Just bought Klipsch Custom 3
Jun 7, 2009 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

deksawyer

New Head-Fier
Ordered them from iHeadphones for £119.

Std size tips weren't a good fit so tried them all and the large xmas tree type were the best fit but they popped out my left ear if I opened my mouth or moved my jaw. Damn!

I could hear the sound quality but it was no good if I had to keep them pressed in with my fingertips.

A quick bit of thinking and I removed the tips from a pair of ER20 earplugs and fitted them on the Custom 3's. Wow - perfect fit and perfect sound. The fit was so good I had to turn the bass down a notch on my Fuze.

The aperture down the middle of the tips appears to be the same, but they were a tad too long, so I removed about 4mm from the end of the tip (or the base of the xmas tree if you can picture it that way) and they fit with a bit more comfort.

The sound is very natural, if slightly recessed at the hi end. They're more than loud enough straight from my Fuze and have plenty bass (I'm a bass player so I'm a bit fussy about this - these don't dissapoint) and are the best earphones I've ever had (I've never spent this much before either).

My only quibble is the cables - they're absolutely appalling. No way should any piece of tech at this price range have such a major design flaw. Although you only ever hear of the ones that go wrong, I keep having a nagging feeling at the back of my mind it's only going to be a matter of time before it happens to mine. I think they have a 2 year warranty, so for the time being, I'll keep an eye on things.

If anyones familliar with the Klotz range of Kick guitar cables, then you'll probably know they have some sort of rubberised coating or sleeve which stops the cables tangling. Klipsch should try and change to something similar.

All in all, very, very happy with the sound but the cables let them down. Klipsch are a bit quiet on this matter, and I guess it'll be too costly to admit there's a problem and rectifiy the situation for all Custom 3 owners.

10/10 for sound quality and overall built quality

5/10 at the moment for the cables unless proven otherwise.

D.

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 8
Thanks for the lil review. Im thinking about buying these same IEMs.

How do you like them comfort wise? Do you like the over the ear portion? Do you think long hair that goes just past the ears would be an issue with putting them on?

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 8
Here's a photo of the ER20 tips on the Custom 3's.

I have to say after a fair bit of listening, these are superb. Bass is huge but under control - the seal is so good that I have -2 on the Sansa custom EQ.

Treble isn't as bad as I thought - there's plenty of detail and FLAC files have a very nice clean top end. MP3 is a mixed bag, but that's just the quality of the encode.

Mid range is wide open and clean and although it's nowhere near the clarity of my K701's, I'm hearing things on some track I've never heard before.

If they'd only change the cables, these would be perfect!

D.

Oct 1, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Ordered them from iHeadphones for £119.

Std size tips weren't a good fit so tried them all and the large xmas tree type were the best fit but they popped out my left ear if I opened my mouth or moved my jaw. Damn!

I could hear the sound quality but it was no good if I had to keep them pressed in with my fingertips.

A quick bit of thinking and I removed the tips from a pair of ER20 earplugs and fitted them on the Custom 3's. Wow - perfect fit and perfect sound. The fit was so good I had to turn the bass down a notch on my Fuze.

The aperture down the middle of the tips appears to be the same, but they were a tad too long, so I removed about 4mm from the end of the tip (or the base of the xmas tree if you can picture it that way) and they fit with a bit more comfort.

The sound is very natural, if slightly recessed at the hi end. They're more than loud enough straight from my Fuze and have plenty bass (I'm a bass player so I'm a bit fussy about this - these don't dissapoint) and are the best earphones I've ever had (I've never spent this much before either).

My only quibble is the cables - they're absolutely appalling. No way should any piece of tech at this price range have such a major design flaw. Although you only ever hear of the ones that go wrong, I keep having a nagging feeling at the back of my mind it's only going to be a matter of time before it happens to mine. I think they have a 2 year warranty, so for the time being, I'll keep an eye on things.

If anyones familliar with the Klotz range of Kick guitar cables, then you'll probably know they have some sort of rubberised coating or sleeve which stops the cables tangling. Klipsch should try and change to something similar.

All in all, very, very happy with the sound but the cables let them down. Klipsch are a bit quiet on this matter, and I guess it'll be too costly to admit there's a problem and rectifiy the situation for all Custom 3 owners.

10/10 for sound quality and overall built quality

5/10 at the moment for the cables unless proven otherwise.

D.

I found the best way to keep the olive ear buds in your ears nice and tight is to not use the metal loops behind your ears "they have a way of pulling the ear buds loose from the ear canals", but instead have them face the front of your ears "against the ear lobes", this way the ear buds stay nice and tight in your ears and do not loosen with head and body movement, try it you will be surprised what a difference it makes. Plus when inserting the ear buds make sure you push them in and upwards  towards your temple eye area for a nice tight fit.

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 8
I think they're really comfortable. I'm a bit of a bass head but I think the sound quality on them is spot on. The cable is an annoyance but I normally keep it tucked underneath my shirt so it's not a big minus for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back