Jumbo Bowl for my SR325i. What do you think??
Sep 26, 2008 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lisztian420

500+ Head-Fier
Hey,..

So I have a pair of SR325i. And like many members here, I am madly in love with the super gradoness of it. However, the regular bowl is uncomfortable and since the SR325i is really heavy it often hurts my upper ears. So I have been reading up a lot of info regarding the jumbo bowls for GS1000. I think it will be much more comfortable but there seems to be a few problems so I will like to discuss my idea with you guys.

The first complain is the high, I read that many complains that the high is way too sibilant with the Jumbo bowls so I'm thinking about applying the shack mod with it. I think blackmoore had already tried that with his gs1000 .Since I am already doing that with my bowl for comfort I think I will do the same with the jumbo bowls.

Secondly, I read that the Bass suffers, and I can imagine because at one point I tried taping two bowls together to create more space between my ears and the drivers (also fitting my whole ears in the bowl for comfort) and the bass suffered. So what I did is I applied the glue mod with the double bowl mod and that also helped. Now,.. I am guessing this should help with the jumbo pads. Anyone tried that yet??

Finally I think an increase of sound stage sounds really really yummy so I am planning to try out this mod. What do you guys think??

Sep 26, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 8
I couldn't wait,.. so I went to a headphone store and got the jumbo pads. I like it a lot in terms of comfort. But the bass is light and even with the shack mod the sibilance is noticable. So,.. now I am going to leave these pads under my dictionaries for 24hrs. Then, I will apply the glue mod and report back in 24hrs. So far, I believe there is a lot of potential to this little operation...

Sep 26, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 8
What is the glue mod?

Sep 26, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 8
yeah.... well,.. As I suspected the donuts are similar to my double bowls. It sounds too bright and requires tape or glue mod. You can use tape, I did it at first and instantly I know that with the donuts it is a must. Because too much bass is lost, so,.. I apply a thin layer of glue on the outer surface. (Whole) It sounds really good to my ears and the detail and sound stage is good. I am trying a few jazz tracks from Brad Mehldau trios now. I was trying it out with some old Primus earlier...
gs1000.gif
gs1000.gif
gs1000.gif
: gs1000smile:

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #8 of 8
I don't own a pair of gs1000, but I did try them out for a little while when I was over at my brother's place. It sounds different in a sense that with the glue mod, the bass is stronger but not as deep... I think the overall detail is somewhat close... But again,... I tried the GS1000 about a year ago, and never listened to it for an extensive period of time...

So,.. by not comparing to the GS1000 I like mine 325i with donuts the way it sounds. And the comfort does improve a lot.... So for guys that want to experiment try this mod... You may just love it....

As far as Liberators, I want to install them but well,... but they are out of production. Once again,.. I glued the entire surface of the donuts(leaving the inside part alone) and I think with the distance between the drivers and a close seal around the pads... I do experience a larger sound stage.
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back