JH Audio is it damaging to hearing?
Jun 28, 2010 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SeeingSounds

New Head-Fier
hey guys I'm a newbie when it comes to these type of things so to some of you please forgive my ignorance. but I've heard that certain headphones slowly cause hearing loss (mainly the cheap ones). Recently I looked into the JH Audio website which is said to have the best headphones in the world. I like to listen to head phones for about2- 4 hours a day on a work day and about 8-10 hours whenever I travel. Are these headphones ok for a listener like me?

Jun 28, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 9
Using a specific earphone such as the JH Audio customs should not have a big difference in it's hearing damage as anything else. However it all depends on the user. If you listen at safe levels any earphone or headphone for that matter should be fine. If you listen at ear splitting levels then I wouldn't expect your hearing to hold up well. Typically with isolating earphones you should be able to turn down the volume compared to buds or any non isolating headphone and thus protect your hearing.

Jun 28, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 9
All headphones, iems at a constant loud level will damage your ears. You don`t have tinnitus already? Lucky you.

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 9
A constant ringing or high pitch tone in your ear caused by too long exposure to too loud sounds. Any sound source can be safe or damaging depending on for how long you listen how loud

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 9
If anything, it will help prevent hearing loss because the volume can be turned down thanks to the isolation from background noise. That's only, of course, if you do turn the volume down.

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #8 of 9
As long you listen at "normal" (I guess 50-60 db) or lower volumes, you'll be fine. The custom fit of JH IEMs actually ensures that you have the highest level of noise isolation so you can enjoy your music at safe volumes. However I do recommend taking a break from continuous use of IEMs, give your ears a rest after about 2 hours.

Jun 29, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #9 of 9
Though I did hear from one of my physics teacher back in my school days, that because IEM are closer to the ear drum, the bands in it don't have enough time to adjust to the volumes compared to using normal headphones or loudspeakers, so technically they might even be worse for your ear.

Note that I just heard that from him, so I'm not sure wether he is right or wrong...maybe someone else has better insights into that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back