Just curious... bass + isolation
Mar 7, 2010 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

semisight

500+ Head-Fier
I don't plan to buy any more headphones over the next few months, but my next purchase will probably be something along these lines. I just want to find a fun, bassy set of IEMs with good to excellent isolation for trips. My RE0 are good IEMs, but I have to admit they sound tinny to me after listening to my Grados. Suggestions at any price point (say under $250) are appreciated, if they sound like Grados even better (so forward mids and the like).

I was looking at the image X10, Eterna, and MTPG (in no particular order). And maybe the SE530, but that's on the expensive side.

Thanks for the help,
semi

EDIT: If you could, could you compare the isolation to that of shures or something like them? I know it probably won't be as good, but I really need a plane pair that will block all those stewardesses with their "drinks" and "snacks".
tongue.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 12
It depends if you're alright with giving up the sparkle in the highs that the RE0 has. If so, then the Eterna is good. You won't find a more fun IEM. There are better sonically as you pay more, but as far as I know nothing tops the Eterna's fun factor. Disclaimer, I am the NA distributor for FA, but I did own the RE0 and can give a comparison. I already wrote a comparison in the Fischer Audio thread by ClieOS, too.
I liked the RE0, too.

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 12
I've been considering them. What is the nozzle size/do they allow deep insertion for really good isolation? Also, where can I buy them when I get the money?

Anyone else feel free to offer more suggestions.

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 12
I heard JVC FX700 has more bass and more forward detailed mids than FX500 with same big soundstage, extended detailed highs and i think it willbe close match to Grado signature sound(bright, forwards mids). Sennheiser IE7, Klipsch Custom 3 and Sony EX700 are other good options too.

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 12
The Eterna uses the wider UE sized bore. A fit kit with the tips best known for sound (largest bi-flanges in the kit, same as the RE0 small bi-flange but in black) will be included with your purchase. If you do decide to get them, you can order from my store, Bugden Audio (note the disclaimer in my first post) or Treoo, which is weibby's store. Both are official and listed on FA's site, though I am in Canada and he is in Singapore.
The Eterna does allow for fairly deep insertion if you've got a triple flange that fits the UE sized bore, otherwise the bi-flanges included in the fit kit give good isolation and can go fairly deep.

The Eterna isolation is above that of the RE0, with the same tips. I think it is because of the more Westone style body that sits in the ear opposed to the straighter design of the RE0 that doesn't cover as much ear, allowing more places for sound to leak through. That's just my theory though.

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't plan to buy any more headphones over the next few months, but my next purchase will probably be something along these lines.

I've heard that line before! I bet you end up buying earphones by the end of this week
beerchug.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard that line before! I bet you end up buying earphones by the end of this week
beerchug.gif

Heard it.....and said it.....never pans out that way!
CLICK!

Mar 8, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beerchug.gif

Hey, it's sunday. I guess I still have 6 days left to rationalize the purchase
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #9 of 12
Don't worry, I rationalized my Westone 2 purchase by convincing myself I needed it for my business to compare to the new FA flagship, which I am likely going to have someone else review anyways, or planned to unless FA is already sending it to ClieOS to review.
I really don't need the W2, I'm perfectly happy with the Silver Bullet+E1 combo, but I'd really love it!

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry, I rationalized my Westone 2 purchase by convincing myself I needed it for my business to compare to the new FA flagship, which I am likely going to have someone else review anyways, or planned to unless FA is already sending it to ClieOS to review.
I really don't need the W2, I'm perfectly happy with the Silver Bullet+E1 combo, but I'd really love it!

thats like how i was perfectly happy with CK10 and then I bought another iem :p

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #11 of 12
So, just one more question. The other IEM I was thinking about was the Nuforce Ne-6. How do they compare to the Eterna?

Also, the more I've been thinking about it, the more I want something with forward mids like my Grados (I listen to a lot of rock). Are the eternas still suitable for me? There's a thread floating around about Grado-like IEMs which mentioned the Turbines.

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #12 of 12
Seeing as the NE-6 is the NE-7M less the mic, and I've compared the Eterna to the RE0, I'm fairly confident the Eterna would be the winner in SQ. I can't really say anything about sound sig differences though.

The Eterna has a very slightly recessed upper mid and forward lower mid. I'm thinking the RE0 is already somewhat Grado-like, so perhaps the Eterna isn't what you're looking for. I'm not sure how much closer to a Grado you can get than the RE0 for the price. I know the GR8 has the Grado mid. I doubt the Turbine is more Grado like than the RE0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back