JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #61 of 2,420
Or you can just sell everything plus your car and buy the Layla

Jerry agrees, LOL.
L3000.gif

I'm on your system but I also have a pair of Stax around...that I rarely use. Custom, universal that doesn't isolate as much and headphones. I've also got an old pair old Brainwavz M1s that I vented and use at my PC sometimes and a couple other cheapies in a drawer somewhere for my daughter and backup but it's basically 3 phones and I use the custom lots more than anything else. I'd use the full size headphones more if I actually listened to music that way at home but I prefer speakers.

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #62 of 2,420
  Last week I tried layla and roxanne together for a few tracks. Surely the tuning is different with layla has a fuller sound (more or less resemble k10 in that way) while roxanne has a wider soundstage. There cannot be a fair full comparison as it is not convenient to turn the bass while the layla was at around 10 o'clock while the roxanne bass was at minimum.

I own k10u and I think layla with original cable has the same problem as k10, with a full and coherent sound but the sound stage is not impressive at all. Surely it can be improved using an upgrade cable. I get used to a 8 strand hybrid cable for k10u and I did not particularly arrange a fair comparison setup. May be layla is better than k10 with another upgrade cable, but the price is not attractive. The size of layla is double that of k10u.

Funny because I haven't had much luck with 8 conductor or high strand count litz cables. Viva la difference!

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #63 of 2,420
AKG 3003 better than the Angie. Wow, the 3003 were one of the brightest phones I've heard, to me no contest. I guess that is why so many phones are made, everyone hears so totally different.

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #64 of 2,420

Now that the pricing for the custom version ($2,595) has come out, I am having a hard time deciding whether I should upgrade to the Roxannes or Laylas from my JH13s.  It is almost a 60% premium and I am not sure the "flatter" sound signature is something I would be interested in.

Sorry, where did you get that? I can't find it anywhere (or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough). Forgive me, I just woke up from a looong nap.

without the carbon fiber...

It's a good thing that I'm not a fan of a full CF shell then. 
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #65 of 2,420
After experimenting left and right I think the good mix for crazy audiophiles is one CIEM, one universal, one headphone and one or two DAPs...

Hehe. It's okay, I think I'll remain a decidedly non-crazy audiophile then. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #66 of 2,420
Just listened to these and I have to say they were amazing! Hung out to listen to the Roxannes originally and they were just waaay to overblown for me. No detail, no separation, no clarity, and really I just couldn't ultimately understand the hype. But these are a different beast… mistress… "Siren" all together! Clarity, detail, and soundstage in spades! Whether that commands the £2000+ price tag in the UK is another story! Compared to the ACS Encore Studio which easily matches it - if not betters it! - for £700!.. I know where I'd put my money! You slowly learn in this hobby that there is NO - and I mean NO! - substitute for listening to stuff! You shouldn't ever buy stuff merely as a consequence of reviews, hype, or opinion etc in places like this. Seek stuff out and listen to it if you can! Similarly eventually listened to the Ultrasone Ed5. Awful! :wink:

Feb 1, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #68 of 2,420
What is the ACS Encore Studio? I found it on a Norwegian page but not on the ACS home page... Apparently 5 driver silicone?

Looks like it!

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #69 of 2,420
Yup the Encore studio is a 5 driver CIEM. It is truly stunning and isn't as large as the layla. Personally I feel in love with both and both had their merits. If I had they money to spend it would be layla. Second best would be encore studio.

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #70 of 2,420
I also attended the show in London. I really enjoyed the clarity and spacious sound of the Layla but its size is just silly and the fit was horrible. I then tried ACS new CIEM and ordered one at the show. Very similar transparency, clarity and spacious sound as the Layla and that was only a demo unit so I have high expectation for the custom version.

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #75 of 2,420
LOL. Ain't that the truth? :cool:
That is how it is... Some IEMs it is cool to like, others it is cool to dislike. Same with DAPs... Once they have the scarlet letter (C for Colored or trebble Cut off) even people who have never been within a 10 mile radius of the aforementioned product will say they suck.

First time I hear the Roxanne, I was like : what is that unpenetrable darkness people are talking about. I feel with the Layla I might be surprised but the other way. Anyways would love to try them still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back