JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jul 31, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #2,641 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it sounds like you're hearing what the rest of us are hearing, but I say , "pics, or you just made that up!"

I have clear ones without any art work. So it doesn't look anything special.
I had requested silver logo but they forgot. But it's ok. The sound and fit is was my main concern.

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #2,642 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have clear ones without any art work. So it doesn't look anything special.
I had requested silver logo but they forgot. But it's ok. The sound and fit is was my main concern.

Are you plugged into the Woo and are you ever going to listen to your HD800 again?'

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #2,643 of 10,747
I guess the "new" gold standard (at least for the next 15 minutes) for portable audio is going to be the JH-13 Pro and the HiFiMan HM-801 portable music player. This will cost us a rather hefty $1800 for both of them. The question is, do you think it will be worth it?

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #2,644 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crackers, jamato. I'm telling you I found the one flaw. You can't eat crackers while listening to them. It's horrible sounding.

So, I'm over my initial crush with the JH13s (I'm lying), and have been listening to both the UE11s and JH13s daily now this past week. I was trying to write up my thoughts, but am too tired tonight, but will hopefully get to that over the next couple days.

Thanks for the review, sling5s. I agree with what you wrote, though I still think the bass heavy R10s are almost perfect (maybe too polite at times, but I love them).

I know what you mean about being tired but wanting to write up your impressions. I have started writing mine up for the 3-way comparison, and hope to post it by this weekend. Everything is a mishmash in my notes and needs to be cleaned up significantly.

And, I agree the R10 are almost perfect as I got to hear them again last weekend at the Colorado Meet, and they were even easy to drive with an RSA P-51 and Shadow. The <2 minutes I got to spend with them on my Eddie Current ZDT did seem to surpass the JH13Pro, and I may have liked the R10 more than the HE90 Orpheus as well. I see why they sell for $4500-$6000 these days. I offered to trade my O2 Mk1 and a few others for the R10, but Ray declined (although he was willing to pay top dollar cash for the O2 Mk1).
tongue.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #2,645 of 10,747
Quote:

I’m no reviewer but I thought I give my impressions:

After years of headphone experience: I came to the disappointing conclusion that there was no such thing as “one perfect headphone” that did everything well.
I had to accept that different headphones did different things well.

So I had to have one headphone for the midrange (sennheiser HD600), and another for to give me the bass kick for percussion oriented music (denons AH-D7000), and another for the treble sparkle and airiness (grado gs-1000).

Then sennheiser announced the HD800. Hope was rekindled. Could these be the “one perfect headphone” that would do everything perfectly or almost perfectly. All the initial reviews seemed to promise this hope.

Then the HD800 came out. Disappointment. I’m not saying it’s a bad headphone. Not in the least. It had by far the best soundstage, instrument separation, midrange presentation and detail I have heard so far.
But the bass was somewhat anemic (at least for my liking) and the amazing details came at a cost-treble hotness. So again, it did many things well but it did not do everything well. It was not a balanced headphone.

Then came the reviews about the JH13pro. The initial hype and reviews again seemed to promise the perfect headphone (in an IEM).
The conclusion? I believe it is the most perfect headphone I have heard so far.
It has the midrange bloom and both the low bottom bass that only a subwoofer can offer with the bass kick and impact that is uncanny for an IEM. and yes, it has the treble detail to die for. But that is not all. The detail is in all the ranges.
There is bass detail, midrange detail and of course treble detail that all together become a feast for the ears. It’s truly uncanny and unparalleled.

See the HD800 had the detail but it’s treble was accentuated where as the detail on the JH13pro doesn’t come at the expense of anything. In fact, the one word that comes to mind is balance-it’s all perfectly balanced.

Lastly, it’s clean. Other headphones may give you the bass, the midrange and the treble but the JH13pro does it with incredible seed and clarity-it’s very very clean. So clean that compared to the JH13pro, other headphones sound dirty.
In fact, I believe it’s the cleanness that gives the JH13pro such amazing instrument separation.

So am I saying that the JH13pro is the perfect headphone? Well, it’s the most perfect headphone I have heard so far (and yes I have heard and sampled all the greats like the Orpheus and R10s). Who knows, Jerry may come out with a triple treble, triple midrange, and triple bass (9 driver customs) that will set the new standard for what perfect is, but until then, this is as closest it gets for me.

Thank You Jerry and all the staff at JH Audio.
dt880smile.png

I think this is the third time your comments have been quoted. I think it is because we are all stunned with the JH-13 Pro and that this dark horse has stole some thunder from the HD800. Who would've thought? Anyway, the question I have has to do with the difference between soundstage and headstage. As relatively perfect as the JH-13 Pro is, it seems just by the very nature that it is an IEM, that the presentation of music must be located in the head. It is difficult for me to imagine that a trumpet will really sound like that it is 20 feet on stage in front of us, even with the JH-13 Pro. Instead, sound is located at some point in or around the head, hence headstage instead of soundstage. Soundstage, to me, would be a term used to describe speakers and not headphones. With that said, it seems to me that the HD800 should have a greater "sense" of headstage (especially being open-backed) than the JH-13 Pro. Since all IEM's sit very close to the cochlea, I think the brain is too smart to be fooled that sound is coming from anywhere else. What I am saying are just concerns and questions more than they are statements. Please weigh in with your opinion.

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #2,646 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this is the third time your comments have been quoted. I think it is because we are all stunned with the JH-13 Pro and that this dark horse has stole some thunder from the HD800. Who would've thought? Anyway, the question I have has to do with the difference between soundstage and headstage. As relatively perfect as the JH-13 Pro is, it seems just by the very nature that it is an IEM, that the presentation of music must be located in the head. It is difficult for me to imagine that a trumpet will really sound like that it is 20 feet on stage in front of us, even with the JH-13 Pro. Instead, sound is located at some point in or around the head, hence headstage instead of soundstage. Soundstage, to me, would be a term used to describe speakers and not headphones. With that said, it seems to me that the HD800 should have a greater "sense" of soundstage (especially being open-backed) than the JH-13 Pro. Since all IEM's sit very close to the cochlea, I think the brain is too smart to be fooled that sound is coming from anywhere else. What I am saying are just concerns and questions more than they are statements. Please weigh in with your opinion.

That is true. The hd800 does have bigger soundstage. But it loses to the JH13pro in other areas. So therefore, the JH13pro still has over all balance superiority.

Jul 31, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #2,647 of 10,747
The 13's seem to transcend the typical definition of in or out of head, stage.

I have been trying to figure it out. It is like you are transported. You do have the stage in your head, yet there are sound to the far right and left and deep. It is your head but not. It is, for me, very difficult to explain. The stage, world that exists, is now what you hear and it doesn't really matter if it is a head stage, it can not be defined by that, it is a stage, and it is music.

Jul 31, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #2,648 of 10,747
Okay, I'm going to bed and will cry myself to sleep because this Pico sounds so damn good out of my desktop, but the static on my laptop makes it almost unlistenable.
frown.gif
And, I bought it to use specifically with my laptop.

Hopefully, one of you brilliant people will have a solution for me by the time I log on again in the morning.

Thanks.

Jul 31, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #2,649 of 10,747
Quote:

I’m no reviewer but I thought I give my impressions:
Then came the reviews about the JH13pro. The initial hype and reviews again seemed to promise the perfect headphone (in an IEM).
The conclusion? I believe it is the most perfect headphone I have heard so far....
Thank You Jerry and all the staff at JH Audio.
dt880smile.png

Your post is the quintessential JH13 experience in a nutshell. Welcome to the fold!

Jul 31, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #2,650 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I'm going to bed and will cry myself to sleep because this Pico sounds so damn good out of my desktop, but the static on my laptop makes it almost unlistenable.
frown.gif
And, I bought it to use specifically with my laptop.

Hopefully, one of you brilliant people will have a solution for me by the time I log on again in the morning.

Thanks.

Which laptop do you have? I missed it if you posted before. And obvious question (I might have missed as well), how many USB ports do you have? And have you tried other USB ports. If you are using a PC and have Foobar2000 (if not, you should). Are you using ASIO4ALL?

If not, it's time to for a new laptop.
tongue.gif
Heheh, yes, I would change my computer for my JH13's.

-Ed

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #2,651 of 10,747
I got an idea, why don't you try a USB Hub.

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #2,652 of 10,747
I am listening to some Wagner right now with the OEM Black Gate version amp and the imaging, depth and width and separation of instruments is nothing short of excellent. Very realistic.

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #2,653 of 10,747
yep, a powered hub and a well shielded USB cable should do the trick. dont know if you can get portable powered hubs like battery powered
confused.gif
it will be the dodgy power supply and grounding scheme used in your laptop

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #2,654 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ AudioPhile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please excuse my ignorance. I thought balanced armatures don't burn in? Or unless the crossover chip is experiencing a burn in.

i've often seen it said that balanced armatures require no break in. why should that be so? how do they work?

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #2,655 of 10,747
lol, where did you pull that quote from. voltag3 was banned again weeks ago. as for break-in on IEMs I cant see why not myself. the caps in the crossover will require some, but likely not much burn-in IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back