JH13 custom or Roxanne universal?
Nov 24, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 34
  Which do you feel would sounds better?

I personally wouldn't chose a universal over a custom monitor. I'll never go back to universals. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if the Roxannes sounded better, but the difference in sound quality is negligible in relation to the difference in comfort, in my opinion. I've never heard either (buying a pair of JH16s as soon as their Black Friday sale goes live), but I wouldn't even consider a universal Roxanne.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 34
The Roxanne.  The JH13 is somewhat sterile, clinical and cold.  Accurate and neutral.  Roxanne more fun and 2-3 times the resale value as a custom.

Funny, I think opposite as mrtomlinson.  I will never by a custom IEM again.  I did so in the past because they sounded better than universals but now universals sound just as good.

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 34
The more I read, the more confused I am.  So torn between JH13 custom and Roxanne Universal.  BTW- I have been talking to JH over the past week, and they are saying no BF sale, based on how busy they are.

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 34
Ultimately it boils down to your sonic preference and the genres you listen to.

The Roxanne is thick/warm/dark and bassy (even with the bass pot dialled all the way down) and I find them good at rock and electronic music.

I haven't heard the JH13 Freqphase, but based on other people's description, it's more on the neutral / clinical side with excellent transparency.

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #7 of 34
What? No JH16?

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #8 of 34
  Which do you feel would sounds better?

If you could help answer this 4 questions, I might be able to nail it down closer. The "sound better" to you is hard to define as it may not be the same as mine.

1) Do you prefer more bass over treble, more treble over bass or prefer them balance equally but boosted at both end or more neutral.
2) Are you using any amp or plug straight from iphone?- If using amp, what amp? (need to determine matching criteria - like impedance etc..)
3) Do you often have to take in and out to talk to people while on listening  (I do) or listen without disturbance all the time.
4) Do you like vocal to stand out than the rest of the music or music more than vocal or balance equally?

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #9 of 34
If you could help answer this 4 questions, I might be able to nail it down closer. The "sound better" to you is hard to define as it may not be the same as mine.  I totally  understand

1) Do you prefer more bass over treble, more treble over bass or prefer them balance equally but boosted at both end or more neutral.  A slight bump at each end
2) Are you using any amp or plug straight from iphone?- If using amp, what amp? (need to determine matching criteria - like impedance etc..)  I plan on using the Fiio X5 with the E12DIY, and upgrading to Muse devices
3) Do you often have to take in and out to talk to people while on listening  (I do) or listen without disturbance all the time.  Its a mix.  I will use at work (in and out) but when at home, in for long periods
4) Do you like vocal to stand out than the rest of the music or music more than vocal or balance equally?  balanced

I thought I ruled out the JH16, as I feel there is too much bottom for me.  I listen to a variety, but no dance or hip hop.  Mostly rock and jazz.

A bit more about me- I spent over 20 years in very high end car audio.  I owed a top rated shop, designed, tuned and competed in car audio sound quality competitions, several world titles.  When I tune a car, I have a bump of 6-9db on the bottom, until about 125hz, then flat from there.

I hope this helps, and appreciate the input.  I am located in Phoenix, AZ

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #11 of 34
Budget...tough call.  I am curently using a $10 pair of Panasonics off my Iphone with crappy compressed music.  I am trying to stay about $2k-$2200 with the source.  I could do the Roxy customs, but thats a lot of money for a "beginner".  I have peeked at other brands, but I really like the idea of Freq Phase, and understand the benefits.  I have read a ton of good reviews about JH product and service.

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #12 of 34
JH Audio's line-up is stellar, in my opinion.  I have owned two of their products.  However, there are other games in town. 

What are you thinking you will buy for your source?

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #13 of 34
  If you could help answer this 4 questions, I might be able to nail it down closer. The "sound better" to you is hard to define as it may not be the same as mine.  I totally  understand

1) Do you prefer more bass over treble, more treble over bass or prefer them balance equally but boosted at both end or more neutral.  A slight bump at each end
2) Are you using any amp or plug straight from iphone?- If using amp, what amp? (need to determine matching criteria - like impedance etc..)  I plan on using the Fiio X5 with the E12DIY, and upgrading to Muse devices
3) Do you often have to take in and out to talk to people while on listening  (I do) or listen without disturbance all the time.  Its a mix.  I will use at work (in and out) but when at home, in for long periods
4) Do you like vocal to stand out than the rest of the music or music more than vocal or balance equally?  balanced

I thought I ruled out the JH16, as I feel there is too much bottom for me.  I listen to a variety, but no dance or hip hop.  Mostly rock and jazz.

A bit more about me- I spent over 20 years in very high end car audio.  I owed a top rated shop, designed, tuned and competed in car audio sound quality competitions, several world titles.  When I tune a car, I have a bump of 6-9db on the bottom, until about 125hz, then flat from there.

I hope this helps, and appreciate the input.  I am located in Phoenix, AZ

Do you like that? If you do, you should go for the JH16 or Roxanne. You will not get that much bass out of the a stock JH13.

As far as your answers: both will provide a slight bump at each end, and relatively recessed mid range. Roxanne is just more natural sounding, less "IEM" sounding, and allows you to turn the bass up or down which does affect the rest of the spectrum. So in that respect, it's less of a gamble because it's somewhat tunable. It doesn't really matter what source you use, as long as output impedance is very low. If you take them in and out all the time, definitely forget universals and go custom.

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 34
Do the new 16's come with the tunable bass pot as standard? Or is it an upgrade? That might be the best of both worlds... Not as much $$ as Roxannes, but the ability to adjust the bass down if desired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back