JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Sep 12, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #4,351 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by blargman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nowhere did anyone mention anything about it being free. I'm going to see what I think of them for a lil bit. I don't feel any fit issues but i gotta wonder if something isn't right. I'm just not feeling the detail and the bass is a bit weak. thumping air pressure kind of bass is there but high bass, just not feeling anything.

If they sound as you describe, you've got a problem - that's just not what they sound like.

In addition to checking fit issues, make sure the connectors at the IEMs are fully engaged. One of mine pulled slightly loose and the IEM still worked but sounded as you described. Pressing it back home fixed everything.

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #4,352 of 10,743
Quote:

Phones arrived today. Fit is good, no comfort issues. seal feels good, no bass issues that i can tell. Sound so far. hrmm honestly coming from sony ex300's i'm not really seeing a huge difference. :s Though the ex300's had a bit muddy bass, they shined pretty well in detail. Interesting, Coming from the hf2. I'm almost wondering if I miss my hf2. Only been listening to em about 2 hrs tho. We'll see how thing's go.

If you find this previous paragraph, rambling and incoherent. Please ignore
wink.gif

I haven't heard the ex300 or the hf2, but if that's the extent of your background with high-end monitors, then it could be possible that your ears simply aren't well trained enough to appreciate the difference in sound quality.

It's one of the reasons I feel it's a mistake for relative newbs to jump into the deep end so quickly. The value of relative differences in sound quality can only be quantified if you have a background of experience that serves as a point of reference. That's my own personal feeling, though, and it isn't intended as a judgment or criticism in any way.

Also, I could be wrong, and it's possible that the monitors themselves are defective. I highly doubt it, but it's possible.

I expect that we'll see a post tomorrow where you will have experienced a religious conversion and "seen the light". It's an interesting thing, the approach/withdrawal relationship we develop with objects.

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #4,353 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they sound as you describe, you've got a problem - that's just not what they sound like.

In addition to checking fit issues, make sure the connectors at the IEMs are fully engaged. One of mine pulled slightly loose and the IEM still worked but sounded as you described. Pressing it back home fixed everything.

I wonder, i looked at them but they looked fine. I had a similar stupidity issue when I got my er6i's a few years ago. Didn't realize they need to be sealed well to get a sound that doesn't sound like crap.
biggrin.gif

The part that kind worries me and perturbs me is I have my Fuze set up to 75% a lot. Which just doesn't seem right with an iem.

Try as I might though. I can't really feel a seal issue or fit problem. The only thing I'm thinking that could possibly be bad with the impression is perhaps it's not deep enough.

@roy

I dunno I guess it's hard to disagree with that given my past history so I won't try. I will admit the hf2's sounded amazingly better the next day. On about hr 7 with the jh13's atm. Maybe after a nights sleep, gnomes will replace my ears and/or the jh13's
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #4,354 of 10,743
Quote:

I wonder, i looked at them but they looked fine. I had a similar stupidity issue when I got my er6i's a few years ago. Didn't realize they need to be sealed well to get a sound that doesn't sound like crap.
biggrin.gif

The part that kind worries me and perturbs me is I have my Fuze set up to 75% a lot. Which just doesn't seem right with an iem.

Try as I might though. I can't really feel a seal issue or fit problem. The only thing I'm thinking that could possibly be bad with the impression is perhaps it's not deep enough.

I think there's a post somewhere in this thread with a pictorial guide to inserting customs. It might be an issue of just experimenting a bit with insertion techniques and getting the proper angle, etc...

I think I remember reading a user comment a while back about how they felt as though they had a good seal, but that they later realized that it was possible to get a technical seal, and yet still not achieve the proper position of the IEM...?

Having to go up to 75% on the Fuze does seem like a lot to me, but not having a pair of JH13's, I can't be sure....

*edit, I remember when I first got a pair of UM2's after having a pair of Shure E4c's, and I absolutely hated the UM2's at first. Once I mentally adjusted to their sound signature, I liked them better than the E4c's and could appreciate the improvement.

One other note, if you decide that you don't like the JH13, I will be only too happy to offer a pair of new HF-2's in trade. Careful not to trip on your rush to the mailbox to send the JH's my way!
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #4,355 of 10,743
Hi everyone, first post!

They just received my impressions. I'm hoping they'll be my first reference for post production/mixing purposes (and casual listening, although I rarely listen casually). I read the mixer's point of view review, so my hopes are high!

I generally mix using multiple monitor/environments for good translation, but I'm hoping the JH13s will reduce the need. I don't do it professionally anymore, but occasionally in my home when no one will be disturbed, so having a killer IEM reference will be a major advantage! I've got a ton of projects awaiting...

I've tried mixing on my ER4Ss, but only use them for restoration/noise removal work. Plus, the foam eartips hurt my ears after a couple of hours. I did have ear molds made for them long ago, but that turned out to be a nightmare.
frown.gif

Patiently waiting...

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #4,356 of 10,743
To be frank I am not too impressed by the workmanship of my JH13. The external face plate is not well in line with my ear bed and it sort of sticks out. Not professional at all. I was going to send the ear pieces back to JH Aduio for refit but it was just too much hassle. My left ear piece seems to give a perfect fit but my right isn't, so I decided to sand it down the spot where it hurts most..It is now a little bit better but still feeling a slight discomfort. When you send the ear pieces to JH Audio what make you think they can do better if they couldn't do the job first time? Man, it would be a nitemare going back and forth.

I am sure there are a lot of folks like me...don't want to go through all these hassle so keep the phone as is and be happy with the sound and endure or accept the slight pain and discomfort. Sometimes you can get used to it...but then again, you would expect a little better after spending 1100 bucks.

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #4,357 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be frank I am not too impressed by the workmanship of my JH13. The external face plate is not well in line with my ear bed and it sort of sticks out. Not professional at all. I was going to send the ear pieces back to JH Aduio for refit but it was just too much hassle. My left ear piece seems to give a perfect fit but my right isn't, so I decided to sand it down the spot where it hurts most..It is now a little bit better but still feeling a slight discomfort. When you send the ear pieces to JH Audio what make you think they can do better if they couldn't do the job first time? Man, it would be a nitemare going back and forth.

I am sure there are a lot of folks like me...don't want to go through all these hassle so keep the phone as is and be happy with the sound and endure or accept the slight pain and discomfort. Sometimes you can get used to it...but then again, you would expect a little better after spending 1100 bucks.

Hey, unfortunate to hear the news
frown.gif
refits are normal for customs as impressions do vary form quality time to time. How flush of the faceplate doesn't justify craftsmanship, My Westone ES3X don't fit flush with my ears at all, they don't even come close. But the fit is perfect, my JH 10X3 are perfect flush fit. This happens because the manufacturer doesn't actually know where your concha ends, and how thick they need to make the monitor.

Hope everything else works out for you though =)

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #4,358 of 10,743
Quote:

It may seem like a hassle but at least u r in the states. the cost of getting them fixed is not so prohibitive. since u have spend a 1000 bucks, why not get it perfect?

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #4,360 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bína /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe stupid question, but when I´m sending customs for refit, should I send them new impresion? Or how do they chagne them?

I did send mine back for refit with new ear impression, but they did not ask for it. I got them back perfect this time.

Sep 12, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #4,361 of 10,743
Quote:

I'm with you there brother! You would think for circa $1000 you'd get something top notch 1st time wouldn't you. I'm in the UK so sending mine back wasn't an option either. I too have filed down one part of my left monitor and also built it up in another part with clear acrylic varnish to get them to sit right. They're great now fit wise but the build is disappointing, even one of the tubes in my right monitor sits back about 3mm more than the other which just looks tat....

Thank god the SQ is everything it should be.

Sep 12, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #4,362 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may seem like a hassle but at least u r in the states. the cost of getting them fixed is not so prohibitive. since u have spend a 1000 bucks, why not get it perfect?

Well, one of the main reasons I am reluctant to send it back is that JH Audio told me to explain in detail how my ear piece should be fixed. Like I said my left piece is perfect but my right piece isn't feeling like it's stretching my ear so I filed it down the obvious spot but it is still not feeling comfortable. There is obviously a major difference between left and right as far as comfort level is concerned. But this time I cannot microscopically pin point the problem area. I don't want to misrepresent my preblem to JH Audio to make it even worse (who's doing the work based my description with the existing ear impression).

I think the refit is for folks who has rather obvious issue but folks like me who is suffering from rather minute yet still uncomfortable enough to be substantially annoyed..well, the choice is rather questonable.

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #4,363 of 10,743
^ Sorry to see that your JH/13 Pro's aren't up to snuff. I hope that you can find a way to resolve the problem to your satisfaction. Would now be a good time for me to ask you how they compare to your IE8's? :wink:

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #4,364 of 10,743
You can't compare the IE8's with the JH13's IMHO there is just too huge a difference and to be truthfull before getting my JH13's the W3's were my weapon of choice over the IE8's....

I still think the IE8's are good and quite musical but I'm a sucker for details and the W3's and JH13's just tick the box.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Nigel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back