JH3A Accessories ..Cables, Cases, Bags, Players...
Apr 16, 2011 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Br777

Headphoneus Supremus
As the JH3A finally seems to be peeking over the horizon the inevitable questions are arising.

what cables will you use
what player will you use
bag? case? tech vest? carrier pigeon? how are you going to haul this beast around?

lets use this thread to share ideas, suggestions, experiences, etc...

wanna grumble and gripe about the long wait?  me too - but not here. - thanks

PLEASE PROVIDE LINKS AND PHOTOS WIHG YOUR SUGGESTIONS. 

Apr 16, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 10
Bags: please note - each bags name is clickable and takes you to a store (usually amazon) where the price is available.  of course you find better prices if you shop around.

some things to consider

1. i think its going to be best to have a case that has dual zippers, so that i can leave it open at the top if i so choose, giving me quick acess to the controls.
  2. i'm debating on whether to get a case that will be so long that it engulfs both the jh3a amp, and the jacks sticking out, or to get a case short enough where the jacks stick out.   I'm leaning toward engulfing it completely, so that if i want i can zip the whole thing closed and just allow the cables to stick out.
  3. i'm also leaning heavily towards a very thin case that only holds the jh3a, and using a long cable, either lod or mini to mini depending on my final setup, that allows me to keep my player in a seperat place.
  4. ill probably get a case that allows me to hook it to my belt, or sling it over my shoulder
  5. having a little room for misc. gear is always nice too.

here are a few case ideas:

LowePro Rezo-40
tall enough to engulf, dual zippers, and front storage. maybe i could even cram my ipod or future x3 into the front pocket.
shoulder and belt optons

Lowepro-Rezo-50
a slimmer version, also dual zipper
shoulder and belt optons

Crumpler-Million-Dollar-Photo
player, 3a, solo and Room to spare.. a good solo combo choice

Headroom Gigabag
- this one looks cool, but also looks a bit "cheap"
i really like the clear player acess option

Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo Amp Bag

dont know if the solo and jh3a would fit.. probably not??
otherwise this may be the frontrunner for me.  slim, thin, and if i need more padding, ill put it into my messenger bag or something.

Shoulder Holster from think geek.
i dunno about this one.  practical.. maybe.. style.. hmmm... ;-\
looks relaly cool, but dont think i could do it. 

Sony case
I picked up one of these on ebay for 5$ - maybe this will be enough

Apr 16, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 10
Cables:
- iDevice to Solo: CypherLabs stock long cable. It's long, and so I can handle my iPod separately and put it in my pocket.
- Solo to JH3A: Moon Audio Coaxial SPDIF to mini

Source:
- iPod Touch 4G 64Gb
- iPad 2 64Gb

Bag:
- Shoulder bag for laptop
- Backpack
- 8 Million Dollar bag for DSLR and lens.

Using the long stock cables from Solo, I can just put together the Solo and JH3A or any amp together and stick it in my bag (ofcourse in an easily accessible location with the volume control, etc., facing towards me. Then, since the cable is long, I can just stick the iPod in my jacket pocket and control my music or do whatever I want with it whenever, and I won't look like I'm carrying a bomb with me wherever I go, and my jacket wont have a huge bulge and sag.

I think my suggestion is much less geekier than having a little bag the thickness of 4-5 inches hanging beside you. However, you're not me and you might not be much into your appearance and style, but one thing is for sure: Your source will be much easier to handle if you have a long cable connecting it to your DAC or amp.

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 10

agreed.  i dont understand why people insist on bricking everything together.  i really see no benefits to this.  it makes access more difficult, and all the other things you mentioned as well.

Quote:
Using the long stock cables from Solo, I can just put together the Solo and JH3A or any amp together and stick it in my bag (ofcourse in an easily accessible location with the volume control, etc., facing towards me. Then, since the cable is long, I can just stick the iPod in my jacket pocket and control my music or do whatever I want with it whenever, and I won't look like I'm carrying a bomb with me wherever I go, and my jacket wont have a huge bulge and sag.

I think my suggestion is much less geekier than having a little bag the thickness of 4-5 inches hanging beside you. However, you're not me and you might not be much into your appearance and style, but one thing is for sure: Your source will be much easier to handle if you have a long cable connecting it to your DAC or amp.

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 10
Players

ipod touch 64gb is what i've currently got

though

the soon coming FiiO X3  seems to be the match made in heaven for this rig, with its 1/8" digital out, and the 3a's 1/8" digital in, a simple mini to mini cable would deliver you digital audio, and my hopes are, will also circumvent the need for a CLASolo.

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 10
I got the CLAS to use the iPhone and iPad's 3G and little tools and games and video playback. :p

I wonder if I can make a case that will attach the two bricks on the sides of the ipad haha

Apr 16, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Bags:
[snip]
here are a few case ideas:

Ben, perhaps you could edit your post to include approximate prices too, as this may form part of one's decision process.

Apr 16, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 10
as far as cables go for this rig, i really dont have the money to spend on hundred dollar cables, and since ive never tried higher end cables to see if they really work better, i am leaning heavily towards learning to make my own and only going for what i think looks nice.

The main reason being I really want to make this rig look cool and colorful, and i really like braided cables.  I ordered the rust amp so im leaning towards making some cables that have either blue purple or white sheathing, adding dfferent color shrink tubing, getting some nice viablue or other sweet looking jacks, etc...  

i thought about getting a custom 75ohm coax mini to mini but i have been convinced by people much more technically oriented than I am that using a 75ohm coax cable in this context.. such as x3 to jh3a, would really be pointless, and probably a pain in the rump.  So mini to mini it is.

until the x3, assuming i get it,  i'll use my custom 2 foot lod from my ipod to the 3A.  nothing fancy, just gets the job done.  eventually i hope to make one of those too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back