John Butler Trio - Sunrise Over Sea
Nov 3, 2006 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Squeek

Headphoneus Supremus
eek.gif

Amazing.

I don't know who recommended me this album, but it was someone here, and thanks!

It is extraordinary.

Nov 3, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 10
He is great isn't he?

He scorches!
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 10
I agree 1000%... err.. whatever...

I saw John Butler at Street Scene in San Diego a few years ago. I was in AWE. He was playing an acoustic 12-string with a slide, which I had never seen before. Incredible.

Nov 3, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 10
If you think that's incredible, check out his earlier two CDs, especially his self-titled debut, which has the epic, 12 minute long Ocean on it....the last 3 minutes or so had me thinking that there were two guitars the first time I heard it, until I noticed that he's just a monster on the guitar!

Nov 3, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #5 of 10
Very, Very nice album.

Strong beginning numbers. Some good in the middle. The best for last.

The only song I could do without was Sometimes (not terrible either).

Good Album, I would buy others by the John Buter Trio.

Nov 3, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #6 of 10
The John Butler Trio does indeed smoke, both on their studio recording and in concert. Luck thing for us fans they have their heads in the right place and have over 100 of their shows available for free and legal download available on archive.org. Many of the shows are soundboards or pre-FM broadcasts and the sound quality is first rate. You can stream the show first before and check out it before you decide whether you want to download the show. Such a deal.

Support these groups!!

Buy their CDs!!

Go to their shows!!

Nov 3, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 10
ralphp@optonline says:
Quote:

John Butler Trio ... over 100 of their shows available for free and legal download available on archive.org.

Thank You Ralph P. I never look to download music online so I would have never known.

Are there any noted shows that I should first look for?

Nov 3, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek
eek.gif

Amazing.

I don't know who recommended me this album, but it was someone here, and thanks!

It is extraordinary.

I think I told someone (you?) that JBT had a few more solo albums than they thought. So Ill take the credit!
biggrin.gif

Great album. Peaches and Cream is just gorgeous, and Mist is also a fave. I have been pimping this guy for years. I saw him with about 12 other people in some dive bar years ago. Last time was at a sold out 2500 seat venue. Nice to see him getting some recognition.

As good as Ocean is on the Self-Titled, the one of the newly released live album Live at St Gallen absolutely DESTROYS it. Its almost absurd how much good time musical fun is to be had on that track.

Nov 3, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane
.....As good as Ocean is on the Self-Titled, the one of the newly released live album Live at St Gallen absolutely DESTROYS it. Its almost absurd how much good time musical fun is to be had on that track.

Ditto....But it's not all that new. It's been out for quite some time, at least 6months, if not longer.

As for the recommendations on archive.org shows, that site's search function isn't working at the moment so I'll have to get back to you about that but in the meantime here are two shows that I have downloaded that are pretty good.

John Butler Trio - November 20, 2004
Villanova University (Jake Nevin Fieldhouse)
Philadelphia, PA

John Butler Trio - September 7th, 2004
Ego's, Salt Lake City, UT

The Philly show is about an hour long and is a soundboard recording. The Salt Lake City show is two hours long and is an audience recording. Both are excellent shows.

Nov 4, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #10 of 10
Good to see you US guys getting in to him. He's been around touring for years down under doing small gigs in bars and pubs, it's only in the last two years he's taken off down here and is now a 'known' name. All his albums are great. Rumours of a new one next feb for Aus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back