Joe Grado's new earpads for the HP1000
Apr 2, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #31 of 90

Quote:
Quote:

Which company, why are you speaking about the drivers and not the pads, may I ask? lol

Quote:
lol I said drivers in my post at first too and had to edit. I guess we're also not use to the price of pads being this much that we keep calling them drivers!

Look what you have done Chefguru
wink.gif
! Let's not mention the word " driver" in this thread from now on.

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #32 of 90
I received Joe's new hp1000 pads today. While the shape is very similar there is a noticeable difference in material and design compared to the TTVJ flat pads.

More importantly, there is an obvious difference in sound. I am very impressed.

I will update later today with photos and more extensive impressions.

Apr 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #33 of 90

Quote:

More importantly, there is an obvious difference in sound. I am very impressed.

$120.00 worth of difference?

Apr 14, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #34 of 90

Quote:

$120.00 worth of difference?

$150 + shipping actually.

The pad is a little bit thicker and stronger. I'm assuming it is not the same as the TTVJ flats because of the slightly different shape. The color of the pad is slightly darker and under light it seems to gleam a little (which likely means Joe soaked these in some sort of solution).

It seems to me that the mid-range is a little bit less "shouty' (although I don't like calling it that since the hp1000 is rather neutral) which is probably because you're a little bit further away from the driver. It seems the soundstage is a little bit wider also - probably also from the increase in foam thickness.

The bass is much fuller which might be because of the slightly better seal this new material allows. Clarity is the biggest change, which I'm guessing is because the foam doesn't leak as much as the original.

Physically the pads are nearly identical in build so while they seem stronger and might last longer, in the end they are just foam and the cost is derived from 20+ years of Joe's R/D tweaking his original pads.

Is it worth the 150? Sonically, yes. I doubt you'll find anywhere near this kind of improvement from different cables or something along those lines.

I had originally ranked the hd800 and mdr-r10 slightly above the hp1000s ...but after the upgrades and now the new pads, I don't believe any dynamic headphone is at this level.

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #36 of 90
Quote:
I had originally ranked the hd800 and mdr-r10 slightly above the hp1000s ...but after the upgrades and now the new pads, I don't believe any dynamic headphone is at this level.

Now that's interesting :p!

Pads are known to change the sound quite a lot... I am also nearby waiting for pictures :wink: thank you!

Can someone tell me quickly, how much Joseph is charging for the full upgrade, from stock, as of recently? 1200 or 2000? 1500? I've seen many price tags along the years of the posts I've read.

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #38 of 90

It is hard to tell the difference between the pads in the photos, but you can kind of tell that the new ones are a little thicker on the top and that the material seems like a slightly different color. I also noticed that the cut out hole fits the driver shape slightly better (it's a smaller opening)
Quote:
Quote:

Now that's interesting :p!

Pads are known to change the sound quite a lot... I am also nearby waiting for pictures :wink: thank you!

Can someone tell me quickly, how much Joseph is charging for the full upgrade, from stock, as of recently? 1200 or 2000? 1500? I've seen many price tags along the years of the posts I've read.

The upgrade is 1250 + 50 dollars for shipping. This does not include new pads.

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #41 of 90
Just wanted to bump this to say that I was able to talk with Joe about why the pads sound different. While the minor size differences might have something to do with the effect he says that the process to change these pads takes several hours (which I believe changes the molecular polarity). You'll notice if you compare pads that the new ones seem "crusty", that is a part of the process. The pads now hold the charge of the sound better, thus a significant increase in harmonics.

Overall I am extremely satisfied with the improvement, just as my initial impresses have stated, highly recommend. I will soon be doing a full-length review on my upgraded hp-2 with new pads for those that are interested.

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #43 of 90
I AM VERY INTERESTED... *raising my two hands*.

Considering this upgrade, instead of just resoldering the left channel to my HP2.

I have received my HPA-1 and I love it... my first amplifier and I really think it does a big difference. Everything has more impact, sounds fuller; details are brought upfront and you can hear yet even more of your music. I'm a bit deceived that it isn't as silent (black) as my Furutech GT40, but it's fairly silent, enough so my brain forgets about it totally, to a point I cannot perceive it between songs. Volume can go incredibly loud, lol, on a silly 9 volt battery (or two? are they both consumed at the same time? time will tell me).

I also bought these from HeadphoneAddict Larry:

(yep, unopened :)

My Grado set up is almost completely and I'm filled with Gradophile joy. I won't go much further after that. I'll buy a lot less (but I might try to secure a back-up HPA-2 unit), try to post more. I don't see the point of reviewing my gear too much though, since those are not products one can buy "officially" anymore.

Pictures coming, I also bought a HP-1 but it's condition isn't impressing (it's fairly bad actually, haha, I'll show it to you)... especially compared to my mint HP2, the back up pair of the same owner.

And I'm still looking for a Joseph Grado Signature product Dual Power Supply! :p I definitely won't run on 9 volts all my life...

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #44 of 90

Quote:

And I'm still looking for a Joseph Grado Signature product Dual Power Supply! :p I definitely won't run on 9 volts all my life...

It would be very difficult to track down the power supply on its own. You might be able to buy one from Joe but it will probably cost you more than you paid for your HPA-1. 
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #45 of 90
Quote:
It would be very difficult to track down the power supply on its own. You might be able to buy one from Joe but it will probably cost you more than you paid for your HPA-1. 
wink.gif

This will be my final resort :wink:

Frankly I'm also very dubitative anyone is left with a free Grado Power Supply on hands to sell to me  D:

I paid quite a lot for my HPA-1 actually! (my seller remembered the original price for the amplifier and he priced me accordingly, slightly above)

Under 500 I would buy such a unused power supply. Above 500... above, well, I will either wait for me to completely loose grasp on reality and real value of money, or I will make myself one of the best possible quality, never absolutely reaching the authenticity and the placebo of a Joseph Grado Signature Product but trying to get closest to it.

Maybe he can do me a special price on two upgraded pairs of flats, one power supply, one HP2 full upgrade and eventually (if I 1250-dollars-like what I hear, and applying the law of diminished returns at the same time) a HP1 full upgrade (as long as Joseph takes orders).

But I would like to know which ratio of the upgrade is done to the drivers themselves, and which concerns only the metal cups... I would send him my two organ donors (SR100-0 and SR325-0) to get their very organs upgraded the same way, if he can, and accepts to do such things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back