JH Audio's JH-5M Impressions
May 29, 2010 at 12:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

pnosker

Head-Fier
Hey guys!  I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to try out some of JH Audio's NEW JH-5M line custom IEMs.  They are similar to the JH-5 Pro, but smaller and designed to fit under a motorcycle helmet.  I believe the audio characteristics are very similar, but there are a few differences: Thinner (very comfortable to sleep with in), cable attaches to the "front" (if you were wearing them, they would point forward) bottom instead of the front top, and they are $100 more.

Please let me know what you think and if you have any questions please let me know and I'll try to answer them.  I also have a set of JH-16s so I can compare to them as well as TF10, Etymotic HF2, and a few other buds.

Review-
Part 1: http://pnosker.com/reviews/audio/186-jh-audio-jh-5m-review-part-1
Part 2: http://pnosker.com/reviews/audio/187-jh-audio-jh-m-line-review-part-2

Also, if you would like to have the opportunity to win a set of Super.fi 3's, follow our twitter!

May 29, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 28
Honestly, I like these more than the TF10.  They have the same fit characteristics of the other customs, but a little more comfortable since they're smaller.  As for sonic characteristics, they are extremely clear and present.  I think of them as a "mini JH-13."  They don't have quite as much bass as the TF10, but the mids are extremely clear and the sound is very full.

May 30, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #6 of 28
Glad you liked it!  The JH-5Ms I believe are the same as the JH-5 Pros but with a smaller form factor.  I think they actually sound better than the Triple.fi 10's.  They are more balanced and the midrange is more present than the TF10s, but have a little bit less bass.  The treble is incredible.  I think best of all is the comfort compared to the TF10s.  Now the TFs are not uncomfortable, but they get tiring after a long listen due to the size of the tip.  The JH-5M is significantly more comfortable than the JH-16 Pros I have for laying down.  I also like the cable location better as the behind the ear nature feels a little weird.

Oddly, the JH-5M's sound similar to the UE 700's which Jerry had nothing to do with.

May 30, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 28

Quote:
Glad you liked it!  The JH-5Ms I believe are the same as the JH-5 Pros but with a smaller form factor.  I think they actually sound better than the Triple.fi 10's.  They are more balanced and the midrange is more present than the TF10s, but have a little bit less bass.  The treble is incredible.  I think best of all is the comfort compared to the TF10s.  Now the TFs are not uncomfortable, but they get tiring after a long listen due to the size of the tip.  The JH-5M is significantly more comfortable than the JH-16 Pros I have for laying down.  I also like the cable location better as the behind the ear nature feels a little weird.

Oddly, the JH-5M's sound similar to the UE 700's which Jerry had nothing to do with.

This is getting more interesting :)

In terms of instrument separation and imaging, how JH5 and TF10 compare?

May 30, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 28
Until now, the TF10's were among the best that I've ever heard.  The instrument separation was very good, but listening to Polka and Fugue on the XLO Reference Recording it is obvious that the JH5 just destroys the TF10.  As I mentioned, I have the JH-16s too, and to be completely honest, I think the JH-5M is 97% as good as the JH-16.  It's a little bit less bassy and the definition is slightly less, but they're so close that if I was recommending some JH monitors to someone, I would tell them to get the JH-5 almost every time.  They're a great IEM for those without $1100 to spare.  They're very balanced and linear.  As for imaging, the TF10s are great and the JH5's are only marginally better.  It's hard to beat the TF10 there.

I would recommend the M line over the Pro line as they share the same internals yet are more comfortable.

May 31, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #9 of 28
This forum is lacking some low end (in term of price) customs vs top tier universal IEMs comparison. If you were going to make a more thorough review or comparsion of JH5 to other universal IEMs that would be great :)

Thanks for your comment.

May 31, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #10 of 28
That's a great idea.  I'm going to review the JH-16 first, but I will cover the JH-5M vs a few universals after that review posts.  I actually have a very interesting 3rd part for the JH-5M planned involving a race track and a 1966 Ford GT40 Gulf race car.

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #12 of 28
Here's a short write up about comparison between the JH-5M and a few different custom IEMs.

These reviews are the product of listening through an iPhone 3G and HeadRoom Total Bithead amp.

I tested several songs on each IEM, both by themselves and with both plugged into the Total Bithead with one IEM in each.

JH-5M vs TripleFi 10: Listening to the TF10 and the JH5M makes the TF10 sound like a bass heavy monitor.  The TF10 even sounds muddy, which is surprising as they're quite good themselves.  The TF10's lack of midrange isn't something that's argued much-- the JH5M possessed a much wider soundstage, better clarity, and was more balanced than the Triplefi's.  After listening to the JH-5M, it was almost painful to go back to the TripleFi 10's.  By the way, I am using the TF10's with a set of Comply tips.

JH-5M vs UE 700: This was the most interesting of my tests.  The UE 700's are the only IEM that compare well enough side by side with a UE 700 in my left ear and the JH-5M in my right.  This test again brings about the awesomeness of the JH-5Ms.  The UE 700 are a very balanced earbud with surprisingly good bass in such a small package.  The treble is a little too much in the UE 700 though, and the JH-5M seem to have an almost perfect level of treble.  Soundstage is similar, but overall the JH-5M sound better.

JH-5M vs Etymotic HF-2/HF-5: Another very interesting test, but the HF2 just aren't nearly as comfortable as the JH-5M.  The HF2s are about as linear as the JH-5M in terms of frequency response, but they don't have the ability to punch as much bass-wise.  The sub-bass of the JH-5M is incomparable.  The JH-5M also has a wider soundstage.

JH-5M vs JH-16 Pro: As you all probably know, the JH-16 are very very very good.  Still, there are a couple of songs where the JH-16 Pro just sound muddy due to the exorbitant amount of sub-bass.  For example, the song London by Third Eye Blind, on the JH-16s the bass line almost overpowers the vocals.  On the JH-5M, the vocals are more present but the bass line is still clearly heard.  The JH-5M aren't as precise otherwise, but are very close.  To me, the $650 price difference isn't worth it and if I were to recommend a set of custom IEM to someone, I would hands down suggest the JH-5M.  For $500, the JH-5M are a ridiculous bargain.  They have 98% of the capability of the JH-16 Pro with a much more reasonable cost.  They are much easier to put in and take out and are comfortable for longer.  I honestly LOVE both the JH-16 Pro and the JH-5M but I can't imagine using the JH-5M and ever thinking to myself "Damn... I wish I was using the JH-16s right now."

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #13 of 28

Quote:
JH-5M vs JH-16 Pro: As you all probably know, the JH-16 are very very very good.  Still, there are a couple of songs where the JH-16 Pro just sound muddy due to the exorbitant amount of sub-bass.  For example, the song London by Third Eye Blind, on the JH-16s the bass line almost overpowers the vocals.  On the JH-5M, the vocals are more present but the bass line is still clearly heard.  The JH-5M aren't as precise otherwise, but are very close.  To me, the $650 price difference isn't worth it and if I were to recommend a set of custom IEM to someone, I would hands down suggest the JH-5M.  For $500, the JH-5M are a ridiculous bargain.  They have 98% of the capability of the JH-16 Pro with a much more reasonable cost.  They are much easier to put in and take out and are comfortable for longer.  I honestly LOVE both the JH-16 Pro and the JH-5M but I can't imagine using the JH-5M and ever thinking to myself "Damn... I wish I was using the JH-16s right now."

Wow, so I paid $700 for 2% difference in sound quality?  Next time, I'll just wipe my behind with those Benjamins.

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #14 of 28
I suppose it depends on the kind of music you listen to.  I listen mostly to rock/alt rock.  Through my testing I tried a few other genres and for example Infected Mushroom and a few other more electronic bands sounded much better on the JH-16 Pros due to the heavier bass. For what I listen to mostly, the JH-16 Pros are not much better than the JH-5M.  It's not always 2%.  Some songs are maybe 10% better, some are almost no better.  The JH-16s are the better IEM.  What kind of music do you listen to?

I also noticed that the JH-5's sound significantly better amped whereas the JH-16 Pros sound almost as good unamped.

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #15 of 28
A lot of Deep House music.  Some underground hip-hop, some older 90's hip-hop.  A tiny bit of jazz.  A lot of Sade.  

All in all, my music has more bass, and I do like bass but won't be quick to consider myself a basshead.  

Anyways, thanks for the reviews.  I hope I didn't come off as trying to belittle you.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back