Jecklin Float Electrostatic: Refurbishment & Review (lots of pictures)
Apr 21, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #16 of 87
From the look of Duggeh's driver, this was a simplification of Janszen's original sheathed-conductor stator design. My memory may not be on target, but the photos remind me of my old Superex PEP-79. Wonder where Jecklin got this thing from.

Hey, do you suppose that's Jorg Jecklin in that Dutch ad?

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #17 of 87
Excellent review & pics Duggeh .. it almost makes me want to wear them :p

Apr 21, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #18 of 87
Nice review and great looking restoration Duggeh. Nothing wrong with the crash helmet look IMO
wink.gif

Ant

Apr 21, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #19 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the look of Duggeh's driver, this was a simplification of Janszen's original sheathed-conductor stator design. My memory may not be on target, but the photos remind me of my old Superex PEP-79. Wonder where Jecklin got this thing from.

Hey, do you suppose that's Jorg Jecklin in that Dutch ad?

Jecklin used RTR drivers in the beginning and they were all a rip off of the original Janszen design. It was maybe Precide that changed to their own drivers when the took over the production.

The PEP-74 uses a carbon copy of the Stax SR-3 driver. The only notable difference is the size of the plastic mold.

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #20 of 87
What were these Janszen drivers used for? Were they the same size as the Float drivers and used as panels in speakers? Or were they larger varients on the same basic square of mylar?

Apr 23, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #23 of 87
Using altavista babelfish and a little common sense tweeking:

Jecklin Float Electrostatic ear-phone THE FLOAT are a free on the head floating music donor. For people who do not want hear their music less than concerning the very best loudspeakers. With the JECKLIN FLOAT on the head (ann the head) you preserve still some contact with your surroundings. You do not sit as solitary of your family at verveemden. However, only, solitary all information, shouting with joy recensies test-overzichten and amplifier data do not wait for your briefkaarje. We have only no more recommended retail price. consumer importance. To say them.

Apr 23, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #24 of 87
"However, only, solitary all information, shouting with joy recensies test-overzichten and amplifier data do not wait for your briefkaarje." LOL! I'd like to see someone decrypt that!

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #25 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
What were these Janszen drivers used for?

Tweeter panels. They made "hybrid" speakers with acoustic suspension woofers and a group of four of the tweeter modules angled so they'd be tangent to a sphere above the woofer, all in a conventional cabinet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
Were they the same size as the Float drivers and used as panels in speakers?

Yep. But they looked different and had features (insulated wire stators) that helped prevent arcing.

I'm trying to find some good closeups of the Janszen module. As I recall, it was 6 inches square, black, made of a thermoset plastic like Bakelite, and unique-looking because of the wire stator design.

Apr 23, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #26 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What were these Janszen drivers used for? Were they the same size as the Float drivers and used as panels in speakers? Or were they larger varients on the same basic square of mylar?

They were also used as add-on tweeters for the old AR speakers and used in more complicated designs like the ESS SuperQuad. ESS used RTR units but they are the same.

Apr 23, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #27 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"However, only, solitary all information, shouting with joy recensies test-overzichten and amplifier data do not wait for your briefkaarje." LOL! I'd like to see someone decrypt that!

Duggeh's Babelfish/common-sense translation was pretty good, except for the last part
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Wel alleen, niet eenzaam.

Alle inlichtingen, juichende recensies, test-overzichten en versterkergegevens wachten op uw briefkaartje. We hebben hier alleen geen adviesprijs meer. Consumentenbelang. Zeggen ze.

On your own, but not lonely.

All information, rave reviews, test overviews and amplifierdata wait for your postcard. We just don't have a MSRP. In the interest of the consumer. They say.

Apr 23, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #28 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duggeh's Babelfish/common-sense translation was pretty good, except for the last part
smily_headphones1.gif

On your own, but not lonely.

When I had these, you still ended up on your own. Everyone else left the room because of the amount of sound they made to others in the room.

"HeadQuads" was the term used by the guy I sold mine to.

Apr 24, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #30 of 87
Great write up duggeh, i have some float electrostatics and some new foam so your guide will be very helpful. I would like to add that i have tried mine with a sony ta-fb940r and a musical fidelity xray v3 and the sound was awesome but when i connected through my tube buffer and rotel pre/power the sound was simply astonishing with the smoothest midrange i have come across (and i run nautilus 803's with the awesome fst mid)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back