JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Mar 16, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #8,793 of 10,747
Umm which amp would you recommend then?

Well, since my amp is handbuild and nameless, its not easy to recommend an amp that is on the market. But I would probably buy the Triad L3 before this summer, and I hope that it will be the ultimate amp for JH13 Pro. Must come back to that later, so I cant recommend the Triad L3 before I have tried it. But a good DAC is just as important as an amp - my Clas DAC really opened up the sound. In my opinion, the JH13 Pro do scale up with good gear.

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #8,794 of 10,747
I already have the fiio E11. Would that be sufficient?

Quote:
I think the cheapest one that would go well with them is Fiio E6. Clean amplification, no hiss, no channel imbalance, built-in rechargeable battery, even has a few bass boost EQs. Perhaps its only downsides would be the battery life (I think it's around 8 hours) and build--the fact that it's plastic so it doesn't look fancy, not that the thing looks like it's going to fall apart. 
Had one for a while. Just didn't see a need for it, really. Like rmappita said, the 13 will probably run fine out of your player, so you might well be chasing for improvements that don't/barely exist...

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #8,797 of 10,747

Quote:
I don't think amplification is really an issue with most CIEMs. What I've found to really matter is the source.

I am hoping to get the JH13 in a few months time and personally, I feel a good amp makes a huge difference. I think the trouble is that the generic cables that come with the IEMs are pretty poor, once that is resolved with a third party cable adding an amp does wonders all round, providing the source is good! Also when amping, it is best to get the same cable 3.5mm mini i/c so that doesn't become the weak link. 

As the adage goes, "Garbage in, Garbage out"

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #8,798 of 10,747

Quote:

I have no idea, sorry.
You're considering the JH13? I really, really wouldn't worry too much about amping it. A lot of people run it straight from iPod and iPhone (I can attest that the iPhone 4 sounds fantastic with the 13) and they're not complaining.

I think they don't complain because they haven't heard better
normal_smile .gif

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #8,801 of 10,747

Quote:
You could be right. However, I found the Pico Slim to be a poor increase in SQ with my JH16s. I was using a TWag IEM cable and a TWag LOD.

If not mistaken, I think the 16 will go great with the 2Stepdance, the 16 have enough bounce, all you need is a very neutral amp which I feel the Slim isn't

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #8,802 of 10,747
You may be right. But in all honesty, there's a limit as to how much I'm willing to carry around in my pocket. Obviously, something like the CLAS+Rx Mk3 combined with my iPhone would probably sound great, but I'm just not ready to carry around that much. I find myself willing to live with the iPhone 4 and JH16 combo because of it's portability.

I'd much rather have a great source at home instead. But then again, if I we're working 10 hours a day at a place where I had the opportunity to listen to music, I would probably have a different view on this.

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #8,803 of 10,747

I do think,

DX100 > 3.5mm to RCA silver/gold i/c > Triad L3 (suitably power supplied) > silver/gold hybrid cable > JH13 is a dream combo in our hobby
ksc75smile.gif

I am missing the JH13 at the moment
frown.gif
 and the DX100 is due to arrive, using a Cowon X7 at the moment and unfortunately slightly lacking
blink.gif

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #8,804 of 10,747

Quote:
You may be right. But in all honesty, there's a limit as to how much I'm willing to carry around in my pocket. Obviously, something like the CLAS+Rx Mk3 combined with my iPhone would probably sound great, but I'm just not ready to carry around that much. I find myself willing to live with the iPhone 4 and JH16 combo because of it's portability.

I'd much rather have a great source at home instead. But then again, if I we're working 10 hours a day at a place where I had the opportunity to listen to music, I would probably have a different view on this.

You should try a listen to the 2stepdance with the JH16. That's how I auditioned the Demo 16 and 13. I took one of my little bricks which is a Cowon D2+ > Silver 3.5mini i/c 2Stepdance and I enjoyed the 16s very much, just a little electronic tizz apparent. The 16 sounds like TAD ref 1 speakers to me while the 13 sounded like a Magico Q5 or a pair of Tidal speakers. I liked both and will buy both
beerchug.gif

Mar 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #8,805 of 10,747

I already have the jh13. It good to hear that it sounds great straight out of the ipod. I am currently using a rockboxed Clip+ and I'll just have to see if there is anything else i can do to improve the sound. Anyone here has got the jh3a combo?
Quote:

I have no idea, sorry.
You're considering the JH13? I really, really wouldn't worry too much about amping it. A lot of people run it straight from iPod and iPhone (I can attest that the iPhone 4 sounds fantastic with the 13) and they're not complaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back