JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
May 12, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #766 of 3,787
the trick is to put the cable under your shirt and right before you sit down on the bench move the cable to either side of your body so the cable is on the side of you. this way when you lower the weights it doesnt touch the cable at all. it works perfectly. ive been doing it with my shure se 530s for a couple of months now.

May 12, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #767 of 3,787

Quote:
the trick is to put the cable under your shirt and right before you sit down on the bench move the cable to either side of your body so the cable is on the side of you. this way when you lower the weights it doesnt touch the cable at all. it works perfectly. ive been doing it with my shure se 530s for a couple of months now.

If the cleft between your pecs is deep enough for the cable to nestle between the bar should never touch the cable to begin with!
tongue.gif

Man, I feel like such a meathead again..

May 13, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #768 of 3,787

Quote:
I always wear the cables down the front. I actually don't know anyone that does otherwise.

Anyway, I stopped using the JH13s while working out and don't use the 16s for that purpose either. My ears were getting too sweaty and the earpieces would be kinda wet when I pulled them out. (This is extremely inappropriate, but) JHAudio wasn't kidding when they defined them as aural sex.

I don't know about you guys, but sweat WAY more during gigs than during workout! I think that if thses IEM's are intended for performing musicians, Jerry must've thought thoroughly about the sweat issue and made them so that they can't be damaged.

May 13, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #769 of 3,787
Inner ears do not sweat. The only danger is that sweat from your face etc. invades your ears and then gets into the IEMs. In that regard, bench presses might represent a greater danger than live performance. You are lying on your back so the sweat can more easily enter your ears. Then when you stand up...

Anyway - all pretty theoretical.

May 13, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #770 of 3,787
When I used my 13s for workout sessions, I rarely had trouble with sweat. It only becomes a problem when there is a loose seal, where the sweat can travel through. When that happened to me, I just wiped 'em off and didn't use them for the rest of the session.

May 13, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #771 of 3,787

Quote:
Inner ears do not sweat. The only danger is that sweat from your face etc. invades your ears and then gets into the IEMs. In that regard, bench presses might represent a greater danger than live performance. You are lying on your back so the sweat can more easily enter your ears. Then when you stand up...

Anyway - all pretty theoretical.

True in my experience. Though at the same time I can attest that they actually do make my ears wet inexplicably. During long sessions -- when I'm not sweating at all -- at some points it seems they just get wet (from thinned out earwax or something else) and feel audibly squishy at the canal section while they're in my ears. Again the marketing I mentioned holds true (inappropriately).

May 13, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #772 of 3,787
3XO, heated activity thinning ear wax is an interesting point. I have a hard time understanding why my ears occassionally do generate more liquid wax. I only know that physiologically it is not sweat. But what you point to does seem to be true.

May 13, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #773 of 3,787

Quote:
3XO, heated activity thinning ear wax is an interesting point. I have a hard time understanding why my ears occassionally do generate more liquid wax. I only know that physiologically it is not sweat. But what you point to does seem to be true.

It's a little gross, but yeah I get the same thing when I use my customs.  I keep my ears very clean, but after an extended session with my customs in, I have the same issue. 

May 13, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #774 of 3,787
I actually talked to zac (who relayed jerrys thoughts) about switching cables every day so that I could use my twag at home and jh cable at the gym. He said over time the connector will get loose but they could fix that. I may still do this since I don't really sweat that much when I work out unless I go really heavy that day. Nothing like good workout music to get the blood pumping!]

EDIT: I do get the "thinning" wax issue too after long session.

May 13, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #775 of 3,787

Quote:
I actually talked to zac (who relayed jerrys thoughts) about switching cables every day so that I could use my twag at home and jh cable at the gym. He said over time the connector will get loose but they could fix that. I may still do this since I don't really sweat that much when I work out unless I go really heavy that day. Nothing like good workout music to get the blood pumping!]

EDIT: I do get the "thinning" wax issue too after long session.

How about getting a cheaper pair of workout iems? I have both the ER4P and the UM3X. Better safe than sorry, I don't want to risk getting any fluids in my JH13's.

May 13, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #777 of 3,787

Quote:
I actually talked to zac (who relayed jerrys thoughts) about switching cables every day so that I could use my twag at home and jh cable at the gym. He said over time the connector will get loose but they could fix that. 

The biggest risk I see with the pin socket getting worn out over time is that the shells could come loose and drop off when you leave them hanging by the cords around your neck after taking them out of your ear, for example.  I can just imagine one of them falling off somehow and getting lost.  That would be a bummer for sure.

May 13, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #778 of 3,787

Quote:
How about getting a cheaper pair of workout iems? I have both the ER4P and the UM3X. Better safe than sorry, I don't want to risk getting any fluids in my JH13's.

I have a cheap pair of iems right now, but I really don't sweat that much and the only thing I have to worry about is the cable getting gross/breaking which I'm not worried about with the default cables. Also my current workout iems (Sennheiser CX300) are annoying as can be. Too many people worry about the sweat/fluid thing when stage performers sweat like pigs, whom these customs are meant for. So as long as you have a good fit I really don't see an issue :)

@warp - i feel like it'd be pretty noticeable if they did fall off since you can feel them hanging so the risk of losing them is close to 0, unless your distracted.

May 13, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #779 of 3,787
When I commute on my bike 20 miles to work I used to get a small amount of "liquid" in my ears.  I have started wiping the inside of my ears with isopropyl alcohol before I ride and do the same to my IEM's and it really dries my ears up and prevents the "liquid" from getting in there for me at least.

I grabbed a bunch of the individually wrapped single wipes from the medicine cabinet at work and keep them in my bag all the time.

May 13, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #780 of 3,787

Quote:
I have a cheap pair of iems right now, but I really don't sweat that much and the only thing I have to worry about is the cable getting gross/breaking which I'm not worried about with the default cables. Also my
current workout iems (Sennheiser CX300) are annoying as can be. Too many people worry about the sweat/fluid thing when stage performers sweat like pigs, whom these customs are meant for. So as long as
you have a good fit I really don't see an issue :)

If Lady GaGa can run and dance on a stage for 4 hours with these things in I'm sure an hour workout should be OK but I do think it is a valid concern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back