John Coltrane Festival
Mar 14, 2004 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

FCJ

Propz go out to his homeez at Burrz-Brownz!
If you're in the greater New York City area, WKCR-FM, the radio station of Columbia University at 89.9 FM, recently began (this past Thursday) a two-week John Coltrane festival. They're playing Trane 24 hours a day, everything he ever recorded, until Thursday evening, March 25. They're playing his catalog both in forward and reverse chronological order each day from 5 am to 1 pm, and from 4 pm until midnight. From 1-4 pm and 12-5 am they are playing "themed" shows.

Even if you're not in the NYC area, you can hear the broadcast on the Web at www.wkcr.org

Don't miss it (all the usual disclaimers apply--I have nothing to do with the station, and I never went to Columbia University)!

Mar 14, 2004 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 6
It is smart to do it in chrono order. I've sampled similar festivals where they just circulate a smaller playlist.

Mar 14, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 6
They're not doing it in chronological order, per se. They're working from the front to the back, and then the back to the front. For example, last night at 4:00 they started the chronology from the end, which means February 1967. They went to midnight, ending with one of my favorites, "Live in Japan." Today at 5:00 am they restarted with the "end to the front" chronology, and make it to about 1965 by 1:00 pm. Right now, they're in the "front to the back" part of the chronology, and they're playing the 1956 recordings of Trane with Miles.

All in all, amazing stuff.

Mar 16, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 6
excellent indeed! listening to it now..

anyone guess what headphones the chap on the front page of WKCR is wearing? Sony V6s? V7056?...

Mar 16, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by damitamit
anyone guess what headphones the chap on the front page of WKCR is wearing? Sony V6s? V7056?...

They look like V6's to me.

"Blue Train" is on right now. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back