JRiver Media Center 19 is better!
Nov 10, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #31 of 178
The differences between players and output modes are marginal at best. Some DACs react better to lower latencies, so ASIO or equivalent in Mac/Linux might help. If you want a major improvement, add Isone to JRiver DSP (thread) and open a whole new world of headphone soundstage tweaking.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the Isone suggestion.
I would like to believe it is as good as people say. Unfortunately most of my digital sound tweaking (equalizer, dolby and some DSPs) brought me an impression of unnaturalness in sound which I didn't like. Maybe Isone is a thing of better quality that won't give me this impression. I will probably give it a try!

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #32 of 178
The differences between players and output modes are marginal at best. Some DACs react better to lower latencies, so ASIO or equivalent in Mac/Linux might help. If you want a major improvement, add Isone to JRiver DSP (thread) and open a whole new world of headphone soundstage tweaking.
smily_headphones1.gif

JRiver is not about audio quality. They have the best audio output quality possible, but then so does any other bitperfect player.
The reason I use JRiver is for all the other features surrounding their audio quality.
Out of the box, there's very little that needs configured.
It's simple to load in VST plugins.
It can manage libraries with hundreds of thousands of tracks without breaking a sweat.
It has best-in-class video performance to go along with its audio performance.
It has a very powerful expression language that lets you display and sort your media however you want.
It effortlessly manages any number of audio devices (directly connected hardware, DLNA/UPnP renderers etc) via its zone functions.
It probably has the best native format support out there, with things like DSD playback built in.
It has advanced features like R128 analysis and volume leveling built in - for video as well as audio.

When the player (j.river 19) is opened, I cannot get any sound on my youtube, it's like the sound is muted on my internet browsers.
How do I fix it? 

It sounds like you are using an exclusive output mode, which should block sound from other applications. Unfortunately some drivers don't seem to stop exclusive mode properly and you have to relaunch the application. (web browser etc.)
If you use a non-exclusive mode (DirectSound is easiest) this shouldn't happen, but it means that audio will be going through the Windows resampler.
I do all my YouTube watching through JRiver though, as it goes through the madVR (Red October HQ) video renderer, which is much better quality than the Flash player.

As a workaround, you might be able to use multiple audio devices? I have my system audio going to my DAC via S/PDIF, and any audio going through JRiver is sent over USB.
It's not actually been a problem with my DAC's driver, but I like having system audio and music/videos going to separate inputs - it means one never interrupts the other.

Thanks for the Isone suggestion.
I would like to believe it is as good as people say. Unfortunately most of my digital sound tweaking (equalizer, dolby and some DSPs) brought me an impression of unnaturalness in sound which I didn't like. Maybe Isone is a thing of better quality that won't give me this impression. I will probably give it a try!

I prefer Redline Monitor set to 90° with the distance processing disabled. This still sounds like headphones but restores the positional cues lost when wearing headphones.

Nov 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #34 of 178
There is more to it than bitperfect. See here. Players/OS *may* or *may not* make an audible difference, even if they're all bitperfect.

General consensus is that if you're picking up noise due to processor activity, you have a ground loop or another problem with your hardware.
Regardless, JRiver uses less than 1% CPU usage during playback if minimized, so if you are concerned about that, it's about as good as it gets there too.

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #35 of 178
Favorite player would be Foobar but I still try to deny any different for those two. Well, it is definitely a difference for Foobar and JRiver with kernel streaming or wasapi.

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #37 of 178
Anyone here using JPLAY.  I installed the trial version, and did the upgrade to full version after 30 minutes!

Awesome upgrade to the sound!

Jan 18, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #39 of 178
^^^ JPAY made no sonic differences for me, instead it introduced delays and sluggish behavior with song seeking. Uninstalled it ASAP.

There are settings in JPLAY that address those problems.....probably uninstalling ASAP, you didn't really give it a fair shot!

Works for me and I think it is awesome!  But, I do understand it won't be for everyone!  Just like cables, not everyone is convinced they make a difference!

YMMV, as always in this hobby!

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #41 of 178
in jriver, i saw the option to adjust the tempo and stuff. But now i can't find it. Where is it located? 

EDIT nvm it was under DSP studio and i didn't evne see it, 

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #42 of 178
jriver has completely changed my listening habits. I have replaced high-end transports with a net top PC. I truly can't believe how incredible DSD sounds. I can't put a price on jriver, I could easily justify 10x the price.

beerchug.gif

jriver replaces itunes, windows media player, and just about any other media player i would ever use for music and movies, it is definitely worth its asking price and the only software i have no regrets paying for.

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #43 of 178
I'm using wasapi with Jriver, for some reason i get no audio from chrome even tho i stopped and closed the program. I have to open the same webpage in IE in order to get sound. I'm on iwndows 8.1 btw. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #45 of 178
  I'm using wasapi with Jriver, for some reason i get no audio from chrome even tho i stopped and closed the program. I have to open the same webpage in IE in order to get sound. I'm on iwndows 8.1 btw. 

From Jriver wiki concerning Wasapi, ASIO etc.
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

There are some things to be aware of when using hardware direct communication:
  1. During audio playback, the soundcard will be locked. You will not be able to play sounds from a web browser or other program while audio is playing.

Must be something with Chrome. ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back