Jlab Epic, Don't blow this off if you like Sony MH1 or MH1C
Nov 26, 2013 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

carltonh

100+ Head-Fier
I'll keep this short. I love the sound of the Sony MH1. (I have a short converter to make it work like a MH1C.) But I HATE HATE HATE the comfort and design. However, I think the Jlab Epic has 100% of the sound, same EQ, quality of tightness, deep subbass and impact, and clarity, but 10x the comfort. I don't tolerate the Sony MH1 unless I'm sitting still. The Jlab Epic I enjoy for miles and miles of jogging.

Now they use "cush fins"  which so far, to me, are a gimmick, unnecessary, but not bad, as the design is perfectly comfortable. I also have not figured out what their C3 (TM) is supposed to be. It just seems like a bad marketing trademarked phrase.

So I'm interested to see if another audiophile, or at least one who appreciates the sonic EQ of the Sony MH1 or MH1C will appreciate the Jlab Epic as a similar sound but with drastically improved ergonomics.

Another similar sound IEM is the Philips SHE5105. I also dislike it for its discomfort, but appreciate it as equal to the MH1 but a slightly more comfortable design, but still too uncomfortable. All 3 represent an improvement to the cheap SHE3580, but only the Jlab Epic is IMO, a drastic improvement to comfort.

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 7
I didn't like the QB2 at first, but with a little burn-in and with Sony hybrid tips, I like it a lot. The Epic has similar treble without being sibilant at all, (both have more than MH1), and the Epic has more subbass, probably just as much midbass, but because of the subbass, is not a midbass hump. The QB2 has a touch more tightness/clarity, but because I like the subbass, I prefer the Epic. I'm not a detailed audiophile, so I don't have any clear opinion on soundstage or imaging.

Also, I think the Epic is easier to adjust the sound. I can test different (smaller) sizes tips with the Epic if I want less bass, and it still fits in the ear comfortably. The QB2 requires me to wear just the exactly right size tips to both stay in and be comfortable. The Epic comes with wide bore tips with is appropriate for it, and better for jogging.

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 7
  I didn't like the QB2 at first, but with a little burn-in and with Sony hybrid tips, I like it a lot. The Epic has similar treble without being sibilant at all, (both have more than MH1), and the Epic has more subbass, probably just as much midbass, but because of the subbass, is not a midbass hump. The QB2 has a touch more tightness/clarity, but because I like the subbass, I prefer the Epic. I'm not a detailed audiophile, so I don't have any clear opinion on soundstage or imaging.

Also, I think the Epic is easier to adjust the sound. I can test different (smaller) sizes tips with the Epic if I want less bass, and it still fits in the ear comfortably. The QB2 requires me to wear just the exactly right size tips to both stay in and be comfortable. The Epic comes with wide bore tips with is appropriate for it, and better for jogging.

Epic sounds pretty sweet to me 
beerchug.gif

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 7
I lost my only IEM, an aging Super-fi 5, and decided to try a budget IEM instead of getting something expensive again.  Noticed the Jlab Epic on slickdeals for $13.41 and decided to try despite the mixed reviews.
First impression is harsh treble, I eq'd it down and now I like the sound pretty well after listening for an hour or so now.

vs. the super-fi 5 there is less isolation, less low end bass, and less warmth.. 
on the pro side these do not sound bad at all and it isn't $250 down the drain if I smash or lose them

I can see myself enjoying these when travelling especially.

Apr 30, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 7
Interesting, your description of the tone sounds quite different than mine. I always use the XL (largest) silicone tips, and that may make a difference. I still listen to mine all the time after 1.5 years, but I also use a similar Sony XB50 about equally now. I also have the Xiaomi Piston 2 that might be technically better than the other 2, but it isn't as comfortable and I don't like the sound curve as much as the Epic or XB50.

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 7
I switched out immediately for the largest tips, I had no seal at all with the ones that came on in the box.
I mention the treble because I almost always gain it up, so it's notable to me when I gain it down.  Just a little EQ and it sounds good though, no more harshness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back