Job Woes
Apr 14, 2003 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

disturbed

500+ Head-Fier
I have the skills but a lot of employers say I don't have enough work expeirience. What saddens me is that I am better than many people employed in their organizations.

In this country they way they hire you is based on your skin color, which country you were educated in and influence. I lack all three.
What can I do?

Get experience but how do you get work expeirience when they dont let you get expeirience. Most employes here dont even want volunteers. Thye dont want people who work for free and work harder than paid employees?

My college career counsellor is a whore!

What
confused.gif

Apr 14, 2003 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by disturbed
I have the skills but a lot of employers say I don't have enough work expeirience. What saddens me is that I am better than many people employed in their organizations.

In this country they way they hire you is based on your skin color, which country you were educated in and influence. I lack all three.
What can I do?

Get experience but how do you get work expeirience when they dont let you get expeirience. Most employes here dont even want volunteers. Thye dont want people who work for free and work harder than paid employees?

My college career counsellor is a whore!

What
confused.gif

if you are out of options, you could always "pad" your resume. keep your chin up, bring out your inner-con-man, and go out there with the attitude that they need you, not the other way around.

Apr 14, 2003 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

I don't have much advice for you here.. but I hate how the hiring process goes. Most jobs, like you say, require "x" many years of experience. The problem is, how do you get "x" many years of experience if nobody will hire you?

What I was told to do was put into my resume "experience," but not work experience. I'm now in the computer support field, but in my first resume, all I had to go on was "I've done this, built this, worked with this, fiddled with this, and know how to do this." And I got an interview. The job wanted 2 years of experience, and apparently they liked what I had down.
biggrin.gif

Best of luck to you, disturbed!

Apr 14, 2003 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
I don't have much advice for you here.. but I hate how the hiring process goes. Most jobs, like you say, require "x" many years of experience. The problem is, how do you get "x" many years of experience if nobody will hire you?

What I was told to do was put into my resume "experience," but not work experience. I'm now in the computer support field, but in my first resume, all I had to go on was "I've done this, built this, worked with this, fiddled with this, and know how to do this." And I got an interview. The job wanted 2 years of experience, and apparently they liked what I had down.
biggrin.gif

Best of luck to you, disturbed!

I wish this country had labour laws like the U.S.A.
People here ABUSE the labor market. A typical ad for a secretarial position might something like this:

Female Secretary Wanted
Between 20 -35 yrs of age
Single
Must have minimum expeirience of 5 - 10 yrs in
a high tension secretarial position.
Good salary.

Good salary my ass ... the lady wll get minimum wage and not to mention get hit on by the employer. DO you have any idea how some women **** their way to the top?

Hmmm ... mental note *must get sex change*
mad.gif

Apr 14, 2003 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

I wish this country had labour laws like the U.S.A.
People here ABUSE the labor market. A typical ad for a secretarial position might something like this:

Female Secretary Wanted
Between 20 -35 yrs of age
Single
Must have minimum expeirience of 5 - 10 yrs in
a high tension secretarial position.
Good salary.

Good salary my ass ... the lady wll get minimum wage and not to mention get hit on by the employer. DO you have any idea how some women **** their way to the top?

Hmmm ... mental note *must get sex change*
mad.gif

Here is some classifieds from the Gulf News;

Office Administrator / Co-ordinator (female), full time, on husband's / father's visa, with previous U.A.E. experience, excellent command of English & proficiency in computers, required. Contact ...xx-xxxxxxx.

Office Boy, well versed in English & Arabic, required for routine jobs (making tea, filing, photocopying, etc.). Transportation provided. Contact xx-xxxxxxx

Arab Secretary, female, required for a leading medical centre. Send CV to Fax xx-xxxxxxx.

Filipino Civil Engineer (degree holder) & Central A/C Technician, with 3 years experience, urgently required. Fax CV to xx-xxxxxxx.

Wouldn't you just love to be the office boy?
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2003 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Raven2k4
What's your degree in? If no degree...what are your skills?

I recommend reviewing your resume and maybe have a career placement consultant here in the US review it. Resumes are something close to pieces artwork here (at least in the engineering fields).

Remember that your skills are your product and you are sales and marketing. Do you have a marketing plan? A sales plan?

Start down the networking path (Head-Fi is a start but hardly a career forum). Everyone you know (even family) are in your network.
Star cold calling firms, corps...
Hit the receptionist with something like, "I met your sale manager atxyz last week but I can't remeber his name". 99% of the receptionists out there are more then willing to spill information if approached properly. Now that you have a name, call back later and ask to speak with him. Don't cry on the guy's shoulder...that will get you a dialtone. Tell this guy that you'vwe heard he's THE GUY to know in the XYZ industry. Suck up....ask to have lunch...now your on your way down the network path.

This guy may know someone that knows another that....you get the idea.

Here in the US 85% of jobs are found through networking.

Good Luck!!!

I'm a Marketing Major
biggrin.gif

Very fascinating. Networking rarely happens on such a large scale here but I think it's a great idea. Thank for the tip
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW whats cold calling?

Got any more sneaky ideas?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back