JH Audio Layla vs. JH Audio Roxanne
Mar 10, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #31 of 174
Customs are different though, it's not just about fit. The drivers are positioned a certain way based on the shape of your ear, something you can't get with universals. Also burn in is not a myth, with iems and even cables there's a period of muddyness you experience before the sound opens up, a lot of electronics that produce sound go through this stage including things like speakers and tubes in guitar amps. I remember not too long ago people were saying that cable upgrades serve no purpose.

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree on all three assertions based on my experiences, plus I'll throw in science on the cable and burn-in claims. 
wink.gif
  Trust me, I've been around the block many times with cable upgrades. The Layla cables are such a wonderful construction, they are the last thing I would concern myself with. Your $ is better spent on a DAP for them IMO. (Plus with the bass adjustment feature, not sure it would be easy even finding them with this functionality...could be wrong).

I did have the UM56 custom ear tips (lost them a while back) and couldn't recon much of a difference. But that is assuming I could get a great fit with the universal tips. If one can't, then I wholeheartedly agree then customs might be the way to go (except for the large loss in resale value thing
wink.gif
). Cables for IEMs... never heard a difference, nor with burn-in and IEMs. None, ziltch, zero. Then there's the whole lack of evidence thing to consider... 

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #33 of 174
Yeah, my jh16 sounds the same with stock cables as it does with whiplash audio cables *rolls eyes*.

...sorry, not evidence. I'm glad for you that you're happy with your whiplash cable, but I wouldn't want others to spend their $ without more information.

I can say that the SE535s or SE846 sounded identical with stock vs. custom. As do my LCD-X. 
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

wink.gif

Since you're making the positive claim, care to share any data to support it? I've never seen any.

As I mentioned, the Layla's cables have a bass attenuation function that likely isn't on custom cables...plus they come with both single ended and balanced cables (to run on a Astell&Kern DAP). 

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #34 of 174
For the 3 claims of burn in, cables and fit, I agree with Oomingmak. The custom and universal Roxanne does sound different. IMO, custom is way better.

I just demoed the layla and angie. Are they better?

That depends.

Layla is a flat and made for studio monitor. Soundstage is really wide and possibly the most notable. It's a technical excellent iem. If you require pro monitoring and making music, it's probably one of the best out there.

Angie sound warmer, much narrower soundstage, more bass and fun earphone. It's easy to like angie. If you are listening and not making music, it might be a better in this instance.it reminds me of k10.

Roxanne sound signature is more different than similar. I personally don't think layla or angie outshines Roxanne. Roxanne is darker, warmer, lower octave, luster, fuller and lesser treble extension.

I'm just a casual music lover. Thus, my choice will go to angie and Roxanne.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #35 of 174
Is the Roxanne darker than the jh16 pro? I was hoping that since the drivers are balanced, as in 4 drivers for the low, mids and highs rather than 4 for the low and 2 each for the mids and highs like the jh16, that it would sound less dark and more balanced. I like the mid range and was hoping that it would outshine the bass, because the JH16 bass seems to cover the mid range a bit.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #36 of 174
For the 3 claims of burn in, cables and fit, I agree with Oomingmak. The custom and universal Roxanne does sound different. IMO, custom is way better.

I just demoed the layla and angie. Are they better?

That depends.

Layla is a flat and made for studio monitor. Soundstage is really wide and possibly the most notable. It's a technical excellent iem. If you require pro monitoring and making music, it's probably one of the best out there.

Angie sound warmer, much narrower soundstage, more bass and fun earphone. It's easy to like angie. If you are listening and not making music, it might be a better in this instance.it reminds me of k10.

Roxanne sound signature is more different than similar. I personally don't think layla or angie outshines Roxanne. Roxanne is darker, warmer, lower octave, luster, fuller and lesser treble extension.

I'm just a casual music lover. Thus, my choice will go to angie and Roxanne.

Did you adjust the bass on the Layla's? Can really give them some nice warmth. Totally agreed on the sound staging and technical aspects on the Layla's.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #37 of 174
Is the Roxanne darker than the jh16 pro? I was hoping that since the drivers are balanced, as in 4 drivers for the low med and high rather than 4 for the low and 2 each for the med and high like the jh16, that it would sound less dark and more balanced. I like the mid range and was hoping that it would outshine the bass, because the JH16 bass covers the mid range a bit.

IMO, Roxanne is the darkest of all the JHA series. I do find JH16 bass too much for my liking. But if JH16 is your cup, the bass pot saves the day. The bass on Roxanne is more mid focus while JH16 appears to have more sub bass.I'd say Roxanne bass is tight, deep and impact with a focus on low and mid.
Did you adjust the bass on the Layla's? Can really give them some nice warmth. Totally agreed on the sound staging and technical aspects on the Layla's.

With reference to Roxanne and Angie, Layla is definitely lesser. Soundstage, Layla wins hands down. Probably the widest of all the IEM I've experienced. Technically, its very good. Clarity, soundstage, instrument separation, balance sound are its forte.. For my taste, I find it too flat for my liking. Probably thats why I "consume" music and not produce music. For someone who likes Layla alot, I would assume the user loves hearing the details and look into the music to find each instruments separation and placement, vocals and singer's breaths, clarity of each notes, etc. Its like "X ray" a song and break down into pieces. Its like loving the music at its most 'naked' appearance.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #38 of 174
IMO, Roxanne is the darkest of all the JHA series. I do find JH16 bass too much for my liking. But if JH16 is your cup, the bass pot saves the day. The bass on Roxanne is more mid focus while JH16 appears to have more sub bass.I'd say Roxanne bass is tight, deep and impact with a focus on low and mid.

With reference to Roxanne and Angie, Layla is definitely lesser. Soundstage, Layla wins hands down. Probably the widest of all the IEM I've experienced. Technically, its very good. Clarity, soundstage, instrument separation, balance sound are its forte.. For my taste, I find it too flat for my liking. Probably thats why I "consume" music and not produce music. For someone who likes Layla alot, I would assume the user loves hearing the details and look into the music to find each instruments separation and placement, vocals and singer's breaths, clarity of each notes, etc. Its like "X ray" a song and break down into pieces. Its like loving the music at its most 'naked' appearance.

Thanks. I guess, what I want to know is if the bass on the Roxanne detracts from the mids because on the jh16 the mids are less present than the bass and I don't like that. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #39 of 174

So I guess you haven't adjusted the bass on the Layla's? Makes a big difference. I love them in "totally" flat position, but I prefer them with the bass sent to noon. Really gives them a touch of warmth and increases my personal listening pleasure. YMMV here, but it is great to have to option to adjust to one's tastes.

With regards to being an X-Ray into the music, I totally agree with you, which is why I love them so much (this is coming from a SR-009 and HD800 owner). 
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #40 of 174
All I can say about the Layla's is that its only been a hand few number of times a new headphone has truly amazed me...first when my HD800s arrived, then the first Audeze headphone arrived (LCD-2 way back when it was first released), then when I first heard the SR-007Mk1s properly driven and finally when my SR-009s arrived. I can now add listening to the Layla's...they are just that good and impressive!

I think you may have missed one..the jh13. The JH13 came out about five years ago about the same time as the HD800. During the initial launch, it was wowed as one of the most accurate, flat and neutral phone at the time, very much like what is being described for the Layla.and those impressions on the JH13 turns into to consensus. Given what is being described by many who heard the Laylas, do you think the JH13 and the Layla share a similar sound signature with the difference that Layla may have a bigger sounds?

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #41 of 174
I think you may have missed one..the jh13. The JH13 came out about five years ago about the same time as the HD800. During the initial launch, it was wowed as one of the most accurate, flat and neutral phone at the time, very much like what is being described for the Layla.and those impressions on the JH13 turns into to consensus. Given what is being described by many who heard the Laylas, do you think the JH13 and the Layla share a similar sound signature with the difference that Layla may have a bigger sounds?

Sorry, I don't have any experiences with the JH13s. The Layla's are virtual chameleons as you can adjust the bass/warmth to your preferences. I really appreciate them in their most "neutral" setting, but that said, I actually listen to them with the bass turned to twelve o'clock. Spot on for me. Seriously, with the Layla's I'm hearing things that I've only heard on my SR-009s...they are that revealing and I absolutely love them for that. When it comes to sound staging, the Layla's beat many of the full sized headphones I've heard in the past (closed or open). I didn't think this kind of sound staging could be attained by IEMs.

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #42 of 174
In the long thread of the JH13, it was hailed as the most neutral phone/monitor available at the time and was being compared to the HD800. It was later loved and enjoyed by many. I bring the history of the JH13 up is because I am hearing many of the same criticism on the Layla that it is a monitor, that it is not fun, that it is too flat or too neutral and only suited for recording studio use but it is not fun to listened to. I have the JH13 for the past five years and I have thoroughly enjoyed the sound, the details, the true to life representation of the artist performance. Therefore I am somewhat skeptical when people bring up those words, flat, neutral, sterile etc, if it is what you describe, I think I am going to like it a lot. Yes it is costly, but it shouldn't be the reason to dislike the phone.

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #43 of 174
In the long thread of the JH13, it was hailed as the most neutral phone/monitor available at the time and was being compared to the HD800. It was later loved and enjoyed by many. I bring the history of the JH13 up is because I am hearing many of the same criticism on the Layla that it is a monitor, that it is not fun, that it is too flat or too neutral and only suited for recording studio use but it is not fun to listened to. I have the JH13 for the past five years and I have thoroughly enjoyed the sound, the details, the true to life representation of the artist performance. Therefore I am somewhat skeptical when people bring up those words, flat, neutral, sterile etc, if it is what you describe, I think I am going to like it a lot. Yes it is costly, but it shouldn't be the reason to dislike the phone.

I don't understand how something that is truly revealing of what is on the recording as boring...isn't that the recording's problem?
wink.gif
 I prefer to hear it as the artist intended...with a touch of warmth, so the ability to tune the Layla's is a wonderful feature. But in "neutral" mode with the bass turned all the way down, they Layla's share a lot with the HD800s (except for the treble boost) and IMO are "flatter".

I agree with you...if you're hearing flat, sterile music, then it's the recording and not the neutral headphones. 

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #44 of 174

So I guess you haven't adjusted the bass on the Layla's? Makes a big difference. I love them in "totally" flat position, but I prefer them with the bass sent to noon. Really gives them a touch of warmth and increases my personal listening pleasure. YMMV here, but it is great to have to option to adjust to one's tastes.

With regards to being an X-Ray into the music, I totally agree with you, which is why I love them so much (this is coming from a SR-009 and HD800 owner). 
wink.gif

They're hardly analytical though. They're not spotlighty or cold by any stretch of the imagination. It's a 'full' sounding device without being clouded in any way. Obviously we all have preferences and something like a JH16 is over the top in bass for me but the layla can be brought to that sort of excess if desired as well. I never really saw the point in spending these sort of funds for something less informative.

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #45 of 174
They're hardly analytical though. They're not spotlighty or cold by any stretch of the imagination. It's a 'full' sounding device without being clouded in any way. Obviously we all have preferences and something like a JH16 is over the top in bass for me but the layla can be brought to that sort of excess if desired as well. I never really saw the point in spending these sort of funds for something less informative.

Well said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back