Jh5 vs 1964 v3? first ciem.
Aug 4, 2014 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Schunn99

New Head-Fier
hello
longtime reader of headfi, 

I am looking at buying my first custom IEM. My budget is around 500 maximum without the cost of the impressions and I have it narrowed down to either the JH5 pro or 1964 v3. Anyone here have both or either one and can help me decide between the two. I mostly listen to classical rock, alternative, some heavy metal and classical. Does the mid driver in the V3 help by adding more mid than just having the two BAs in the Jh5 pro with only coverage in low and high. Does the JH5 have enough mid range coverage is my main question or would it be better to go with the V3?

thanks, 
Scott 

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 7
I have heard the JH5 and to me it has some serious issues with crossover because it is a 2-driver CIEM.  I have not heard the 1964 v2, but have purchased many IEMs based off of joker's reviews and agree with his findings.

If it were me deciding between the two I would easily choose the 1964 vs because it has 3-drivers and receives excellent reviews.  That third driver really helps smooth out the spectrum.

When I auditioned several CIEMs I tested crossover issues using Maroon 5's It Won't Be Soon Before Long album.  The crossover issues were easily heard and felt very piercing at times.

--edit
Fixed a typo

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 7
JH5 has excellent midrange.  It's the way the drivers are tuned.  Because it doesn't extend insanely high or insanely low, it handles the midrange quite well.  Vocals are fantastic with it.

"has some serious issues with crossover because it is a 2-driver CIEM."

Really?  It's might be the most cohesive sounding multidriver in my sound sig?  Pretty difficult to screw up a dual driver.

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #5 of 7
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/breaking-mold-survey-entry-level-custom-ear-monitors

This should help, and i'm inclined to agree that 1964 Ears is the best for its price to quality ratio. I'd recommend the V3 over JH5 any other time.

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #6 of 7
The JH5 will likely be 20% off on black Fri weekend. At $320 it's been the best value in CIEMs for years. Honestly, when I got my JH13fps during a sale, it was between those 2.

Don't worry about the mids of the JH5. It will simply be a matter of sigs and if what the V3 offers at the extremes is worth the extra cash.

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #7 of 7
I was in your position earlier this year.  I ended up picking up a used JH13 (non freq-phase) for around $400 and sending them off to Inearz for a $150 reshelling.  I am very pleased with the results and feel I got a pretty good bang for my buck.  Its worth checking out the used market and seeing if you can either save some money or stretch your budget further.  YMMV of course, but it worked out very well for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back