JH13....Benefits to Going Balanced?
Oct 22, 2010 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

wolfen68

Headphoneus Supremus
After some forum history searching, it seems there is not a lot of information regarding the sound benefits of trying the JH13, JH16, (or for that matter) other high quality custom IEM's in a balanced configuration.

Has anyone made the balanced leap with their customs?  Was it worth it?  What changed?

Any feedback appreciated.

Oct 24, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 20
There's no technical advantage. If there's an amp that happens to be balanced or cable prefered due to quality or star grounding then great but balanced is about common mode rejection which isn't an issue here. It's more difficult to build 2 identical and phase opposite amplifiers than a single phase one.

Oct 24, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 20
^x2 Technically there is no benefit. But the amps that accept balanced input are generally better sounding in balanced mode (FWIR).

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 20
So if I'm understanding correctly......the benefits of going balanced often seen on dynamic phones such as the RS-1 or HD650 will not be realized with custom IEM's.  The only possible benefit would be full utilization of the amp being used, but not any improvement from the IEM itself. 

Oct 24, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 20

Quote:
So if I'm understanding correctly......the benefits of going balanced often seen on dynamic phones such as the RS-1 or HD650 will not be realized with custom IEM's.  The only possible benefit would be full utilization of the amp being used, but not any improvement from the IEM itself. 

Yes, but there are portable amps (ex. RSA Protector, iBasso Toucan) that can give you the benefits of balanced.

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
Yes, but there are portable amps (ex. RSA Protector, iBasso Toucan) that can give you the benefits of balanced.

Now I'm confused as this was basically my question. 

In a nutshell, I already own the Toucan/Boomslang for use with my other headphones.  Is it worth getting a balanced cable for my JH13's....or is there no benefit to doing so as compared to continuing to use the JH13's single-ended with my other portable amps (which are good ones, ie. SR71 and ibasso D12)?

Oct 25, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #10 of 20
I use my JH16 with balanced TWag cables and the Protector.  Obviously, the Protector doesn't accept balanced input, but I still notice some key differences (and IMO, improvements) over single-ended cables (both stock and TWag). 

The main difference is that the soundstage seems much wider, as if the sound "image" is stretched out to the outer edges of your ears.  This effect can be awesome with some songs, while seeming somewhat artificial with others.  You may have to hear it for yourself to decide if you like it.

The next most noticeable difference in my experience is that the bass is more refined, controlled, and maybe "polite."  You may lose some of the bass impact by going balanced, but any bass cloud or boominess you may have with the SE cables gets cleaned up with the Protector. 

One day, I'd like to try going fully balanced by using a balanced DAC and amp and an XLR cable.  But until then, I think the Protector emulates the effect of a true balanced setup in a portable package.  

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:

Now I'm confused as this was basically my question. 

In a nutshell, I already own the Toucan/Boomslang for use with my other headphones.  Is it worth getting a balanced cable for my JH13's....or is there no benefit to doing so as compared to continuing to use the JH13's single-ended with my other portable amps (which are good ones, ie. SR71 and ibasso D12)?

In general, using the balanced mode on a balanced amp sounds better than SE mode on that amp (or other amps).

Mar 2, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 20
QUOTE:
http://www.headfonia.com/ibasso-pb-2-first-impression/

CUSTOM IEMS
With custom IEMs like the JH16Pro, the balanced drive gives an instant boost in soundstage size and bass quantity and you get a much bigger sound than you do when driving in single ended. However, I do think that while very impressive in short listening sessions, the balanced drive only increases the phase inaccuracy already inherent in the multi-driver IEM design. The balanced drive also didn’t improve things like articulation, detail extraction, imaging precision, or bass control out of the JH16, and again I will have to go with the Pico Slim or the RSA Shadow for my JH16.

May 11, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #13 of 20
Interesting post, thank you for the link. I am considering going balanced with my JH16's and also am wondering whether it would be worth it or not.

May 11, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

CUSTOM IEMS
With custom IEMs like the JH16Pro, the balanced drive gives an instant boost in soundstage size and bass quantity and you get a much bigger sound than you do when driving in single ended. However, I do think that while very impressive in short listening sessions, the balanced drive only increases the phase inaccuracy already inherent in the multi-driver IEM design. The balanced drive also didn’t improve things like articulation, detail extraction, imaging precision, or bass control out of the JH16, and again I will have to go with the Pico Slim or the RSA Shadow for my JH16.

x2. This is also what I noticed when I tried my JH16 with the SR71-B from my friend.

May 11, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #15 of 20
are you guys talking about 3/4 pin home amp balance or mini jack like sr71b kind of balance?  i thought about getting one 3 pin cable for the jh16..... i don't know.....anyone? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back