JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
May 29, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #2,956 of 3,787
I've been out of the game too long... All these new customs coming out are making it hard for me to choose. From what I've been reading the 8A seems to match my tastes best. 

May 29, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #2,957 of 3,787
Quote:
Well from the reviews I have read, people state the Heir Audio 8.A beats the JH13 and JH16 at its own game, without the JH3A of course.  Furthermore, there is a comparison between the ES5 and the Heir Audio 8.A.  Make your choice.  

I don't know. The JH16 is very different from the 8.A, so they're not really playing the same game. And as for the JH13 - I haven't heard it - but I imagine it's similar to the JH16 minus the added lows meaning it would also be playing quite a different game than the 8.A.

Problem is that most people want to find out which one is the best, make their purchase and be satisfied that they got the best CIEM possible. While this is obviously understandable people need to consider the fact that when you're dealing with IEMs at this price level it's all about preferences and finding out what sound signature is best for you. Talking about which is better doesn't really make much sense, especially when they're so different.

May 29, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #2,958 of 3,787
Quote:

I don't know. The JH16 is very different from the 8.A, so they're not really playing the same game. And as for the JH13 - I haven't heard it - but I imagine it's similar to the JH16 minus the added lows meaning it would also be playing quite a different game than the 8.A.

Problem is that most people want to find out which one is the best, make their purchase and be satisfied that they got the best CIEM possible. While this is obviously understandable people need to consider the fact that when you're dealing with IEMs at this price level it's all about preferences and finding out what sound signature is best for you. Talking about which is better doesn't really make much sense, especially when they're so different.

Agreed:) even I don't consider my 5 way better than JH16

May 29, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #2,959 of 3,787
May 29, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #2,960 of 3,787
oh btw, found a comparison for HA 8.A. vs JH16s.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/588111/review-heir-audio-8-a-8-driver-4-way-crossover-custom-fit-in-ear-monitors

May 29, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #2,962 of 3,787
Keep in mind that the JH16 used for Kunluns review was a demo unit. It seems either his demo didn't give him the full experience or me and Kunlun have very different tastes because he sure does bash the JH16 a lot in that review. 
tongue.gif

May 29, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #2,965 of 3,787
Well there are some pretty negative comments out there about the universal UM Merlin. I found the JH13 custom much more fuller sounding and better detailed than the universal version I demoed. JH16 universal didn't sound all that convincing to me either and I imagine the custom version is on another level.

May 29, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #2,966 of 3,787
The Jh16 are well worth the money IMO. They have never been sibilant and the bass just feels like it is never taxed at all.

It is a blind leap though.

Given the diffence in tone that appears to happen just through the accuracy of the molds and the closeness of the tips to the ear drum etc, I would not be a fan of silicon tips. I have never felt the tips at all with mine.

May 29, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #2,967 of 3,787
Quote:
The Jh16 are well worth the money IMO. They have never been sibilant and the bass just feels like it is never taxed at all.
It is a blind leap though.
Given the diffence in tone that appears to happen just through the accuracy of the molds and the closeness of the tips to the ear drum etc, I would not be a fan of silicon tips. I have never felt the tips at all with mine.

I love how dynamic and detailed JH16 is. No doubt the bass just one of kind. Never experienced this bass in any other IEMs. liquid mids.

But I have to say JH16 is pretty sibilant on most of the sources. It's not easy to drive. I have to use eq to cut some frequencies at 8500 hz cuz the sibliance can become very harsh on certain tracks.

May 29, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #2,968 of 3,787
hmm, i guess i have to wait for mine to come and say for myself. only tried the demo units at Jaben. hopefully the fit wont be an issue.
atsmile.gif

May 29, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #2,969 of 3,787
Tupac- I can remember you saying you had sibilance issues previously. My JH were, if anything, lacking in treble details I thought at first. They didn't have the sense of air that I was expecting. Any treble sound that I was listening out for was all there but it was so smooth that I thought something was missing at first.

I agree with some parts of that they must be reasonably difficult to drive as they have stepped up a bit when driving balanced. I am using the RX3 now but the iBasso PB2 wasnt far behind. but then again, this could apply to any phones benefitting from balanced.

May 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #2,970 of 3,787
wow lacking treble details. This makes me think do all JH16 sound same? It's possibly because of the fitting. My JH16 has treble with super extension and resolution. somewhat bright. airy. really throw every bit of instrument detail it possibly can right to your face. Mids is really neutral. Powerful and fast bass. I do think I got a perfect fit if not a little bit lose. I guess yours must fully filled into you ears:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back