JMT Built Interconnects Using Home Grown Audio Cable
Feb 23, 2003 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

FCJ

Propz go out to his homeez at Burrz-Brownz!
A few weeks ago I asked JMT to build me an interconnect for use with my nOrh SE-9 and Philips 963 SA SACD player. I've been using it for a few days now, and it's great.

JMT's cable is made from Homegrown DIVA Braid; the RCA plugs are Homegrown rhodium/silver plated connectors. They are very flexible and fit the nOrh/Philips snugly.

Compared to the three cables that I know (Kimber PBJ, Outlaws, DiMarzio 1 meter interconnects), the "JMT cable" (as I'll call it) excells in two areas--detail and soundstage. I use the nOrh/Philips with the AKG K-1000s, and I've found detail to be slightly increased with the JMT cable compared to the others. The real benefit is that the increase in detail is never at the expense of added hardness or perceived brightness (and yes, I will agree, that the AKGs can be a bit bright, especially after a lengthly listen).

Also, as I mentioned soundstage (the real strength of the AKGs, IMO) appears to be even wider with the JMT cable than before. It's sometimes scary how the music can almost "sneak up" on you, causing your head to turn to see where it's coming from. This sensation has increased by a fairly wide margin with the JMT cable.

Again, overall I've only been using it a short while, so my impressions could change over time. However, I expect the improvements in detail and soundstage to only get better over time. To my ears, at least, JMT has a winner with his interconnect.

Now when is he going to design a headphone?

Feb 23, 2003 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 20
I hestitated before posting this as I don't want to give offense to a well respected member of this community. But, I've seen at least one other post on JMT made cables using Home Grown Audio wire. In each case kudos seem to be going only to JMT with statements like, "JMT has a winner with his interconnect."

Certainly JMT deserves praise for taking the time to build these cables in a professional manner and providing them to the head-fi community. However, the cable was designed by Home Grown Audio and comes already braided and ready for assembly. It was their research and commitment that created this cable. Granted, braided design isn't new, nor is the use of silver.

I've been using Home Grown Audio cables, assembled by them, since around the time they first launched their web-site. They deserve, IMO, at least as much credit for these cables as any DIYer using their "raw" cable to make interconnects.

JMT, please accept my apologies if I have given offense. Perhaps you have taken the HGA cable and modified it to create an entirely different cable. Perhaps you were a member of the original design team or even own the company. I don't know. What I do know is that I am a satisfied customer and I think that Home Grown Audio deserves credit as the creators of these wonderful cables.

Feb 24, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Gallaine
I hestitated before posting this as I don't want to give offense to a well respected member of this community. But, I've seen at least one other post on JMT made cables using Home Grown Audio wire. In each case kudos seem to be going only to JMT with statements like, "JMT has a winner with his interconnect."

Certainly JMT deserves praise for taking the time to build these cables in a professional manner and providing them to the head-fi community. However, the cable was designed by Home Grown Audio and comes already braided and ready for assembly. It was their research and commitment that created this cable. Granted, braided design isn't new, nor is the use of silver.

I've been using Home Grown Audio cables, assembled by them, since around the time they first launched their web-site. They deserve, IMO, at least as much credit for these cables as any DIYer using their "raw" cable to make interconnects.

JMT, please accept my apologies if I have given offense. Perhaps you have taken the HGA cable and modified it to create an entirely different cable. Perhaps you were a member of the original design team or even own the company. I don't know. What I do know is that I am a satisfied customer and I think that Home Grown Audio deserves credit as the creators of these wonderful cables.

Since it was my post. . . .

I was not taking any credit away from Home Grown Audio. They do make great-sounding cables, for my system at least, as I mentioned in my post above.

However, all manufacturers (whether they are producing Meta DIY amps, cars, or air conditioners) take raw materials, for the most part designed and produced elsewhere, and combine them to create their own products. Just because they didn't design and manufacturer the products/materials used to create their own products does not invalidate the process nor the design involved in combining these products to create something new. JMT was creative and intelligent enough to use first-class products for the cable he put together for me (the same way he was intelligent enough to use the rights parts for the great sounding Meta amps he built for me). By saying that they sound great and have been a worthwhile upgrade to my system both compliments JMT and the designers/manufacturers of the products he used.

In the end, I won--I have a great sounding cable!

Feb 24, 2003 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
Since it was my post. . . .

I was not taking any credit away from Home Grown Audio. They do make great-sounding cables, for my system at least, as I mentioned in my post above.

However, all manufacturers (whether they are producing Meta DIY amps, cars, or air conditioners) take raw materials, for the most part designed and produced elsewhere, and combine them to create their own products. Just because they didn't design and manufacturer the products/materials used to create their own products does not invalidate the process nor the design involved in combining these products to create something new....

Interesting, I didn't really see any credit going to Home Grown Audio as a company. They don't simply manufacture raw cable. They build interconnects and speaker wire from the same cable they provide in their kits.

I could have misunderstood. Are you saying that JMT used the DIVA cable provided by Home Grown Audio and created a new cable design? Merely purchasing their kits and assembling them doesn't constitute a new product (especially when the kit manufacturer makes the same product sold in kit form). If that were the case I could buy a META-42 kit, solder it together, and resell it as Gallaine's HA+ (or whatever name I choose to call it). However, I think that many would find that objectionable, including me. Now, if I were to purchase the kit and make some changes to it, or build something different from it, I could see that as a new product.

Feb 24, 2003 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

I could have misunderstood. Are you saying that JMT used the DIVA cable provided by Home Grown Audio and created a new cable design?

Now that I can't answer, since I did not get into the technical specifics with JMT. I suggest you ask him that question directly.

Oh, and while I'm at it, I would like to give credit to the company that produces the opamp in my Home Meta. I've posted positive comments before on its sound, and I want to make sure I am giving them full credit (whoever they may be).
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2003 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 20
LOL!

I have indeed contacted JMT.

I am being a stickler on this because I think you would be to if I started building META-42's or Gilmore amps and people here at head-fi starting calling them Gallaine's amps.

Feb 24, 2003 at 2:15 AM Post #8 of 20
Tell you what--I've changed the name of my original post to say "JMT-Built Interconnect Using Home Grown Audio Cable." Does that make sense?

BTW--since these cable are so good, where can I go to find out more about them?

Gallaine's amps--I like it, catchy.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #9 of 20
Thank you. I really do appreciate both your response and JMTs (through private email).

As I said to JMT, I just want to make certain that Home Grown Audio, www.homegrownaudio.com, gets the patronage I think they deserve for what I consider a true bargain in this industry.

Feb 24, 2003 at 10:05 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Thank you. I really do appreciate both your response and JMTs (through private email).

As I said to JMT, I just want to make certain that Home Grown Audio, www.homegrownaudio.com, gets the patronage I think they deserve for what I consider a true bargain in this industry.

Thanks for the link.

It was only my intention to point out my satisfaction with the cables JMT put together for me. I'm glad this has been straightened out.

BTW--when are we going to start seeing the Gallaine amp?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2003 at 5:56 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
BTW--when are we going to start seeing the Gallaine amp?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

When I learn which end of a soldering iron to hold
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2003 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

wink.gif

Once you've straightened that out, I think you need to plug it in.

See, you're half-way home.
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2003 at 6:55 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

wink.gif

My experience is that this is a very easy lesson. You'll only do it wrong once...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 24, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
My experience is that this is a very easy lesson. You'll only do it wrong once...
very_evil_smiley.gif

LOL, oh yeah...

Feb 25, 2003 at 1:36 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

You'll only do it wrong once...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yeah, tell that to the burn marks on my hands.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back