JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Sep 27, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #9,616 of 10,747

My JH16 opened up and bass-always-on-mode disappeared after around 150 hours of burn in, with periodic listening every 30 hours of burnin.

That's good to hear.  Right when my JH13 arrived, I wondered why anyone would want more bass than the 13 had... it was quite bountiful.. maybe even bordering on too much for my tastes.

After the aforementioned use w/ the JH13, whereby the bass tightened and flattened, I began to see how a little more bass might be in order for the bassists and drummers (and, perhaps, the "traditional" bassheads).   I do listen to a lot of hip hop, electronica, drum & bass, etc., but I'm not a basshead in the "stereotypical" sense: a "more bass is never enough"-type of listener.  I prefer a linear, low end response.. that must be very technically adept.  I am ok w/ it if if it's gently boosted.. as long as the lift is wide and even .. not mid-bass centered).. and not to the point it dominates the acoustic signature.  Given these preferences, I found the JH13's bass to, quite simply, be perfect.  It's got an eerie ability to sound absolutely subwoofer-like (when the recording demands it).. the midbass is, again, just perfect in that it provides a sense of articulate warmth w/o ever creeping into the midrange.. but the low end maintains blistering speed, clarity, and an effortless ability in the way it textures.

My ears are a bit spoiled in that the two phones I alternate between on a daily basis are the HD800 & JH13.  Presentation & tuning differences aside, for me to not feel any kind of a significant drop off in technical ability speaks volumes about just how special the JH13 is.  So much so that I actually sold the HD800.  There was a practical side to that decision (I needed to go to a more portable rig), but it also indicates how impressed (and content) I am with the JH13 FP.

I'll also echo shotgunshane's sentiments in that I find the JH13 FP's tuning to sound very much along the lines of the "Olive-Welti curve."

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #9,617 of 10,747
  CIEM comfort depends on how good your fit is and what kind of fit you opted for (musicians fit or listeners fit). Generally it's a disappearing type of comfort; you don't feel it in your ears after a while. So, none of the three you mentioned. :)

The thing is I've never experienced that kind of fit. I always know they are in my ears. Only with Universal IEMs has it come close to me forgetting they are in.

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #9,618 of 10,747
I've had 6 different ciems. The AS-2 and to a greater extent the JH13 do come very close to disappearing. The JH13 fit is excellent and more comfortable than any TOTL universal. All the others were a mixed bag of ok, mediocre and decent fit. It really comes down to both the impression quality and the craftsmanship of the ciem technician.

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #9,620 of 10,747
For me I can do comply pretty much all day but olives two hours at the most before it aches.  I believe ciems are solid but apply no outward pressure is that right?

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #9,622 of 10,747
  And maybe the shape of our ear canals too.

That's probably what mostly impacts this I think (at least in my case). The quality of the impressions my audiologist did were good both times. Although I felt I still got slightly more isolation from acrylic over silicone for some reason. Like I can hear through silicone better.

The first time I got CIEMs it was DIY so that was a nightmare lol. Fit was very tight and due to this I'd get headaches from the pressure it would put on my ears. There wasn't really any way to relieve that. I still do get pressure with the SE5 as well as with the 8A when I had them. But it wasn't bad where it would cause that sort of issue. I'd just have to take them out slightly to relieve it.

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #9,623 of 10,747
  My ears are a bit spoiled in that the two phones I alternate between on a daily basis are the HD800 & JH13.  Presentation & tuning differences aside, for me to not feel any kind of a significant drop off in technical ability speaks volumes about just how special the JH13 is.

Which begs the question... how do they compare sonically?  I've had the HD800 three times so I should be able to build a picture with your comparison.

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #9,624 of 10,747
Off topic but was considering buying a used jh13fp.  For the people reshelling JH freqphase iems.  Doesn't jh audio specifically tune them in such a way that other companies cannot? I just want to make sure before I put out money on them.

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #9,626 of 10,747

ES5 is too muffled, bad treble 'extension.'
W4 is hands down the most boring iem I've ever heard. It was painful to listen to in the sense that I didn't want to own it and listen to it for hours if I had bought it.
It's a tossup between the 13 and 16 since my 16FP doesn't have bass-always-on-mode but instead has the capability to put out a lot when the track wants it to. But the problem is, the midbass may be slightly forward to some, but others may describe this as the mid bass being filled up where the 13 had a hole in the FR. I'm quoting someone terribly here. I think I would prefer not to have the midbass on the 16 since many of my poorly recorded vocals get annoying. Problem fixed with JH3A though.

CIEM comfort depends on how good your fit is and what kind of fit you opted for (musicians fit or listeners fit). Generally it's a disappearing type of comfort; you don't feel it in your ears after a while. So, none of the three you mentioned. :)

The quote was from pre FP 13 and from someone that likes it warmer. Others like James444 though early 13s were midbass heavy so ..... To me, it's as close to right as you can get in an IEM. Headphones pretty much can't have perfect bass.

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #9,627 of 10,747
  Help me out gents.  Let's play a little match that iem to a full size can game...

JH13FP
JH16FP
ES5
IE800
W4

Go!

Feel free to add anything I might be forgetting.  Also how is comfort on CIEMs?  Olive comfy?  Comply comfy?  Triflange?

Sadly i dont't have the new jh13 FP model. However, i do have the original jh13 and with the right sources, it can match the hd800 in terms of detail but never sound stage or imaging for that matter and the jh13 aint as bright as the hd800 but yeah the closest headphone i have heard to it i guess. I never really liked the 535, sounded muddy to me. I had the westone 4 for a few months but like what girls generation said, the westone 4 can sound somewhat boring which was why i ended up with the UM3X. The ES5 tends to sound "muddy" due to its pretty damn foward midrange and its rolled off highs, no doubt my jh13 pre-freqphase model might be better in soundstage, imaging and detail, clarity maybe just a little bit more, however there's something about the ES5 that keeps me wanting to listen to it more despite the rolled off treble and the somewhat muddy midrange, it just makes my head bob alot more than my jh13s. ES5 tends to sound somewhat like the LCDs from aduze. Just my 2 cents here XD, feel free to disagree XDDDD

Sep 28, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #9,629 of 10,747
Help me out gents.  Let's play a little match that iem to a full size can game...

JH13FP
JH16FP
ES5
IE800
W4

Go!

Feel free to add anything I might be forgetting.  Also how is comfort on CIEMs?  Olive comfy?  Comply comfy?  Triflange?

Given your preferences I garnered thru the lcd3 and amp threads it would seem the jh16pro or tg334 would suit you best... maybe jh13pro also. With tg334 you don't need to worry about custom fits issues. Oh how can I forgot my all time fav 1plus2.

Cheers

Sep 28, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #9,630 of 10,747
It's difficult in part because, yes the LCD-3 has monster bass, but it's technically linear.  JH describes the 13 as 5dB? boost from 100-20Hz, 16 as 12dB? in the same region.  That seems like a lot to me.  I don't like bass so much as I dislike thin and flat sounding.  Flat as in dynamically compressed not flat as in linear response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back