JH5 + Ibasso T3 = JH14.5 Type Sound!
Aug 12, 2011 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been missing the boat here for a while....and need to shed some (hopefully) useful information to other audiophile fans.

The whole point of this thread is to say "LISTENING HABITS AND SYNERGY WITH EQ AND PLAYERS IS HUGE" determinent in quality of the sound you wish for.

I just received a Ibasso T3 amp.  I listen on the loud side so I should have realized all along that an an amp may really benefit my listening habits and I am finding that it certainly does.  The T3 provides a certainly clear-cut improvement with TF10 but I am floored by the improvement with JH5.  What puzzles me is that JH5 is already VERY efficient IEM so I could not see where an amp would help but I was wrong.  The amp basically takes the edginess away and improves overall clarity.  Amped versus unamped it is like going from cable to HDTV.  I have EQ setting on "jazz" with the Ipod classic.

I have owned JH13 and JH16 as well and probably did them both a dis-service by using them straight out of an Ipod Classic unamped.  I say this because AMPED with the T3, the JH5 is sounding like a flavor right in between the JH13 and JH16.  I am as serious as a heart attack in saying this!  Obviously this finding would leave one to believe that the T3 amp would also improve my view of the JH13 and JH16 but I can't test that now.  And I don't have many of my other IEM's to test either with T3 but I can easily say that the JH5 +Ibasso T3 presents the BEST sounding IEM I have ever heard (including JH13 and JH16 unamped).  This is a huge statement and worthy of note if you are looking for a "best" sound on a budget.

Bottom Line:  If you listen on the loud side, get yourself an amp.  It will give you clarity and "oomph" with zero distortion.  The JH5 + Ibasso T3 combo will cost you $500.  You will get perfect custom fit, a big sound with amazing treble, bass and soundstage.  The amp makes a big difference, no question!. 

Again I want to emphasize that I listen on the loud side so if you do NOT, I do not know if you would receive the same benefit as I do.

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 34
Hi Spyro, Thanks for the great review about JH5+T3 budget portable setup and it's amazing if less than half price IEMs can compete with top tier custom IEMs(with help of AMPs WOW). BTW could you tell us about the dock cable you used with it?.

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 34
Which Ipod? Those Ipods with higher output impedance will improve quite a lot with an amp like the T3. The JHs are efficient but require a source with low output to sound best, same with the TF10. The Iphone 4 will be the one to improve the least if  it improves at all, since it has the lowest output of all others and pretty good power as well. Clip+ will sound great with those JHs with little spending on your part. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 34
I must agree that my JH16 sounds much better when it is run out of my RSA Hornet. And the difference of the quality run out of my computer as compared to my Cowon S9 is VERY drastic (the computer sounds much better--I must have a very good audio chip on my motherboard, considering I spent so much on it). Now if only I could find a very competent DAP to replace my Cowon S9. I have been eyeing the HiFiMAN 801 for quite some time, but not so sure I am ready to splurge!

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 34

Quote:
You are amping the JH16s using the HP out on the S9? Just get an iPod Classic, an LOD, and go nuts. Not saying the 801 is not worth it, but it may not be worth it.
evil_smiley.gif

I just love the amp synergy with the JH5s/iPod using the LOD. No reason to spend too much on a DAP if you can get the digital bits out of it via the line out.

I've have many of the so-called great players (Sflo2, etc) and the iPod with line out is fine.

Err, LOD from an iPod isn't digital. That's analogue.

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 34
Yes, source is EXTREMELY important to performance, which is why I have source matching in my reviews.  The 801 isn't a great match with my JH16 because the JH16 is very sensitive and at low volumes I get channel imbalances with the 801.  Now is you listen at loud volumes you should be fine as the 801 is plenty powerful, but if you listen at low volumes I suggest something like the Pico Slim or Stepdance with digital volume control, although that is a big portable rig.  The T3D may work but I really wasn't impressed with that amp at all, however I don't think the JH16 benefits much from an amp, but more so from a better DAC section.

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #9 of 34

Quote:
Hi Spyro, Thanks for the great review about JH5+T3 budget portable setup and it's amazing if less than half price IEMs can compete with top tier custom IEMs(with help of AMPs WOW). BTW could you tell us about the dock cable you used with it?.

This one.

http://www.miccastore.com/fiio-line-out-dock-cable-for-ipod-and-iphone-p-36.html

Again with synergy and amping and using EQ it is very possible to find a "sweet spot" to give you your almost "perfect" sound.  JUst need to play around with all your gear.

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #12 of 34
You finally got an amp Spyro :)

I had the T3 for a while and it did a much better job than I expected out of such a small amp. Also I don't listen loud but I still receive benefits from amping if I choose to do so however when talking portable that is not the case.

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #13 of 34

Hey Spyro,

It's been fascinating reading/'watching' your IEM & customs journey in the last year or so. It's refreshing to see you're honest about some of your previously held views.

Now, I've been wondering for some time why you haven't given some of the latest DD IEMs a chance. I'm not just talking about my all-time favourite, the EX1000, but others (cheaper even) such as the MDR-7550, EX600, FX700, FX500 & GR07. I think you might be in for a surprise if you tried one/some of these, and being based in the US (at least with the Sonys) you always have a chance to try them out and if not entirely convinced, get a full refund.

On a side note, I've no idea how old you are - and I know this is none of my business - but I think you should seriously think about the volume levels you're used to listening to music - you know, hearing loss is a very real thing and something to seriously think about. I'm passionate about music and at times I, too, crank the volume up, but quite a while ago I learned to 'discipline' myself and listen to music at lower volumes to preserve my hearing; eventually I got used to it and now I get plenty of 'eargasms' at such 'lower' volumes, though I have to admit that in the last 3 months that task/discipline has proved more difficult with the EX1000s - seriously! -, but for the most part I manage to not go over 40%- 50% with my 4G Touch, which is a brilliant sounding DAP, BTW. Volume levels isn't that much different from the amount of food we eat. Apologies in advance for the unsolicited advice.

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #14 of 34

Users who are viewing this thread

Back