal @$$. I need a nice strong coffee and a nice silver bullet.
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 18
I'm taking calculus for a summer class this year. It blows hardkore with a k. It's just that everything is accelerated to an extreme!!! Plus, it gets harder and harder everyday to get up at 6:00am and go sit through two and a half hours of this crap. I thought I was going to get ahead a semester, but really I'm only killing myself slowly...
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajt976
I'm taking calculus for a summer class this year. It blows hardkore with a k. It's just that everything is accelerated to an extreme!!! Plus, it gets harder and harder everyday to get up at 6:00am and go sit through two and a half hours of this crap.

LOL, I wish my classes were two and a half hours long...mine are 4. Luckily part of that time is typically used to do labs, so it's not a big 4-hour lecture or anything. But I definitely know what you mean about the curriculum being accelerated. When you cram 16 weeks' worth of classes into a 4 week time frame, things can get a little hairy. Gotta love covering an entire chapter in one class period and taking tests every other day.
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
Go to school full time year round, while working 30-40 hours a week. Then we can talk about lack of sleep.

Oh, I can relate. I've worked no less than 40 hours per week since I was 19, and have been attending school full-time as well. I'm getting ready to take my first vacation from work in about 2 years--the GF and I are slipping away for a couple of days next week to Carowinds for a day at the amusement park and then Gatlinburg for some shopping. I can't wait. I've been feeling pretty stressed lately and it will feel SO good to lounge by the pool, go out for dinner & drinks, and then come back to an ice-cold hotel room and watch a movie or do any number of other things that couples in love might do...
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

lol.

I miss the days when i was mostly in school and barely at work...
icon10.gif

I took the summer off from school since i couldn't get any classes i needed for my major. Instead, i plan on making the most of the warm weather since i really get in a foul mood after a few weeks of winter weather.

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

LOL!!!!! I know what you mean!
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #14 of 18
Yeah, I'm taking some summer classes too... It kinda sucks, but it's not toooooo bad, other than my schedule is just completely awful as a result.

The sad thing is that I intend to do it all over again next summer. And it's not even going to let me graduate early. No, instead I (stupidly?) decided that studying 4 different fields would be a splendid idea.
blink.gif

Good luck with all your guys' summer classes... I'm off to take a test now...
plainface.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #15 of 18
enjoy school while you're there guys - the Real World ain't all peaches 'n cream.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back