JH Audio JH-3A
Jun 3, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #16 of 2,681

Quote:
now i wonder if the dsp work is done digitally? and is it digitally controlled analog volume, or if the dsp work is digital is it actual digital volume control. If its done digital there would be no reason for the analog inputs, because even if you had the best dac available it would be going through a ADC->DAC again anyways.

We need more info's jude 
biggrin.gif

also more info on the amp, besides just battery life, i wondering about topology. With 6 amp channels in that tiny little thing, does that mean there are 4 cables going to each earpiece? and since its 6 channels, that means it must be opamp driven, which ones does it use?

DSP (Digital Signal Processing) has to be done digitally... I think your point about this ideally being fed SPDIF is thus valid but It depends of course on the quality of the built-in DAC. ADC>DAC is not necessarilly a deal breaker if well implemented.

I was definitely not asking about batter life (except that if it has 500 hours of battery life, I'm not buying it). User replacable 9V battery would be very nice.

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #17 of 2,681
Not saying anything about usability..
But how did no one touched the subject of how unfair the price is for existing customers. even if there's some modification to do, I don't see a reason why to charge for it.
Non the less.. would be interesting to see if some members would jump on a 2nd pair just for that and stick with the first for portability.

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #18 of 2,681

Quote:
Not saying anything about usability..
But how did no one touched the subject of how unfair the price is for existing customers. even if there's some modification to do, I don't see a reason why to charge for it.
Non the less.. would be interesting to see if some members would jump on a 2nd pair just for that and stick with the first for portability.

I was going to do that, but no. $1,099? No.

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #19 of 2,681

Quote:
Quote:

DSP (Digital Signal Processing) has to be done digitally... I think your point about this ideally being fed SPDIF is thus valid but It depends of course on the quality of the built-in DAC. ADC>DAC is not necessarilly a deal breaker if well implemented.

I was definitely not asking about batter life (except that if it has 500 hours of battery life, I'm not buying it). User replacable 9V battery would be very nice.

it does depend entirely on the quality of the built in ADC and DAC chips, as i said, the quality of your external dac would be moot because of the extra conversion process its going to go through. I wonder how it will compete with using a high end dac along with a high end amp. though the time/phase domain improvements could be more than worth it, we will have to wait and see. but if this beast is everything it could be, we could be getting the best audio available out of a DAP with digital out, which is nuts.

EDIT: so i was about to ask most of these questions on the facebook post they put up for it, but i realized i can just ask jerry himself at canjam in person, which will be much better i think, so ill just wait.

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #21 of 2,681

Quote:
Soup, agreed on all points except your original DAC will never be "moot" if using the 3A analogue in. That's your source. It's what you are listening to.

i guess thats true, i was really only thinking of if you have access to a direct digital feed, in that case it would be moot to go through another dac as well  
redface.gif
 like when im at home, there would be no reason to go digital out of laptop, to dac19 to this beast, much better to just go laptop to this thing...i cant freakin wait to hear it.

Edit: id like to apologize for the confusion and belaboring the point cooperpwc, we were saying the same thing essentially.

edit2: i wonder if the digital is optical, coax or usb?? though probably not usb

Edit3: I also just realized that since the crossover is digital and it has 6 amps, that means that it also has to have 6 channels of DAC, which means that it is most likely packin a ESS sabre chip of some kind!!

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #22 of 2,681
No prob. I believe that SPDIF here probably equals coaxial using a shared mini input with the analogue.

Now here is the big question that it is way too early to ask but I will ask it...

Why would anyone get the 3A with the JH16 option?
...or maybe the question is: why would anyone get the 3A with the JH13 option?
'Which question is the correct question' is the actual question. :)

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #23 of 2,681
Cool.  

Now what I really want to know what exactly is the color name for the purple monitors? They look just gorgeous.  Is it just "Transparent Purple"?  Wow.

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #25 of 2,681
Quote:
Soup, agreed on all points except your original DAC will never be "moot" if using the 3A analogue in. That's your source. It's what you are listening to.

Actually, I think the your original DAC may be rendered be "moot", from what I read, I understand that if you use the analog inputs, there will be an ADC, then a digital crossover+DSP, a DA conversion and then the amp section like in the Beolab 5. Actually that's only a possible interpretation of how Jude's post which was not precise enough to say more.

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #26 of 2,681
Khaos, I agree with your description but you are still wrong to say the original DAC is moot. That's pretty much equivalent to saying that it won't matter if you feed it the B-52s because Jerry has tuned it to play Peter, Paul and Mary. Using the analogue in, your first DAC is your source. Crap in, crap out. Orgasm in, orgasm out. (all assuming that the 3A then does a fine ADC>DAC job; I am guessing that it will.

Anyway, no long argument intended. I have made my point.

Jun 3, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #29 of 2,681
Quote:
Khaos, I agree with your description but you are still wrong to say the original DAC is moot. That's pretty much equivalent to saying that it won't matter if you feed it the B-52s because Jerry has tuned it to play Peter, Paul and Mary. Using the analogue in, your first DAC is your source. Crap in, crap out. Orgasm in, orgasm out. (all assuming that the 3A then does a fine ADC>DAC job; I am guessing that it will.

Anyway, no long argument intended. I have made my point.

I mean that if the 3A works as an ADC>DSP>DAC, what would be the use of a separate DAC to feed the 3A, just feed it the digital signal out of the transport, otherwise you'll be just adding a conversion stage. The only point of using the analog input would be if you has a source with only an analog output, such as a turntable or the rare cd player without a digital input.

Otherwise the only way you own dac would be useful woul be if the active crossover was analog and the analog input bypassed both the DSPs for phase, frequency and bass control.
So, (for the analog input)
  1. ADC > DSP > Digital crossovers > DAC  >Amp?
  2. ADC > DSP > Digital crossovers > Digital amplification?
  3. Analog crossovers >Amp?

I don't know whether the crossovers or the DSPs should come first but in the first two cases, a separate DAC would be quite useless, it would be better to feed the digital signal.

Jun 3, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #30 of 2,681
Oh dear. Here comes another temptation ... just when I am convinced that my portable rig will stay unchanged for couple years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back