Just Curious - Question About the For Sale Forum
Oct 7, 2009 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

userlander

Banned - aka walrus1 - aka vidranger1 - aka iggy-starnuts
Why do people in the head-fi For Sale forum remove the price after they've sold something? I mean, what's the big secret? Ebay or most other forums I've seen don't remove the price after someone has bought something -- in fact, ebay goes out of it's way to list the "Winning bid: $xyz." Hiding the price just seems like kind of a strange practice.

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 15
A simple answer: This is not most forums.

Personally I don't hide the price, but yes a I noticed that a lot of people do it.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A simple answer: This is not most forums.

Personally I don't hide the price, but yes a I noticed that a lot of people do it.

Yeah, thanks. I'm just curious as to why, like what's the idea or the motivation behind hiding the price. Are people ashamed or afraid of something? I've just never seen it done anywhere else that I can recall. In a public auction someone might bid anonymously, but they don't usually hide the price. That's about as close of a parallel as I can think of. Not trying to flame anybody, but the practice itself seems a little childish, to be honest.
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a lot of threads covering this. It gets asked every 3 or 4 months it seems. Do a search.

Oh thanks - I didn't realize it was such a popular topic. Glad to see I'm not the only one who recognizes it as a bit goofy.
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 15
The last thread on this topic was created May 19th, 2009. A few us got in on a little contest to try and predict when it would come up again. I'm glad to say it's been 5 months since. Most of us were less optimistic.

There were no winners this time as the rules stated you would only receive a fabulous prize if your guess was closest to the next date without going over.

Samgotit JUNE 25th 2009
ecclesand May 29, 2009
Clutz JUNE 18th 2009
Wmcmanus June 3, 2009

However, I'm now changing those rules and awarding myself the prize. Congratulation to me.

The betting in now open again.
There are no rules this time. The person who guesses closest to the next date this topic reappears will win a potentially life changing prize, graciously donated by myself. Please make your predictions early. This contest is open to all, including the OP.

My prediction: This will come up again on January 14, 2010.

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The last thread on this topic was created May 19th, 2009. A few us got in on a little contest to try and predict when it would come up again. I'm glad to say it's been 5 months since. Most of us were less optimistic.

There were no winners this time as the rules stated your would receive a fabulous prize by myself if your guess was closest of the next date without going over.

Samgotit JUNE 25th 2009
ecclesand May 29, 2009
Clutz JUNE 18th 2009
Wmcmanus June 3, 2009

However, I'm now changing those rules and awarding myself the prize. Congratulation to me.

The betting in now open again.
There are no rules this time. The person who guesses closest to the next date this topic reappears will win a potentially life changing prize, graciously donated by myself. Please make your predictions early. This contest is open to all, including the OP.

My prediction: This will come up again on January 14, 2010.

Maybe the fact that it comes up so much indicates that it is something that warrants an official forum policy. If having it come up for discussion is such a big problem, then at least it wouldn't come up anymore after a while, because people wouldn't be doing it.

By contrast, I'm sure it would still come up if the rule was that you *had* to remove the price. So that in itself tells you which one makes more and which one makes less sense. :wink:

>> P.S. I'll put my bet in and say it comes up again tomorrow. :wink:

/sets calendar to remind myself to start a thread on this tomorrow
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif

>> P.S. I'll put my bet in and say it comes up again tomorrow. :wink:

/sets calendar to remind myself to start a thread on this tomorrow
biggrin.gif

New rule! No one participating in the contest may start the thread. This rule making is getting me drunk with power.

C'mon, userlander, the dates go fast as you can see above. Get yours in. Fabulous prizes, seriously.

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New rule! No one participating in the contest may start the thread. This rule making is getting me drunk with power.

C'mon, userlander, the dates go fast as you can see above. Get yours in. Fabulous prizes, seriously.

None! I predict this will be the thread to end all threads on the subject!
biggrin.gif

If I can ever get a sensible answer as to why people feel the need to do it, that is.
tongue.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #10 of 15
Why do members post thread about this subject every month(ish)?
The topic have been discussed to death many times already, and both sides have post arguments why they practice their behavior.

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do members post thread about this subject every month(ish)?
The topic have been discussed to death many times already, and both sides have post arguments why they practice their behavior.

That question was addressed in post #5.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 15
MN0048848.gif

My prediction for the next thread: January 3, 2010.

Why? Because Christmas usually brings an influx of new members and January is when many members sell off gear to pay for Christmas purchases.

The next thread should shortly follow the New Year.

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
January is when many members sell off gear to pay for Christmas purchases

Need to start saving for that. That is also the best time of year to hit the Pawn Shops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back