JDSLabs C421 Preorder is live...
Jul 18, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #511 of 692
Quote:

Yeah I believe John replied that the output impedance is a result of extra ferrites (IIRC) that were added just before the output to help minimize/prevent electrical interference (cell phones, etc).  I've yet to run into any issue, though my cans are 70ohm so not as far off the rule you mentioned.  John also mentioned that you could request him not to add the ferrites on a custom build if you were concerned about the output impedance.

Alright, thanks for the impressions. Since nobody seems to have commented on how it impacted their sound, I'm guessing it's not a huge deal. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #512 of 692
Quote:
Hi alphaphoenix,

What do you prefer exactly on the AD8620?

Between the two, I can say that to my ears, the OPA2227 is definitely more exciting and has immediate impact.  The mids are very forward and comes right out.  If you've ever listened to or use to a recessive sound, the sound from the OPA2227 pulls it up front.  It's like listening to the SE530 and then the MTPC.  That's kind of how I compare the two opamps. The AD8620 is more balanced sounding to me and pulls more micro details over the OPA2227.  You really can't go wrong either way. IMO, the OPA2227 will put an immediate smile on your face and is a much more forgiving opamp to mediocre recordings, and the AD8620 is just the opposite where it really shines with well made recordings.  I hope that helps.

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #513 of 692
That totally responds to my question. Thanks a tone, mate ; )

I'm an analytical guy, I value the micro-detail immenselly, so who knows if the A8620 isn't the best for me. I got the AD2227 already, but can sell it eventually (although I'm VERY impressed with it, compared to the FiiO E11)

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #514 of 692
I am looking for a good combo to relax. My main genres are vocal, instrument, zen, new age. I have Fiio E10 and HD598, now I wonder which version is good for my choice, OPA2227 or OPA 8620, but according to above comments I think I am going to choose OPA2227 because I want unoffensive treble, not focusing micro detail too much, forgiving opamp to mediocre recordings. I also think HD598 is forward headphone so a forward amp can complement my HD598, and the bass, bass boss setting can help for improving the bass of HD598 for sure, right?. Thanks!

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #515 of 692
With those (cough, cough...) phones, the AD2227. And yes, it will improve the bass, but don't expect miracles from such (cough. cough...) "anemic" phone. I have tried them bi-amped (being one of them the ZO2) and even so...

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #516 of 692
Quote:

Between the two, I can say that to my ears, the OPA2227 is definitely more exciting and has immediate impact.  The mids are very forward and comes right out. [...] IMO, the OPA2227 will put an immediate smile on your face and is a much more forgiving opamp to mediocre recordings, and the AD8620 is just the opposite where it really shines with well made recordings.  I hope that helps.

Yeah that helps re-affirm my 2227 choice, as I enjoy the more forward presentation and the forgiving nature (since I'm not a lossless guy).  I'd still love to hear and 8620 one day.

Quote:
I am looking for a good combo to relax. My main genres are vocal, instrument, zen, new age. I have Fiio E10 and HD598, now I wonder which version is good for my choice, OPA2227 or OPA 8620, but according to above comments I think I am going to choose OPA2227 because I want unoffensive treble, not focusing micro detail too much, forgiving opamp to mediocre recordings.

I'm thinking for those genres you might actually benefit from the more laid-back presentation (less forward) of the 8620.  The 2227, especially paired with already-forward cans, might be too much?  That's just speculation though.

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #517 of 692
Yes, you have your right point there but I am also a fan of vocal and C421 with 8620 seems to be like a V shape according to someone who tried it. Moreover, I am not a fan of laid-back. I think vocalist should be at forward position, center at 12 o'clock, in front of the audience or listeners.

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #518 of 692
Subscribed... 
popcorn.gif

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #520 of 692
Quote:
Yes, you have your right point there but I am also a fan of vocal and C421 with 8620 seems to be like a V shape according to someone who tried it. Moreover, I am not a fan of laid-back. I think vocalist should be at forward position, center at 12 o'clock, in front of the audience or listeners.

Ah well when you put it that way, then the 2227 is definitely a better choice for you.  :)

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #523 of 692
I always had this doubt: does the LOD really make a difference? For eg, would a ipod Classic with LOD beat a Sony A865 with headphone out and a silver cable? (amped, of course)

Jul 21, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #524 of 692
Quote:
I always had this doubt: does the LOD really make a difference? For eg, would a ipod Classic with LOD beat a Sony A865 with headphone out and a silver cable? (amped, of course)

About the first question, from what I've read around here before I recently bought mine, yes it does! About the second question, I guess it would, because headphone out is already amped, so when you use it with another external amp, you're amping the original signal twice! 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back