JH13 hissing with Shadow
Nov 11, 2009 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

nycdoi

500+ Head-Fier
Does anybody experience hiss with RSA shadow? It is hissing with my JH13 which seems unusually as some other users reported there shouldn't be any hiss with JH13. Mine hisses with comfortable listen volume and no difference if i unplug the input. My source is ipod touch 2G, JH13 doesn't hiss a bit with it alone.
I had the shadow for a week and half, it has about 150+ hours on it. The headphone(Sony stock IEM) i used for burn-in hissed too but it was a high-sensitive iem i believe. The JH13 is pretty new, arrived yesterday so i don't think there is anything wrong with headphone.. I already talked to Ray and he says there is no problem and further explained the shadow hisses at high gain which is not the case here. He also suggested a return for refund... What should i do now.. any suggestion?

Nov 11, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 18
I have zero hiss.

Nov 11, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 18
Is the Shadow connected through the iPhone's headphone out or the line out?

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
headphone out. just tested it is hissing with computer headphone out too

that could be the source of the hissing. essentially, you're double amping the signal, so that could be the problem.

you may want to try acquiring a cable to listen through the line out of your iPhone... it makes a world of difference in sound quality and clean signal.

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that could be the source of the hissing. essentially, you're double amping the signal, so that could be the problem.

you may want to try acquiring a cable to listen through the line out of your iPhone... it makes a world of difference in sound quality and clean signal.

i had one while back and ripped the cable. didnt bother to get another until i get a portable amp, but the shadow is hissing regardless input. if u've read my post throughly, i stated it hisses without input.

Thanks

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #9 of 18
maybe for those who have both the shadow and jh13, you'll like to try connecting your shadow to your ipod/source's headphone out to see if it is indeed the double amping that is causing the hiss ( even though the thread starter said that it hiss even without input, just to be double sure)

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have zero hiss.

x2, no hiss at all with the JH13s. Black as night. But I am using an LOD. I agree that using the headphone out to the amp is your problem. You need an LOD.

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #12 of 18
No hiss with my Shadow.

There might be something wrong with your amp or phones .

Seems it would be worth it to send it to Ray to check it out since no one else has this problem.

Nov 11, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jckp919 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nycdoi..

mine has little hiss too...and i m using UM3X

pretty sad to heard that
frown.gif
since the shadows are not supposed to hiss at all with most iems.

Ray contacted me and we arranged for a replacement. i have to part with it for while
frown.gif

anyway its all good i guess... thanks for the help everyone.
like Ray says

Cheers~

Nov 11, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pretty sad to heard that
frown.gif
since the shadows are not supposed to hiss at all with most iems.

Ray contacted me and we arranged for a replacement. i have to part with it for while
frown.gif

anyway its all good i guess... thanks for the help everyone.
like Ray says

Cheers~

I was thinking whether i should send mine to them..

but then..I will probably have to wait for another 2-3 weeks for the Shadow to get to Ray and for them to send it back to Hong Kong...

and the shipping cost would be enough for me to get another Nuforce Icon Mobile...

the hiss is at a tolerable level and I guess i will stick with it for the rest of my journey with Shadow~~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back