Jogging with Senn PX-100s
Sep 2, 2007 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dead of night

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. The Sony sports headphones I have been using are guaranteed to short out within a few months. I always lose sound in one ear. Why does this happen?

I'm wondering if I use some Senneheiser px-100s while jogging if they will last much longer if not indefinitely. Can anyone offer any thoughts?

Sep 2, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe get the koss portapros or sportapros

if you lose the sound in one ear, koss'll replace em for 6 bucks

that would be my first suggestion, but not for good SQ. they might be a bit heavy but thing about the lower end akg, which have the same metal headband like th Koss's, but they have a square cushion on the inside of the headband that secure the headphones when they're on your head.

look at my AKG K27i's (it's not a good picture)

same goes for the K26 p's

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K-26-Headp...8758145&sr=8-1

the AKG's sound isn't as open as the PX100's, but it's a much fuller sound. and if you like bass, then the AKG's are your choice.

another suggestion that might be alot better is the iGrado's. because of the neckband design they do clamp on your head really well. i've just been for a quick jog up the raod, and they were perfect.

if clarity and detail and more bass weight than the PX100's are your thing, then get the iGrado's.

i don't jog that often (not at all actually) so i'm just gonna get my breath back
frown.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe get the koss portapros or sportapros

if you lose the sound in one ear, koss'll replace em for 6 bucks

that would be my first suggestion, but not for good SQ. they might be a bit heavy but thing about the lower end akg, which have the same metal headband like th Koss's, but they have a square cushion on the inside of the headband that secure the headphones when they're on your head.

look at my AKG K27i's (it's not a good picture)

same goes for the K26 p's

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K-26-Headp...8758145&sr=8-1

the AKG's sound isn't as open as the PX100's, but it's a much fuller sound. and if you like bass, then the AKG's are your choice.

another suggestion that might be a lot better is the iGrado's. because of the neckband design they do clamp on your head really well. i've just been for a quick jog up the road, and they were perfect.

if clarity and detail and more bass weight than the PX100's are your thing, then get the iGrado's.

i don't jog that often (not at all actually) so i'm just gonna get my breath back
frown.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 15
Thanks, everyone. I checked the Koss return policy and I have to pay shipping to them for repair, and it's $6 to to get them back. That's about $20.

What I really want to know is, why do headphones short out with jogging use, and which headphones don't short out?

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dead of night /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on people the whole world uses headphones when they're jogging. What do you actually use? What won't short out?

I thought the whole world used earphones whilest jogging?

I tried using px100s while biknig once and they were a real pain, kept falling off and nearly broke a ton of times... i don't know how they will fare with jogging though

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Hi. The Sony sports headphones I have been using are guaranteed to short out within a few months. I always lose sound in one ear. Why does this happen?

I'm wondering if I use some Senneheiser px-100s while jogging if they will last much longer if not indefinitely. Can anyone offer any thoughts?

my mom uses px-100 while jogging or when she is on the treadmill
smily_headphones1.gif
its a tight fit so no worries or falling down or anything.
she says yes to buy the px-100
icon10.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Man those look way to big to job with. I wouldn't use them. I jog with these:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=191078

I have had them for awhile with no problem. They don't fall out and they don't short out. Why do they short out? Because when your jogging your putting a lot of stress on the headphone connector and if its cheaply made then you will have problems. I log about 40 miles a week and never had a problem with these.

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ncage1974 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man those look way to big to job with. I wouldn't use them. I jog with these:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=191078

I have had them for awhile with no problem. They don't fall out and they don't short out. Why do they short out? Because when your jogging your putting a lot of stress on the headphone connector and if its cheaply made then you will have problems. I log about 40 miles a week and never had a problem with these.

Thank you, that's the info I need. I'm going to read your review now.

Sep 2, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 15
Thanks for the advice. The problem is, I'm not talking about jogging with the px-100 once or twice, but over the course of months. I'd like to find a headphone built not to short out. Unfortunately, the amazon reviews about the Sennheiser sport model referenced above state they short out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back