Job interview tomorrow. What do I wear?
Apr 21, 2006 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

ryanhayn

100+ Head-Fier
i have a job interview tomorrow with tower records. it's my first job interview in 7 years. i have no really nice clothes...it's all faded/holey jeans and t-shirts/polos. i have a few nice button down tops, but no khaki pants. everyone says "don't wear jeans"...but it's only tower records. the people who work there dress like bums. i'm thinking of wearing some nice jeans with a dress shirt. you guys think that's good?

Apr 21, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 39
If you were going for an office position I would recommend:

Single breasted Suit. Dress black shoes (preferable with laces). Matching shoes with belt. Suit should be dark (navy, black, charcoal). WHITE dress shirt (no-button down collar). Socks should match suit color. Conservative tie (preferably striped- navy and maroon diagonal stripe is the most conservative, or solid, checkered tie. NO flowery, or bright neon ties).

Tower Records?- You still want to be decent. NO sneakers. Nice clean jeans if you don't have khakis (preferably ironed). White dress shirt with khakis is good but if not jeans are okay too. If you don't have a white shirt, any button down shirt (solid color or simple pattern). NO SHORT SLEEVED SHIRTS.
Pretend you are going to meet your girlfriend's family for the first time on a Thanksgiving dinner and you can't go wrong. It is ALL about FIRST impression.

Just DON'T wear a t-shirt, raggedy sneakers and jeans. If you don't have any of the above, go to Wal-Mart and you can get the whole ensemble for under $40 ($20 shirt, $20 pants) and you will look brand new. Trust me, I have shopped at TJ Maxx, Ross, Wal-Mart and even the Good Will store and you would be VERY surprised at the deals you get.

SHAVE and BATHE and don't forget the deodorant. NO jewerly (chains, bracelets, bunch of rings). Neat hair counts! Cut your finger nails. NO SMOKING right before the interview. NO soda (burp), ABSOLUTELY NO GUM chewing, mouth wash... They all seem basic but you would be surprised what people don't know or forget.

You are dealing with the public and although Tower Records is a bit more Rock-'N'-Roll, you still want to make a good impression on your interview and AFTER you get the job, you can let loose.

GOOD LUCK and SELL yourself. Think POSITIVE and be CONFIDENT.
HOPE YOU GET THE JOB!!! (One last thing, try not to ask TOO much about holidays, benefits, money...they will volunteer this information. And, try to be interested in the job, ask questions...)

Apr 21, 2006 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 39
I'd say wear what makes you feel most confident. Confidence will get you the job.

Trim your nails and get a haircut. Those two simple things can really help you feel like you look clean and presentable.

If you smoke, don't have one for at least 1/2 an hour before the interview.

Apr 21, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by imho
Single breasted Suit. Dress black shoes (preferable with laces). Matching shoes with belt. Suit should be dark (navy, black, charcoal). WHITE dress shirt (no-button down collar). Socks should match suit color. Conservative tie (preferably striped- navy and maroon diagonal stripe is the most conservative, or solid, checkered tie. NO flowery, or bright neon ties).

LOL, keep in mind he's in Hawaii, so there are special rules that apply here. Showing up dressed like this even for an office interview might be considered a little strange.

Quote:

Tower Records?- You still want to be decent. NO sneakers. Nice clean jeans if you don't have khakis (preferably ironed). White dress shirt with khakis is good but if not jeans are okay too. If you don't have a white shirt, any button down shirt (solid color or simple pattern). NO SHORT SLEEVED SHIRTS.

If it were me, I'd say: dress sandals (I have a nice all leather pair), khakis and a nice short sleeved button down shirt. I'd go for something with a plain or no pattern, but if you want to rock the whole aloha shirt thing, go for it.

Apr 21, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

I would never show up for a job interview dressed in less than Dockers with a nice collared shirt and decent shoes.

Ditto. And anything above retail demands a tie and slacks. Even if you are overdressed, at least whoever is interviewing you will know that you take the job seriously.

Apr 21, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanhayn
i have a job interview tomorrow with tower records. it's my first job interview in 7 years. i have no really nice clothes...it's all faded/holey jeans and t-shirts/polos. i have a few nice button down tops, but no khaki pants. everyone says "don't wear jeans"...but it's only tower records. the people who work there dress like bums. i'm thinking of wearing some nice jeans with a dress shirt. you guys think that's good?

yes , go there clean ( as first day of school ) and -maybe- a particular ( like glasses , or else ) ,it can help
I can't advice eccess of self confidence , I think -and know- in subrodinate-kind of jobs doesn't help ..
being neutral and getting some effortless attention from the interviewer can help instead ..

Apr 21, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

GOOD LUCK and SELL yourself

eek.gif
this comment made me quite jump on my sit ...

Apr 21, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #12 of 39
In Hawaii?

Nice aloha shirt (reverse print optional), pressed Polo khakis, dress socks, Cole Haan loafers.

Please, please... make sure your leathers match. Don't wear a brown belt with black loafers.

Apr 21, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
eek.gif
this comment made me quite jump on my sit ...

I did not mean "LITERALLY" sell yourself... geez...some people...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back